Magazines/ comics for younger girls

(9 Posts)
Sleeperandthespindle Tue 16-Aug-16 08:12:59

I was almost pleased with the reaction of my 7 year old daughter yesterday when she saw the magazine offerings at the supermarket. She was utterly despondent at the selection, saying 'there's nothing about the kind of things I like'. She's not into makeup, pink or mermaids (although is very partial to a fairy or glitter) and gets a wildlife magazine monthly with her RSPB membership. She likes arts and craft but wasn't impressed by the quality of the 'gifts' on the magazines she saw.

Any suggestions for good magazines with varied content? Aquila looks a bit old. Perhaps there's a gap at this age.

I know magazines aren't essential reading and are generally over priced and rubbish, but little brother was very happy with his CBeebies comic and was occupied for ages! She just felt a bit left out I think.

originalmavis Tue 16-Aug-16 08:15:35

Kids national geographic? There are loads of US magazines but they are expensive to get a hold of. Aquila should be ok as there's lots of content so I'm sure she can find bits she enjoys. First news?

Chapsy Tue 16-Aug-16 08:17:24

National Geographic kids is a super magazine and my 9 yr old LOVES it. Definitely worth a try.

Sleeperandthespindle Tue 16-Aug-16 08:21:27

Thanks, I'll have a look at those.

BeMorePanda Tue 16-Aug-16 08:21:57

My 8yo loves Wizz Bang Pop - science mag on subscription.

originalmavis Tue 16-Aug-16 08:22:15

Or is she into computer games and graphics? I think there was one called Pocket that was all about Pokemon etc. We've been getting How it Works for years and there are some bits in there that younger children can enjoy.

RevealTheHiddenBeach Tue 16-Aug-16 08:24:13

Have you tried the phoenix comic? It's a weekly story comic, no plastic tat (which could be seen as a downfall or a plus!) And it's intentionally gender neutral.

Sleeperandthespindle Tue 16-Aug-16 08:34:38

The Phoenix Comic looks amazing. Expensive though as it's weekly! I don't know whether to try a 13 week subscription of that or monthly NG magazine for the same price. She does need encouragement to read as she's dyslexic, so weekly might be good. Drawing is her favourite thing so comics might be helpful for her (writing is SO difficult).

Thanks.

Craftylittlething Fri 28-Oct-16 23:42:15

I'd also recommend national geographic, my daughter (11) has had a subscription for a good few years. I really enjoy the interesting facts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now