Gender neutral bicycles!

(7 Posts)

Thank you all, that's really helpful. Just been having a browse and seen some ridgeback and Isla bike options - clearly I was going far too downmarket before!

V disappointed in the Dawes ones overall - I always thought of them as really great solid proper bikes and the ones I just saw were pink and tasselled... Yuck!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 30-Sep-12 16:12:38

This any good? I think you might need to look like for a brand like Specialized somewhere like Evan's Cycles

EionMcLove Sun 30-Sep-12 16:05:24

Isla bikes. They are ££££ though but have a good resale value and are very good bikes

heymammy Sun 30-Sep-12 16:04:01

V v dear but have you looked at islabikes? Red, blue or purple for all!

www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/cnoc16.html

Argh, they've replaced the purple bikes with pink, bit of a shame.

5madthings Sun 30-Sep-12 16:01:52

Go to a proper bike shop!not halfords.

Independent bike shop and look at dawes or marin or kona or islabike depending on your budget.

You can get a good dawes bike fir £130 ish we have a silver/black one.

Also the dawes blowfish.

Trek do childrens bikes.

You need to buy a decent bike and not a 'charachter' one which will be heavy, have crap brakes etc.

Clary Sun 30-Sep-12 16:00:23

Oh I feel your pain. My family goes BGB and we really struggled to find DS1 a bike we could reasonably hand on to his sister.

Ditto for her to her brother. I recall finding a boys' bike just in our local bike shop that was blue and silver, that she liked and was fine for DS2.

Have you tried an independent shop? They are usually better than HAlfords/Toys R Us for bikes IMO.

We want to buy our DS his first bike for his imminent 4th birthday. Everything I have seen so far is either ugly macho nonsense with dirgy colours and cartoons aimed at boys e.g. spiderman/Ben 10/aliens, or princessy nonsense with hearts and flowers...

In my mind, I was hoping to find a simply but quality bike, with minimal adornment, just a nice bright red or blue perhaps, like I remember the bikes of my youth (late 70s!). Does anyone know where I might be able to find one?

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now