Bridget Jones's baby!

(15 Posts)
Average rating find out more
KimmySchmidtsSmile Thu 24-Mar-16 02:14:44

Okay fellow insomniacs
So I have just seen the trailer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zQkOY5H5d2g

And I will end up watching it cos I like the cast and Renée on film does look more like Renée than Renée in the flesh.
I also know I shouldn't be so hmm given that the pre production, script rewrites etc took ages so it explains why but the annoying thing is it will not bear much resemblance to Helen's final columns in the Independent, the BridgetJonesBaby columns nor any resemblance to Mad about the Boy (unless this becomes the fourth film as a possibility as Bridget is in her forties in BJB but 51 in mad about the boy).
I cannot get over Daniel Cleaver not being in it despite Hugh Grant disliking the script.

SPOILER in the original columns it was also a Whose baby is it? Between Daniel and Mark and Bridget had Daniel's baby and moved in with him although Mark offered to adopt it. So...could be that Hugh Grant could not do the Nine Months movie again (been there, done that with Julieanne Moore) or could be that Helen stuck to her guns as she always preferred Daniel to Mark and he feared a backlash from fans or that they did the Mark happy ever after and he felt like he was being seen to walk away from his kids which given that he has NOT done that in real life but the press would have had a field day might have put him off the project). Either way, looks like Patrick Dempsey is taking that plot role. Presumably to keep the fan base demographic happy Mark ends up with the girl, they call their baby Mabel, get hitched and still set up for fourth film even though iirc their two kids were born in wedlock). that is, if a fourth film is ever made, given Colin would be in a coffin at the start and then in flashback mode only à la truly, madly, deeply and they would need to cast both tomboy and older bloke for her that the audience would warm to. I see the tomboy as that bloke from One Day or the ex spy kid from that stripper movie. I see the teacher/ex military as Greg Davies but he's never going to be cast is he?!! END SPOILER

I was one of the few that did like Mad about the boy and would rather have seen them do that as a third film than the Baby plot personally given it is Cleaver-less.
Are you going to see it?
Do you like McDreamy?
Do you think it will be good or pants?
Do you like Colin's distinguished looks?

KimmySchmidtsSmile Thu 24-Mar-16 02:22:40

bridgetarchive.altervista.org/index2005.htm

The original baby plot 2005

bridgetarchive.altervista.org/index2006.htm

The original baby plot to final column entry 2006

I must add, if final redraft of film script replacing Daniel with McDreamy has been steered by Emma Thompson then it may be in good hands, I think she is a fine scriptwriter.

KimmySchmidtsSmile Thu 24-Mar-16 02:26:14

Depending on how they wrote Daniel's absence in this one it is feasible he could make a return as a cameo in Mad about the boy if they end up filming that as the fourth one in the series, his return would make up for there being less Colin wink

KimmySchmidtsSmile Thu 24-Mar-16 02:33:11

Oh offs my excitement may have been somewhat premature.
16th September. 16th SEPTEMBER!!!
That's six months away. Ridiculously early for a trailer. Thought Ghostbusters 3 was bad enough.
Huge mistake in both. They should have released Ghostbusters 3 at Halloween and this film at Xmas (not the 25th obviously, not saying BJB is the new messiah but if you are going to release a preview this sledding early you may as well have done the nine months countdown thing with a Twitter tie in). As you were!

KimmySchmidtsSmile Thu 24-Mar-16 10:28:32

BJBBump

TheHiphopopotamus Wed 30-Mar-16 08:25:57

I hated both the baby plot line and Mad About the Boy so I really hope the film veers away from both.

Daniel was an arsehole so the plot line in the baby storyline pissed me off no end. Also, I couldn't relate to the Bridget in MATB at all. She'd been left massively rich so didn't need to make ends meet, therefore she could still go clubbing until the early hours of the morning and still acted like she was in her twenties.

The only good thing about this film is that it's been written by Emma Thompson so there's a small ray of hope that it'll be alright. But personally, I think they should have left it (and Renee still looks odd. Of course it's her face so she can do wants she wants with it, but she had such a pretty and distinctive look before).

TheHiphopopotamus Wed 30-Mar-16 08:27:32

By the way, I realise the film is about her baby, so when I say I hope it veers away from it, I mean I hope it doesn't follow the exact plot line of the columns grin

RaeSkywalker Wed 30-Mar-16 08:43:47

I didn't like Mad about the Boy either, Hiphopopotamus. Very excited about the new film though!

katemiddletonsothermum Wed 06-Apr-16 23:39:36

I liked MATB as I felt it was good closure. I'd cast Chris Hemsworth as tomboy, Hugh Bonneville as leather jacket man and Daniel Craig as ... Daniel Craig.

AvaLeStrange Fri 08-Apr-16 17:47:11

I never did read the last columns but I've enjoyed all the books.

I'm just ridiculously chuffed about the timing of the film - I know what I'm doing for my birthday already grin!

Noshowofmojo Sat 24-Sep-16 18:19:03

I wasn't particularly bothered about seeing the film but I'm so glad I did. It was hilarious, I absolutely roared and had to hold my stomach as it ached so much from laughing - I couldn't even catch my breath sometimes. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Fri 30-Sep-16 09:17:18

I watched the film last night.
I thought it was bloody brilliant!! Laughed and had a bit of a welling up moment too. blush I swear pg and motherhood has ruined me

I read MATB this week to 'catch up' as I never got round to reading it when it came out.
Then when I was watching the film I thought I'd missed a book out as it bore absolutely NO relation to MATB.
But I hadn't known about the columns so I guess the story was there all along.
It tidies the plot up nicely to do a MATB film which I read last night on wiki that they are planning.

Loved it.

NapQueen Thu 10-Nov-16 08:12:39

So does this movie sit between the first two books/movies and MATB?

So having watched and loved the new film can I now pick up the newest book?

Trills Thu 10-Nov-16 08:22:00

The film timeline and the book timeline are not quite in sync, some things happen differently, the year that they are set in is different, but yes approximately.

xvideos2016 Wed 16-Nov-16 20:50:39

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now