can anyone reccommend a book on feminism for a 14 year old pleas.

(12 Posts)
fozmeadows Mon 03-Dec-12 20:23:31

It's not so much a book on feminism as a book informed by feminism, but Kaz Cook's Real Gorgeous is a great book for teenage girls - it's a funny, informative book about bodies and body image. I definitely found it useful when I was younger!

BOFingTheDude Wed 28-Nov-12 15:57:02

Do you need a copy of HTBAW? Does anyone? PM me- I have a brand new one that The Times sent me to promote something, but I've already read it. It's a shame for a book to go to waste.

cremepatisserie Wed 28-Nov-12 15:55:02

I would suggest biographies of Emily Pankhurst, Emily Bronte or any other powerful woman. When I was 12/12, my mum taught me about Germaine Greer and although this was rather a blunt introduction to feminism, it worked really well. If your daughter is pretty grown up, I'd suggest books by Naomi Wolf, especially 'The Beauty Myth', it's pretty readable for an able teenager. Other than that, why not get her re writing some fairy tales so that the damsel in distress saves herself?
Poetry by Carol Ann Duffy is also pretty good, as is Sylvia Plath for a budding feminist but be careful with the latter, it could potentially have a profound effect (and one I'm still coping with 15 years later), but other girls it's very empowering!

cocolepew Wed 22-Aug-12 00:32:10

Thank you smile

Jacky Fleming's Falling In Love / Be A Bloody Train Driver

TheDoctrineOfEnnis Tue 21-Aug-12 07:46:53

I agree with CM. Helena Kennedy's Eve Was Framed is good on women and the legal system - an example in action if you like.

TerrariaMum Fri 17-Aug-12 17:58:40

You don't need to remember or know anything to enjoy that book. I grew up in the US and didn't find any references jarring. But I'm a huge fan of hers so my judgment may be clouded.

cocolepew Thu 16-Aug-12 18:26:54

Ive read that but I cant remember whee Ive put it . TBH I thought it would only be interesting if you were older and could remember things she wrote about.

There is a book on Amazon called Feminism for Teenagers grin.

Thanks smile

ColourMeWithChaos Thu 16-Aug-12 17:23:32

I was coming to post that too Terraria!

TerrariaMum Thu 16-Aug-12 17:21:56

More an autobiography but Caitlin Moran's On How to Be a Woman is brilliant.

cocolepew Wed 15-Aug-12 14:55:49

e blush

cocolepew Wed 15-Aug-12 14:55:24

Easily digested and engaging please.

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now