Picking battles - help!

(9 Posts)
Frikonastick Fri 20-Nov-15 06:12:48

I really try to pick my battles, but a friend has posted something on Facebook and I really want to respond, I'm just struggling to address this, it's so cleverly written, so disguised as advice that is respectful and caring of women and IT ISNT.

Here it is in its glory, any help in constructing a response to this would be much appreciated

"Two young ladies arrived to a meeting wearing clothes that were quite revealing their body parts. Here is what the Chairman told them: He took a good look at them and made them sit. Then he said something that, they might never forget for the rest of their lives.

He looked at them straight in the eyes and said; "ladies, everything that God has valuable in this world is well covered and hard to see, find or get.

1. Where do you find DIAMONDS? Deep down in the ground, covered and protected.

2. Where do you find PEARLS? Deep down at the bottom of the ocean, covered up and protected in a beautiful shell.

3. Where do you find GOLD? Way down in the mine, covered over with layers of rock and to get them, you have to work hard & dig deep down to get them.

He looked at them with serious eyes and said;

"Your body is sacred & unique" You are far more precious than gold, diamonds and pearls, and you should be covered too. So he added that, "If you keep your treasured mineral just like gold, diamond and pearls, deeply covered up, a reputable mining organization with the requisite machinery will fly down and conduct years of extensive exploration."

Then he said, "First, they will contact your government (family), sign professional contracts (wedding) and mine you professionally( legal marriage). But if you leave your precious minerals uncovered on the surface of the earth, you always attract a lot of illegal miners to come and mine you illegally. Everybody will just pick up their crude instruments and just have a dig on you just freely like that. So, keep your bodies deeply covered so that it invite professional miners to chase you."

I mean, just. Wow.

Frikonastick Fri 20-Nov-15 06:34:53

Ah, not to worry I googled and found a great feminist response to this :-)

MothershipG Fri 20-Nov-15 06:45:19

That is absolutely vile, talk about objectifying and treating women as property, ugh.

Can you post the response you found, please.

Frikonastick Fri 20-Nov-15 06:55:35

Yes! Of course, sorry, I'm clearly. It firing on all cylinders!

Here it is

wordofawoman.com/2015/07/28/cover-your-precious-minerals-or-some-such-nonsense/

wordofawoman Fri 20-Nov-15 18:44:04

Glad it was helpful and thanks for the share!

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Fri 20-Nov-15 18:55:21

"I'm an atheist, so piss off with your patronising waffle" might be a good response (sorry I had a slightly bigger glass of wine than I planned) grin

His whole argument is stupid. Is this Christain also telling women to hide their engagement ring as "diamonds and gold are meant to be hidden"

Frikonastick Sat 21-Nov-15 01:56:57

Oh my goodness, word of a woman, you're on mumsnet!

Of course you are grin

Thanks for writing that.

My mates not talking to me, but she's smart and kind and will come round once the sting of awesome rebuttal wears off!

VestalVirgin Sat 12-Dec-15 14:23:18

His whole argument is stupid. Is this Christain also telling women to hide their engagement ring as "diamonds and gold are meant to be hidden"

As Jesus preached poverty, I am rather sure that it is not Christian to have an engagement ring at all. grin

I am also pretty sure, that if I appeared in front of him in all my no make up, baggy boys' jumper and old, torn and mended jeans glory, with unkempt hair, preachy Chairman would not welcome me with open arms because I hide my beauty natural resources so well. grin

Tartypants Tue 26-Apr-16 00:56:49

How about "You might have something there because there is a totally worthless pile of shite and I can see it in plain view right in front of me. Now that kind sir is well worth covering up, please do so".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now