March is Women's History Month!

(24 Posts)
BertieBotts Fri 09-Mar-12 01:11:30

I've just seen this:

Women of the Revolution: Forty Years of Feminism

Sakura has an excellent point though, as usual.

BertieBotts Fri 09-Mar-12 01:05:57

I've just seen this:

Women of the Revolution: Forty Years of Feminism

Sakura has an excellent point though, as usual.

judithann Sat 18-Feb-12 18:43:28

Spent 20 years making science documentaries for British TV, and the sad truth is, there weren't that many female scientists to interview. Always aware that fewer female faces, translates to fewer role models for kids. how do we inspire young girls, these days, to take an interest in things outside of celebrity and fashion? I've had a go, by putting a girl-hero at the heart of my new mystery.
Sorry for the blatant plug, but I would love to know if you think it works - and if your girls think it works: www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=low+light+judith+bunting&x=0&y=0

sakura Mon 13-Feb-12 07:09:50

Ah, but who designated March as women's history month?

Men? As if men owned time????

Because 11 months out of the year it's men's history month!!!!????

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 07-Feb-12 15:37:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SweetTheSting Sun 05-Feb-12 22:53:53

Is fiction-set-in-history OK? I enjoyed the historical detail in 'Alias Grace' by Margaret Atwood.

Claire Tomalin's biographies? Women she has covered: Mary Wollstonecraft, Jane Austen, Kathryn Mansfield - the last is the only one I've made a start on blush

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 03-Feb-12 21:30:11

Takver Fri 03-Feb-12 20:07:28

Do autobiogs by historical women count? If so what about Living my Life by Emma Goldman - what it was like living as an immigrant woman in the US at the turn of the 20thC, and also her experiences of being in Russia during the revolution.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 02-Feb-12 11:45:30

LeBOF Wed 01-Feb-12 15:48:46

The three books that Jennifer Worth wrote about nursing in the East End in the 1950s are very interesting and easy to read: Call The Midwife, Shadows Of The Workhouse and Farewell To The East End. They're all on Kindle too.

JerichoStarQuilt Wed 01-Feb-12 15:21:05

Ah, I haven't seen the TV programme - I'm out of date. I shall check.

My list is very incomplete and I hope I'll update it soon. These spring to mind:

Carol Meale, 'Woman and Literature in Britain 1150-1500'. A collection of essays by several women.

Stella Tillyard, Aristocrats (no, not just for the TV series!)

Mary Hughes, 'A London Girl of the 1870s' and the two subsequent books.

Jane Robinson, 'Bluestockings'

Margaret Forster, 'Good Wives' (don't be put off by the title!) and 'Hidden Lives'

Not a book, but this article about women and the history of the Holocaust is good: www.nostatusquo.com/ACLU/dworkin/TheUnremembered.html

JoantheFennel Wed 01-Feb-12 14:43:17

ohhh, which ones are good ones?

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 01-Feb-12 14:40:29

JoantheFennel Wed 01-Feb-12 14:37:37

I meant the tv programme, where women and men are protrayed fairly equally.

I've been in to my daughters class to talk about the suffragettes and questioned the teachers when they were doing 10 historical figures and 2 were women and only one was non-causcasian.
I questioned the head teacher when all the new names of the houses at school were old, white, male scientists.
I feel the same about black history month. These histories are so important that they should be talked about all year round. I think everytime there is any history program or event it should be pointed out to the producers if their protrayal isn't equal. making a special month makes it ok in some people's eyes to ignore it the rest of the year.

I'd like to see a blog or twitter feed telling us more about a famous woman in history each day, but I havent got time to do it on my own at the moment.

JerichoStarQuilt Wed 01-Feb-12 13:53:02

Horrible Histories isn't terribly feminist though, surely? Dim memories of teh books here but I don't recall them being very aware.

I don't see how we can talk about women's history and teach it if we don't learn it first, so it's good to have a place to concentrate on that IMO.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 01-Feb-12 13:49:25

JerichoStarQuilt Wed 01-Feb-12 13:47:53

It is a shame that there is a need to promote women's history, but there is that need. It doesn't get taught and a lot of misogynistic propaganda gets taught in place of it. We need to teach it and learn it.

JoantheFennel Wed 01-Feb-12 13:44:32

By talking about women in history all year round, and questioning when a male biased account is published or shown on TV, especially in front of my children. Horrible histories is making a good start but could be better.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 01-Feb-12 13:38:50

JoantheFennel Wed 01-Feb-12 13:37:39

Surely having a specific month just marginalises it further.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 01-Feb-12 13:34:04

JoantheFennel Wed 01-Feb-12 13:32:22

Anyone else think that it would be better if woman's history was talked about every month?

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 01-Feb-12 13:30:57

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 01-Feb-12 13:18:07

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now