Poetry by Women

(13 Posts)
SweetTheSting Sun 01-Apr-12 11:51:43

Inspired by Nyac's thread on the death of Adrienne Rich, I searched for other threads in the FWR section on female poets but couldn't find a full thread about it. SO I thought I'd start one! Maybe this could be a bit like the music chat threads where we add stuff we like when we come across it.

(Disclaimer: I don't read much poetry so I am hoping to get some new ideas here too smile.)

I'll start with one that has already been noted on the Adrienne Rich thread - Aunt Jennifer's Tigers. I don't think we can put the text into posts because of copyright but I will email MNHQ to check:

Aunt Jennifers Tigers

And here's a lighter one from Sophie Hannah:

Occupational Hazard

SweetTheSting Thu 12-Apr-12 13:10:01

HelenMN tells me that unless we are sure the poem is out of copyright, we can only quote a small part of each poem e.g. 2 lines out of 30 and should be sure we credit properly.

I love this one by Mary Elizabeth Frye, although it is sad. I will quote the opening two lines:

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.

Do not stand at my grave and weep

SweetTheSting Tue 17-Apr-12 10:14:55

Here is one I saw on the Tube, it's by Lotte Kramer. Lotte Kramer, born 1923, was a child refugee when she arrived in Britain from Germany in a ‘Kindertransport’ in 1939.

Boy With Orange (out of Kosovo)

Synchronicity Sat 21-Apr-12 21:16:49

Hello. I don't post much in FWR (mainly lurk) but wanted to share the following by Maya Angelou:

Phenomenal Woman

Synchronicity Sat 21-Apr-12 21:18:46

The Aunt Jennifers Tigers poem just made me cry.

buggyRunner Sat 21-Apr-12 21:18:56

Trudy Howson is a feminist poet and is brilliant (also my relative!!)

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 21-Apr-12 22:08:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SweetTheSting Sun 22-Apr-12 23:27:29

Yay, more poems!

Off to bed now but will read the links tomorrow.

margerykemp Sun 06-May-12 16:42:41

has anyone got any of Anne Sexton's poems? I read her biography- what a life! But I've never read any of her poetry. It's ashame she seems very forgotton.

IamtheSnorkMaiden Tue 31-Jul-12 16:31:54

Carol Ann Duffy - The World's Wife, Feminine Gospels etc...

Here's one from The World's Wife, entitled 'Mrs Darwin' www.freewebs.com/carolannduffypoems/Mrs%20Darwin.htm

TheDoctrineOfEnnis Tue 21-Aug-12 07:44:30

Snappy and funny, that one Snork!

TheDoctrineOfEnnis Wed 29-Aug-12 23:45:09

This one made me smile - it's how thankful I feel about meetings that fall through too!

The Cancellation

TheDoctrineOfEnnis Wed 29-Aug-12 23:51:07

I looked up Anne Sexton margery, she seems very vivid and also bleak

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/45-mercy-street/

"Next I pull the dream off
And slam into the cement wall
Of the clumsy calendar
I live in"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now