Films you've watched that are just confusing....

(95 Posts)
Tabby1963 Sat 14-Sep-13 19:23:20

Today on More4 was a film called MirrorMask. Ok, I didn't watch it right from the beginning but I reckoned that, even if I had, I still wouldn't have understood what was going on, it was so weird. Anyone else seen it?

There was another one that I saw on holiday this year, again missing the beginning bit, called Cloud Atlas. Didn't really have a clue what was going on but enjoyed the film anyway. Can anyone explain it to me please?

hollyisalovelyname Sun 25-Jan-15 08:56:12

Oops - In Bruges
Oceans 10 or 11 or whatever.

Jackieharris Sun 25-Jan-15 00:48:18

Hongkong yes to Triangle that's a weird and not very good film.

elledouble the grand Budapest hotel was a lovely film, one of the very few that has ever had me in tears.

The girl in the graveyard is visiting the grave of the writer you see at his desk. He wrote a book based on the conversation he had when he was younger (Jude law) with the old man who was the young bellboy/porter to Ralph fiennes. By the end they'd all died as had the hotel and that way of life. I loved the set design!

We've had the in Bruges DVDs for years but never watched it. Don't think I'll bother now.

Another vote for vanilla sky.

I want to see donnie Darko again, only saw it once years ago.

Shutter island, which we saw the same week as inception (loved that) I left not getting the real ending. I thought he was sane but dp said no he was just hallucinating the woman in the cave and everything.

Revenge of the Sith- why did Annie turn evil & murder the kids? Why did padme just die when she had an easy birth? I think it was just done to fit in with plotlines in some other film grin

hollyisalovelyname Sun 25-Jan-15 00:29:57

In Briges

Thehedgehogsong Sat 24-Jan-15 00:22:19

Donnie Darko for sure! Gibberish!

Lesser known Uma Thurman film: the life before her eyes. Had to google it after getting all the way to the end and going 'huh?' Even after the Google, I just felt robbed.

goodasitgets Fri 23-Jan-15 03:49:24

I have vanilla sky on DVD but haven't watched it. Just launched it into the bin cellophane intact after reading this thread grin life is too bloody short!

textfan Fri 23-Jan-15 02:54:02

I'm a massive tom cruise fan but vanilla sky pretentious twaddle. A lot mentioned are some of my favourite films. I like films that make you think.

CaptainJamesTKirk Thu 22-Jan-15 16:28:38

I expect this has been mentioned loads on this thread but for me it was Inception. I have no clue what the hell that was all about.

curiousgeorgie Thu 22-Jan-15 09:19:53

Mulholland Drive.

The Tree Of Life...

(And I have a degree in film, but can't even pretend to like these!)

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 22-Jan-15 09:11:46

sunshine

whatever you do don't watch the human centipedes 2

elQuintoConyo Wed 21-Jan-15 23:18:30

Not sure why folks are fonfused at In Bruges:

Colin Farrell, the hitman, accidentally shoots a child when he is shooting someone else. Older mentor-ish hitman, Brendan Gleason, gets him out of the country prety pronto on Ralph Feinnes' orders. Bendan is supposed to kill Colin. Tries, fails, feels bad cos they got quite chummy. Ralph Feinnes comes after Colin, Brendan does his best to save Colin, dies in the process.

The scamster-pretty girl is just eye-candy, the dwarf and prostitutes just there for the shits and giggles.

Everyone swears a lot. The end.

I get Mullholland Drive, but if anyone could point me in the right direction to wtf Inland Empire was all about, I'd be very grateful.

Inception sucked balls. Donny Darko was inspired sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!

In Totall Recall: Schwarzzzzzznnnnngggggrŕrrrr was Hauser. He consentd to gave some chip stuck in his head by his BFF Cohaagen. His new ID is called Doug, he has a fake set-up wife, Sharon Stone (pre-Basic Instinct).Whilst on Earth (as opposed to Mars), he gets bored with everyday life and gets a "holiday transplant" inserted in his brain 'go on holiday but don't leave your house', so you'll remember the holiday even though you hadn't had one. You can choose to be a character, rathr than yourself, in your implanted holiday;
Doug chooses to be an undercover agent/spy and go to Mars. When the 'doctors' attemot to put in his holiday implant, something kicks off and tgey realise he alreafy has a chip in (a real one, from BFF Cohaagen). Doug loses he plot, bears up wife, escapes back to Mars, discovers who he really is. When he finds Cohaagen, he realises that they were BFF in the past and everything was set up. Nice Doug/Evil Hauser. Cohaagen knows how to get oxygen into the atmosphere for free but prefers to charge people for it.

Doug stays as Doug, kills everyone (including wifey, bullet in the brain). Releases free oxygen to all. The end.

Not sure if Colin Farrell's modern version is the same -or as good! Total Recall is an absolute cheesefest grin

OhTinky Wed 21-Jan-15 23:15:10

Inception - I saw this at the IMAX and fell asleep. So confused.

Interstellar - so confused. Anything involving time as a fifth dimension isn't the film for me.

Grand Budapest - don't get the hype.

There's bound to be others, I am the queen of falling asleep in cinemas and missing vital plot elements!

blueeyedpea Wed 21-Jan-15 23:14:53

Face Off - I gave up in the end and got so frustrated with not knowing who was who

Vanilla Sky

Also The Human Centipede - I understand the film but I just don't understand how someone can be so sick to even think of doing that.

Not a film but Game of Thrones I just get confused about who is who and where they are from, even have the book with the map at the front and I just either get confused or keep referring to the map which just ruins it.

LittleBearPad Wed 21-Jan-15 22:52:34

Vanilla Sky

elQuintoConyo Wed 21-Jan-15 22:52:13

I only came on to say Primer but Dwerf just beat me to it!

Koalafications Wed 21-Jan-15 22:48:39

Home alone 2.

I don't get it... They did it again confused

Dwerf Wed 21-Jan-15 22:44:04

Primer. All I got was time-travel, bad stuff, something to do with storage lockers. Incomprehensible.

Quangle Wed 21-Jan-15 22:43:13

My rule is, if it's got Gene Hackman in it, I won't understand it.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 21-Jan-15 22:42:17

Blair witch.
switchblade romance.
shrooms

Elledouble Wed 21-Jan-15 22:35:03

I didn't really 'get' The Grand Budapest Hotel blush I enjoyed it, but I don't know what it was trying to say.

Surprised at people saying In Bruges - that's one of my favourite films. It's hilarious.

Redglitter Wed 21-Jan-15 22:31:39

Lost in Translation - just seemed to have no story

Another vote for Vanilla Sky here. I was stupid enough to try watching Abre los ojos too, the Spanish film it was based on, and couldn't make head nor tail of that either.

singleandfabulous Tue 16-Dec-14 13:49:43

The Counselor. Just didn't get the interaction between the characters at all. Didn't understand why a successful, Bentley driving lawyer would be strapped for cash and didn't understand why on earth he would get himself mixed up with the Mexican drug cartels and see a positive outcome. Didn't get why Brad Pitt seemed all worldly up to the point where he was taken in by the blonde in such an obvious fashion. Had to rewind and re-play most of Brad Pitt's scenes too as he was giving his usual 'read from the script' dead-pan delivery which was barely decipherable.

hollyisalovelyname Tue 18-Nov-14 18:36:58

Oceans whatever number.
I must have missed the start or something.
Not a clue what it was about.
Reservoir dogs ( is that with Uma Thurman and John Travolta).
Another mystery to me smile
And as I said previously, In Bruges.

BestIsWest Sun 16-Nov-14 21:31:25

Gorky Park. DH and I watched the whole thing mystified. Took us years to fathom out what it was about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now