Inspirational songs for my daughter

(19 Posts)
SophRunning Mon 27-Aug-12 20:17:16

My 10 year-old daughter wants to be a singer. She has a great voice, and talent. I want to feed her imagination and steer her away from being another wannabe Britney/Christina warbler. So I'm compiling a top ten albums of brilliant and inspirational women singers for her. Who would you have on the list?

TheMysteryCat Mon 27-Aug-12 20:27:11

Any nina simone, pj Harvey, goldfrapp maybe. What styles does she like?

TheMysteryCat Mon 27-Aug-12 20:28:00

Oh and definitely joni Mitchell

waitingtobeamummy Mon 27-Aug-12 20:41:18

There's an Annie lennox song I love but can't remember the name of it. Strong? Money for it went to a charity "sisters be strong,let your voice be heard. What won't kill you, will make you strong....."

MrsClown1 Mon 27-Aug-12 20:41:20

It depends on what kind of music she is into. I find Kelly Clarkson very good for empowering and inspirational songs. There is an amazing Country and Western singer called Reba Mcentyre. She states openly that she feels that she should empower women and bring positive messages. She brought out a song called Is there life out there? - very inspiring. Others on the list would be Annie Lennox, Alanis Morrisette.

SophRunning Mon 27-Aug-12 21:24:55

Thank you all. She listens to everything, is attracted by a good melody and lyrics that speak to her (aren't we all!) -- I'm trying to get to her to listen to a range of stuff rather than default to the more interesting end of the current pop spectrum ...

Hassled Mon 27-Aug-12 21:26:33

Has to be Ella Fitzgerald. Or Patsy Cline?

crackcrackcrak Mon 27-Aug-12 21:30:21

Dixie chicks!! ESP that song thru got in trouble for upsetting bush with grin

Joan armatrading, kirsty mcoll, Amy macdonald, Cerys Matthews, even Amy wine house grin I'm v fussy about female singers!

SophRunning Tue 28-Aug-12 14:37:21

Brilliant! Some lovely stuff there! Thanks again.

WomanlyWoman Thu 20-Sep-12 12:54:31

And Kate Bush, Bjork, Sinead O' Connor smile

CatKitson Thu 20-Sep-12 13:01:07

Mamas and Papas, Joan Baez, Jefferson Airplane era Grace Slick.

cocolepew Thu 20-Sep-12 13:06:13

Blondie, Cyndi Lauper, Patti Smith, Mavis Staples/Staple Singers, Carole King.

rosabud Sat 22-Sep-12 20:57:54

Michelle Shocked and Suzanne Vega

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 22-Sep-12 23:24:32

tori amos, heather nova, sarah mclachlan

If you do an advanced search in FWR, there were a couple of 'Music by women' threads that were full of good ideas, I will try and link

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 22-Sep-12 23:26:03
TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 22-Sep-12 23:30:10
DanceMacabre Sat 22-Sep-12 23:30:39

Janis Joplin ... what is not to love?

Also i love this clip ... three cool women just rockin it out....

Desree Kissing YOu

another vote for Alanis.

Paloma Faiths album is wonderful.

CatKitson Sun 23-Sep-12 08:15:38

I asked dd, and she said she loves First Aid Kit at the moment. I had a listen and they are indeed rather fab and seem like really lovely nice young hippies girls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now