The Hateful Eight

(15 Posts)
Average rating find out more
Flowersarebest Tue 19-Jan-16 13:06:35

Went along to see this with two massive Quentin Tarantino fans. I thought the script was great and it was beautifully acted, great cast! QT does not disappoint with his usual bonkers take on life.
I'm fearful of saying much more as I'd hate to spoil it for everyone.

Anyone got any thoughts? How would you rate this film, is it among QT's best?

sneakyhobbitses Tue 19-Jan-16 14:31:32

I loved it - but with the exception of Deathproof, I've loved every single one of his films. The whole cast was amazing but I particularly loved Samuel L Jackson and Jennifer Jason Leigh. A bit sad Channing Tatum wasn't in it more - he was surprisingly good! The cinematography and score were possibly the best in any of his films, maybe joint with Inglorious Basterds.

Saying that, I hope he doesn't make another western for a while - between this and Django (which technically wasn't a western, but still) I'd like to see something new next.

tkband3 Tue 19-Jan-16 14:45:38

I saw it last week and really enjoyed it, even more than I thought I would - it was really funny. We saw it in panavision, so there was an interval, which was handy, although it was slightly annoying because they didn't give any warning so I was in the loo when it restarted and missed a crucial bit (fortunately DH could tell me what had happened).

I agree that Samuel L Jackson and Jennifer Jason Leigh were amazing but I also thought Kurt Russell was great.

I haven't seen a Quentin Tarantino film for quite a while, but it's made me want to catch up - I'd really like to see Django Unchained.

Ridingthegravytrain Tue 19-Jan-16 14:50:38

I was really disappointed I found it quite dull. And I usually live his films

sneakyhobbitses Tue 19-Jan-16 15:04:48

Yes tkband3 - Kurt Russell was great too! He's one of those actors who I never see much of, but given the right material he can be brilliant. I think Tarantino has a knack for getting the best out of his cast.

Definitely watch Django - it's marvellous and I think very much a companion piece to Hateful Eight.

slug Tue 19-Jan-16 16:00:49

Sausage fest. Total Beschdel fail

Nyancat Tue 19-Jan-16 16:15:21

I was really disappointed by it and I love most of his films, thought the acting was great, but with the cast couldn't really have gone wrong, liked the score, bits were funny, but the film as a whole bored me. Was gutted as I'd really been looking forward to it.

gingerboy1912 Tue 19-Jan-16 21:48:39

I found it dull and felt it dragged. My favourite QT film is inglorious basterds

LassWiTheDelicateAir Wed 20-Jan-16 14:02:12

Bored, bored , bored me.

Pulp Fiction set in the wild west without the clever story structure.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Wed 20-Jan-16 14:06:11

Was also disappointed. Agatha Christie with guns and swearing. And three hours long.

Tomorrowisanewday Sun 24-Jan-16 17:34:35

I loved it. Hugely surprised that Channing Tatum gave such a good performance, would have liked his role to be bigger.

Olinguito Sat 20-Feb-16 01:04:50

I enjoyed this a lot - much funnier than I expected and some great performances.

LottieTee Thu 25-Feb-16 20:45:40

I was underwhelmed. It's still beautifully shot and acted and very 'Tarantino', but the story isn't anywhere near as strong Inglourious Bastards.

LottieTee Thu 25-Feb-16 20:46:17

...but Channing Tatum was amazing!

bilbodog Thu 25-Feb-16 22:42:59

Love qt films - I find I need to see them 2/3 times to get the most out of them so always buy to watch at home. I was disappointed with the soundtrack as I have all his others and love them but so far have no desire to buy this one. He has said this is his last film - I hope not!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now