Housebound on Netflix

(10 Posts)
BitOfFun Tue 08-Mar-16 23:01:39

I thoroughly recommend this darkly comic horror-thriller, an indie-type gem made on New Zealand. It's a real must-see if you've enjoyed things like Hot Fuzz, although it is genuinely tense and even quite moving at points.

It involves Kylie, a young woman on house arrest at her childhood home, the scene of spooky goings-on, who is as tormented by the claustrophobia of being stuck with her garrulous mum and taciturn stepfather as she is by things that go bump in the night. On a tag, she can't leave the premises, but trouble still finds her. There are twists and turns that I honestly did not see coming, and fortunately plenty of moments of black humour that relieve the tension.

If you are looking for something a bit different but that will give you a scare, check this one out on Netflix.

Merrylegs Tue 08-Mar-16 23:07:23

Ooh thank you. I think I watched Begin Again on your recommendation and really enjoyed it (and discovered Mark Ruff-hello). Will give this a go. It's not horror though is it? Not v good with horror.

PresidentOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 08-Mar-16 23:11:23

Merrylegs

Ooh thank you. I think I watched Begin Again on your recommendation and really enjoyed it (and discovered Mark Ruff-hello). Will give this a go. It's not horror though is it? Not v good with horror.

Arf at Ruffhello

Merrylegs Tue 08-Mar-16 23:11:27

Oh soz just saw you say 'horror-thriller.' If is more thriller than horror will try.

BitOfFun Wed 09-Mar-16 09:17:21

It IS scary, but it's tempered with humour. It's more Hot Fuzz than Wolf Creek.

Glad you enjoyed Mark Ruff-hello grin

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 11-Mar-16 18:18:17

Doh - I've been looking for the title - thinking you were stuck at home (broken leg or something !) lol !! My first blonde moment of the day !! Tee hee !!! blush

MissTessmacher Fri 11-Mar-16 18:19:57

I hated Hot Fuzz but still like the sound of this!

Have you watched What We Do In The Shadows? Fantastic grin

BitOfFun Sat 12-Mar-16 13:25:45

Ooh, I'll look that up, thanks!

grin@ blonde moment.

BagelGoesWalking Sun 20-Mar-16 00:38:02

Begin Again is great.

Watch Short Term 12 with Brie Larson (before she did Room). It's a really lovely film, her co-star John Gallagher Jr is very sweet. Sounds depressing if you read the synopsis but it's also hopeful and inspiring.

www.imdb.com/title/tt2370248/

Childrenofthestones Thu 21-Apr-16 09:30:31

Watched it with my two daughters 15 and 13, we all thought it was brilliant.
A big fat 9 from them :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now