Favourite, magical, film moments.

(133 Posts)
wickedlazy Tue 25-Aug-15 16:58:43

Mine is the E.T flying scene. Makes me cry with happiness every time. Other favourites are the scene in Hook where the little lost boy believes in Peter and another when he gives the other lost boy the sword. What are yours?

MrsEmmaPeel Tue 25-Aug-15 17:17:54

I love Peter Pan. Second star on the right and fly straight on until morning.

The Goonies. When they find the treasure map in the attic, and Mikey's childhood innocence about one-eyed Willie. Although I was actually only about two years old when they made this film. The instrumental score jolts me back to childhood too.

I love all the Disney fairytale classics. I bought them all on DVD for me my little nephews to watch a couple of years ago for when they stayover with me and DP.

Are you talking about just kid's films or all types of films OP?

wickedlazy Tue 25-Aug-15 17:21:58

All types of films. An adult one of mine would be in the shawshank redemption, when red recounts how Andy escapes, and how he was the only man that ever climbed through a river of shit and came out clean on the other side. Think the childhood ones hit you more in the feels though.

LauraChant Tue 25-Aug-15 17:24:12

The bit where the music swells and the snowman flies into the air with the boy in The Snowman

Like everyone else in the world, "Daddy my Daddy" in The Railway Children.

Clawdy Tue 25-Aug-15 17:26:41

The kiss at the top of the carousel in East of Eden.
The first glimpse of Harry Lime in the doorway in The Third Man.
That wonderful smile from Marlon Brando as Johnny, right near the end of The Wild One.

vestandknickers Tue 25-Aug-15 17:32:09

When Daniel Day Lewis round through a battle to save Madeleine Stowe in Last of the Mohicans. He kills a few people on the way but all the time his eyes are locked on her. It's the most romantic scene ever.
Oh and he's a bit gorgeous. All flowy hair and intensity.

wigglesrock Tue 25-Aug-15 17:35:59

When Gregory Peck walks away from Audrey Hepburn at the end of Roman Holiday <sniff>.

Bellebella Tue 25-Aug-15 17:36:24

The ending of the 90s Miracle on 34th Street when Santa is found innocent and the girl finally believes in him. My favourite christmas film.

The first Harry Potter film when they walk into the Great Hall. As a child I loved the books and won tickets to see the first film. I loved how magical it was to my 8 year old self.

As an adult the Notebook always makes me cry and be happy at their love for each other at the end.

whitershadeofpale Tue 25-Aug-15 17:37:47

You've mentioned a few of mine but where black and white changes to colour in The Wizard of Oz.

TobleroneBoo Tue 25-Aug-15 17:38:22

Well I cried at the end of pitch perfect 2. I liked the message

MrsEmmaPeel Tue 25-Aug-15 17:38:45

Love, The Snowman. Hate the new one with the dog.
I don't like The Railway Children.

Yes to Shawshank. In Ghost when Carl has been killed and Molly finally sees and hears Sam. Then Oda Mae says "Sam, they're waiting for you Sam" <sobs, even more since Patrick Swayze died 6 years ago>

Imitation of Life. The funeral scene, enough said.

BoboChic Tue 25-Aug-15 17:45:49

The birthday cake in the car boot in 37.2 le matin (Betty Blue).
The bit in Le Hussard sur le Toit where Juliette Binoche has cholera and is saved by Vincent Perez.

wickedlazy Tue 25-Aug-15 17:51:28

Another one, Star Wars episode 6, right at the end, when we see Vadar, Yodo and Obi-Wan standing together.

Nataleejah Tue 25-Aug-15 17:55:04

Hellboy. Where he gets a rosary cross burning in his hand and then breaks off his horns.

Icimoi Tue 25-Aug-15 17:56:50

Singing in the rain - the sequence when Gene Kelly is singing in the rain, natch.

BalloonSlayer Tue 25-Aug-15 17:58:22

The end of Excalibur when the knight is told to throw the sword back into the lake. The music is fab (Wagner?) and the last shot of the hand holding the sword up vertically before suddenly disappearing back into the lake just makes me shiver.

here

CoffeeAndOranges Tue 25-Aug-15 18:15:03

It's very cheesy but in Moulin Rouge, I just love the first duet with Ewan and Nicole, where they sing 'heroes'. It just keeps getting more & more over the top but is so well done it doesn't matter.

And I love the scene in the Nightmare Before Christmas when Jack goes to Christmastown for the first time - the details are magical. And of course the ending where him and Sally kiss with the moon behind them. Beautiful.

Not all my favourite films are musicals!

cruikshank Tue 25-Aug-15 18:29:56

Fred and Ginger doing Let's Face The Music And Dance:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtZrXzoaJvc&index=2&list=RDn3RSlUkw9U0

CatthiefKeith Tue 25-Aug-15 18:35:51

The bit at the end of Homeward Bound when shadow limps over the hill still makes me cry every time. blushblushblush

Thebluehouse Tue 25-Aug-15 18:38:22

City of angels with the angels on the beach

NoelHeadbands Tue 25-Aug-15 18:38:38

Monsters Inc, the very final scene- Sully looking through the restored door and hearing Boo say 'Kitty!'

The expression on his face is wonderful

whitershadeofpale Tue 25-Aug-15 18:53:31

When they jump through the drawing in Mary Poppins and when the car begins to fly in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

EnthusiasmDisturbed Tue 25-Aug-15 19:06:13

Some Like it Hot Marilyn Monroe's first scene her walking along the platform she just lights up the screen

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest when Chief escapes

I also love the flying scene in E.T. I cry every time

MyrtleMoaning Tue 25-Aug-15 19:10:25

Every moment of every HP film blush

RabbitsarenotHares Tue 25-Aug-15 19:14:48

The end of Eight Below when the last dog appears. I cry every time I see it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now