Dad's Army!

(20 Posts)
Average rating find out more
littlemermaid80 Fri 08-Jan-16 21:21:55

My DH is a MASSIVE Dad's army fan, as in he's got the entire box set, knows all the episodes/characters etc.
He's being so negative about the new film it's actually quite funny grin
To quote him yesterday; "No one who is a true Dad's army fan would go to see this sacrilege..." Etc etc.

I love the original series but I still fully plan on going to watch the new movie, it looks funny and I think the characters seem well matched to the new actors plus I love Bill Nighy

Anyone else planning to see it? Thoughts on the new version?
Anyone else have a DH who is a die hard fan of the original?

TrionicLettuce Sun 10-Jan-16 04:55:38

Never mind DH, I'm the die hard fan in this house! My whole family has a tendency to quote it fairly frequently grin

I've just attempted (and failed) to sit through a trailer so I think it's fairly safe to say I won't be seeing it!

I've been rather cynical since the cast was announced and the very tiny hope I had that Toby Jones could save the whole thing has disappeared.

I think the original ensemble (before the loss of James Beck, it was never the same without him sad) is what made the programme really great. I just can't imagine a completely new cast, plus new writers, recreating that magic.

I shall join your DH in the curmudgeonly corner blush

Greydog Sun 10-Jan-16 05:02:08

I think the whole film looks dreadful, and I certainly won't be going to watch it. I don't know what it is about Toby Jones, but he makes my skin crawl. As an aside did anyone see the Dad's Army episode last night - "Mum's Army" - Capt Mainwaring falls for Mrs Gray? A sad little tale.

Peevedquitter Sun 10-Jan-16 19:24:47

There is no way I would pay to see this film but would possibly watch in many years time when on tv.

The only interesting thing is the casting of that tall skinny lad out of the Inbetweeners as the new Pike.

I think it's going to bomb tbh and am with your DH.

ThursdayLastWeek Sun 10-Jan-16 19:27:16

Sorry littlemermaid I'm with your DH grin

originalmavis Sun 10-Jan-16 19:29:24

Was Mrs Grey in allo allo?

TheBestChocolateIsFree Sun 10-Jan-16 19:31:52

I love Bill Nighy, he's always worth the price of admission. But Tony Jones has a mountain to climb if he's going to be as good as John Sessions in the Christmas "making of" docudrama.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 10-Jan-16 19:32:15

I loved the programme, and I'm sure we'll see the film, hope its good and we don't regret going.

littlemermaid80 Mon 11-Jan-16 10:19:26

Lettuce yes I agree it was never the same without Walker sad

"Mum's Army" was a great episode!

Davros Mon 11-Jan-16 16:02:32

DH and I both love Dad's Army and will definitely go to see the film. I got DH a Corporal Jones "don't panic" t-shirt for Xmas grin

Greydog Mon 11-Jan-16 16:09:21

Mavis sorry - just seen your post! Mrs Grey was Edith Artois in Allo, Allo!

Floralnomad Mon 11-Jan-16 16:15:19

Dh and I are both fans of the original series and I also won't be going to see the film , have seen trailers but it's not doing it for me ,the original people were just too well cast !

ComposHatComesBack Tue 12-Jan-16 11:20:02

I'm a big fan of the original and certain things irk me about the trailer. Firstly Wilson is wearing his medal ribbons. That's the whole thing about Wilson is that he is modest, gentlemanly, self effacing and enigmatic. In the TV series you only find out he'd been a Captain in the First World War in the last episode. Also Robert Bathurst did such a great job of playing John Le Mes in that BBC 4 docu-drama that I can't fathom why he wasn't cast in this. I worrry Bill Night will ham it up a bit too much and the subtlty will be lost.

Whilst Toby Jones is about as good as it gets for Mainwaring, the bit when he runs away from the bull isn't in character. For all his faults, Mainwaring's bravery and loyalty to his men are his redeaming features. This makes me worry they are going to make him a buffoon.

BramblePie Tue 12-Jan-16 11:21:24

I will go to see it, can't wait!

iwantanewcar Tue 12-Jan-16 11:33:44

The docu drama at Xmas was great. I really enjoyed that so don't think I will be seeing the film.

Greydog Tue 12-Jan-16 12:44:24

Compo I think that when the old series was made it was done with affection, i think this will be slapstick. And as you say inaccurate. Even the trailer is rubbish - “The year is 1944. On the brink of defeat, our nation has a secret weapon. These heroes are Britain’s last line of defence.” Well - no - By 1944 it was obvious that Germany were going to lose. DD was June 44. And the HG was stood down in December 44. It makes me cringe.

ComposHatComesBack Tue 12-Jan-16 14:13:29

That puzzled me too grey basic history!

Horsemad Sun 17-Jan-16 07:59:49

I saw a trailer for this at the cinema the other night and it did nothing for me.
We're big Dad's Army fans here and it just felt wrong, wrong WRONG watching this cast trying to recreate the magic of the original. sad

Doubt we'll go to watch.

CallieTorres Sun 17-Jan-16 08:36:28

So what if you dont like the TV series, do you think there will be anything to like about the film?

Greydog Sun 17-Jan-16 13:40:11

I can't see that there would be anything to like about the film! Sorry, Callie
not seen anything that would make me want to pay to see it. I know it's "entertainment" and as such liberties are taken with history, but if even the opening credits are so wrong, it just doesn't bode well...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now