Why is no one here?

(18 Posts)
EclecticShock Thu 05-Jul-12 21:30:15

Not a useful topic? I thought it would be very educational. I would post but don't really have much in depth background in feminist theory.

kickassangel Fri 06-Jul-12 01:12:17

I'm here! But on a different timezone.

OK - I'd like to discuss the ideas I'm reading about in 'The Frailty Myth', which I was enjoying very much, until I discovered that 20 pages were missing.

So much from '2nd hand, good condition' from Amazon.

itsthequietones Fri 06-Jul-12 06:47:19

I didn't even realise this was here, or that fwr had changed to 'chat'.

I'm here from Monday. Until then, I'm doing my best to stay off MN as I have felt a bit wrung out yet strangely addicted by recent events and decided a short break would be a good idea. <fail>

Probably quite a few people are taking a bit of a break.

I hope this section takes off. I'm reading Beauty & Misogyny and will probably have a question or two.

BasilBabyEater Fri 06-Jul-12 11:13:40

Because Mumsnet doesn't feel like a safe place for lots of posters atm.

Also because you have to go to the list of topics to find out what the new MN feminist topics are and people can't be arsed to do that, only click on it if it's up in active conversations? That's how I discovered this place was here.

itsthequietones Fri 06-Jul-12 13:37:46

I miss the regular posters. They were so straightforward, honest and knowledgeable (sp), I learned a lot. Glad to see some of you have come back.

MiniTheMinx Fri 06-Jul-12 22:25:12

So true Basil but it was good of mn to give us more topics smile I do hope once the dust has settled everyone who wants to post will do so again.

kickassangel Sat 07-Jul-12 00:40:59

So, having been 'given' this space, what do we want to do with it?

I've loved some of the past discussions, e.g. the one on cognitive dissonance, separatism, and and some others.

There are some questions about things I'd love to talk about, but not sure if they count as 'chat' or 'theory' (or just real life). e.g. why is the thread about lovely voices almost ALL male voices - I think I'm the only person who suggested a female. Linked to that - why do I notice that the teenage boys at our local pool just seem not to hear the female lifesavers giving them instructions, but always hear the male lifesavers?

Another question doing the rounds in my brain - if separatism is the only way for women to have autonomy and feel safe, then how do we raise children? I'm assuming that there would be sufficient co-mingling with men for children to still happen, but how should they then be raised. In fact, if family IS all about patriarchal control, how should society be organised instead?

See, to me, both those topics are open to general chat, e.g. anecdotes/thoughts, and also some 'real' theory about them. So where do I start these threads.

And I won't be posting in radfem, btw, too scared.

SweetTheSting Sat 07-Jul-12 01:10:38

20 pages missing? That's awful!

<too late at night to post anything smarter>

kickassangel Sat 07-Jul-12 05:03:18

I know, so now I have to try and pick up half way through the next bit of the argument.

BasilBabyEater Sat 07-Jul-12 21:00:03

Kickass I think that was 1 of the objections to this section. Theory sounds high falutin and intimidating to lots of posters, but " feminist chat" will probably be a space where a whole load of people can claim that every choice that is made by a woman, is by definition a feminist choice without having that POV too strenuously challenged because challenging is unwelcoming

EclecticShock Sat 07-Jul-12 21:14:09

Challenging is not unwelcome, the point is to challenge politically rather than personally. I think chat is quite personal based on people's experiences. Theory is not personal but based on political analysis. Not everyone wants to discuss both at the same time.

EatsBrainsAndLeaves Sun 08-Jul-12 19:28:22

I have been away for a week. But I am very unhappy at the way FWR has been divided up.

EclecticShock Sun 08-Jul-12 20:13:29

I'm sorry to hear that Eats. It's a shame that some posters are unhappy with it. Can't disparage the fact that many many more people are posting.

EatsBrainsAndLeaves Mon 09-Jul-12 11:11:34

Yes there are lots of new names - but they may be NCs? Often happens after contentious threads say in AIBU, lots of NCs. But in terms of actual postings, it seems very very quiet. Feminist theory, Radical Feminism are both pretty dead. And even FWRChat isn't that busy.

nina17 Tue 12-Feb-13 15:04:49

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

KoalaCakes Tue 19-Feb-13 05:13:59

Hi Nina

I think you should be on this page:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/media_nonmember_requests

Good luck with your research. To my mind, women who don't identify as feminists don't know what feminism is! Probably stuck at the Sheila Jeffreys camp!

Galdos Sat 22-Jun-13 00:32:01

I was brought up by a determined mother, who had three girls before me. There was never any question in my upbringing that men and women were equal, in every respect. Feminism is an assertion of those equal rights, and which (as a bloke) I find it rather depressing have to be asserted. I find it even more depressing, and embarrassing, that men still don't 'get it'. But it is also depressing - and interesting - to see many women apparently subscribe to the male world view. Kickassangel raises some of the consequential issues arising. My own view (and apart from loooong experience, I have mixed twins who are sooooo different) is that there is no reconciling the differences, but the mistake is to treat some features - between the genders - as 'good' or 'bad', when the focus should be on persons as persons, irrespective of gender, ethnicity etc; people are different, and the fact that they are different because they are a woman (or a man) is no different from having brown hair or blond hair. I would recommend Catholic Social Justice (not the nasty old Catholic church) for an articulation of the principle. People are people, and all are equal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now