Anyone seen Carol? The film.. I haven't lost a woman named Carol

(15 Posts)
Average rating find out more
extrastrongblackcoffee Tue 08-Dec-15 20:22:38

Hi,

I'm bi, in a relationship with a woman and in all honesty I had no desire to see this film. The thing is, people assume that because I'm familiar with the 'ways of the woman wink grin that I must be interested in seeing Carol....because it's a film about lesbianism hmm

Anyway, I've been almost forced to read a few reviews and actually, it sounds alright and wouldn't mind giving it a go. I wouldn't want to disappoint any of my stereotyping friends!

Any good?

Thanks

orlakielyimnot Tue 08-Dec-15 20:25:03

I presumed it is based on a book by Patriaha Highsmith, which is good but part of the charm is the 50's feel of it, so not very contemporary. Of course I might be wrong!

mmack Thu 10-Dec-15 23:40:50

I really want to see it. I thought Rooney Mara was fantastic in Side Effects and Cate Blanchett is always good. I like the 50s look as well. I'm feeling slightly pressured into seeing Brooklyn first though as I'm Irish. I hate the way there's nothing except Avengers movies all year and then all the good ones come along together in December.

Nepotism Thu 10-Dec-15 23:53:26

Saw it with DD. Beautifully filmed and acted but I confess we both fell asleep!

Cerseirys Fri 11-Dec-15 00:13:41

All to do with awards season mmack!

echt Sun 20-Dec-15 06:54:09

Not out here in Au, yet, but with Todd Haynes as the director, I'm gagging to see it.

Watch his "Far From Heaven" for an idea of his style.

CherryPits Sun 20-Dec-15 15:46:52

I have no desire to see the film either. 1950s? No thanks.
Also I read the script years and years and years ago (its taken that long to get it off the ground) and it weren't that good.

BrendaandEddie Sun 20-Dec-15 15:59:34

my dad went
Wont stop going on about how ace it is. He is 81

I plan to read it.

BrendaandEddie Sun 20-Dec-15 16:00:18

god Cherry - You shouldn't dismiss Highsmiths writing - read Ripley or, even better imo, Deep water

CherryPits Sun 20-Dec-15 19:23:50

BrendaandEddie. Not dismissing Highsmith. She wrote the book, not the script. I read the script.

Dancergirl Wed 23-Dec-15 19:57:53

Me and dh saw it. It was a bit slow but we enjoyed it. Beautifully acted.

velourvoyageur Sat 09-Jan-16 10:33:37

I'm bi and like watching lesbian films! grin (not Jenny's Wedding though, yawn - gave up halfway through)

I loved Cate in this - so poised and self-assured. Didn't like Rooney Mara looking like a frightened little mouse. Very overplayed IMO. Not her fault, the script's.
I read the book as a teenager and did like it.

Liked recognising Lorna's fiancé from OITNB (hope it was him!)

DoreenLethal Sat 09-Jan-16 10:43:46

I saw it - can't say I'd recommend people spend good money at the cinema to see it. Quite dull. Takes ages to get going.

FlysInDreams Sat 09-Jan-16 11:00:05

I've read it and am wondering whether to see the film. I always worry about films based on books I've enjoyed though.

echt Wed 20-Jan-16 06:26:15

DH and I saw this on the weekend. So very beautifully filmed. A slow burner and all the better for that. I've not thought much about Blanchett as an actor, in the sense of not thinking of her at all rather than disparaging. She is very good indeed.

Wonderful; so much so we rushed home to watch Todd Haynes's "Far From Heaven". I've taught the the film for a few years, and DH was all "Why has no-one told me about this amazing director!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now