Best Books Written by Women You've Read this Year!

(30 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Mon 26-Dec-11 19:29:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tancub Sat 04-Aug-12 21:35:29

Just reading: The Women's Room by Marilyn French - I want to talk about it, it has filled by head!

Just read, and enjoyed:

The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood

Room by Emma Donahue

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

phdlife Tue 31-Jul-12 22:52:45

I have become a big fan of Anita Heiss this year. She writes glossy Koori chicklit with a shedload of race politics thrown in: glamorous, smart, ballsy, and fun!

I was also bowled over by Catherine Jinks's The Gentleman's Garden, though most of her other stuff hasn't appealed as it's too vaguely dan brownish (and I say this purely based on cover blurbs)

IamtheSnorkMaiden Tue 31-Jul-12 22:45:36

The Lacuna - Barbara Kingsolver
The Help - Kathryn Stockett
The Vagrants - Yiyun Li
I Heard The Owl Call My Name - Margaret Craven

Currently reading Wide Sargasso Sea.

puffylovett Thu 21-Jun-12 10:27:00

I've just finished The House at Riverton by Kate Morton - amazingly great book, I loved it. It was that good I didn't skip to the end or abandon it mid through as I usually do. Set in the early 20th century and overtones of women moving from the suppressive Victorian era to the freer twenties and gaining independence. But with a lot of sacrifice along the way. And it's a mystery / love story. Beautifully written.

24HourPARDyPerson Wed 20-Jun-12 23:38:53

Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson - just amazing, dreamlike, almost eerie fluid, about.... the different ways women drop out, I suppose.

Not overtly feminist, but definitely female centred. Was going to suggest it for the book club (even though i'm not a bc reg under any of my names, but I thought someone else may think it worth considering)
then I thought, well it's not overtly feminist, is it? Then i thought, well yes it is, if you consider it a feminist thing to write a Slim Book about the Big Things, meaning of life, loss etc purely from a female perspective with hardly any men even as bit parts.

Rambling now

Takver Thu 19-Jan-12 22:26:14

Oh, I used to love Marcia Muller. Haven't thought of them for years smile

I still have loads of the Women's Press books, just found a whole list of the Sci-fi titles here - must track down those I haven't read.

Great!

MrsMagnolia Wed 11-Jan-12 20:24:53

Laura Lippman is another to look out for, set in Baltimore.

Ooh thanks both. I love finding new authors.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 11-Jan-12 19:28:31

MrsMagnolia Wed 11-Jan-12 19:24:30

If you like Sue Grafton do try Marcia Muller, her Sharon McCone series is superb. The earlier ones were originally published in the UK by the sadly long gone Women's Press sad.

Not exactly the height of literature but I got a whole bundle of books from ebay for the Kindle and although they were mainly "men's" literature (think Clive Cussler, Stephen King, Lee Child etc) there were a load of Sue GRafton ones.

So I have been reading these - mainly in the middle of the night bfing! They have a really strong female lead Kinsey Millhone which is great. And they are easy reading for 4am grin.

BasilRathbone Sat 07-Jan-12 10:56:25

Oh my DS watched that. (The JK Rowling thing)

Must see if it's on replay.

yellowraincoat Sat 07-Jan-12 00:47:03

Alice Munro, ANYTHING by Alice Munro, been reading all her stuff again lately. Just love her style.

BasilRathbone Thu 05-Jan-12 23:31:36

Jean Rhys - Wide Sargasso Sea
Cordelia Fine - Delusions of Gender
Backlash - Susan Faludi

Can't remember any others...

MMMarmite Thu 05-Jan-12 22:47:48

The Earthsea Quartet by Ursula Le Guin - dragons and wizards with a feminist perspective, especially in the fourth book smile

Harry Potter, can't go a year without reading at least one!

I think my taste is a bit less refined than some of you grin

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 04-Jan-12 20:13:05

Selky Wed 04-Jan-12 19:54:47

The Retribution - Val McDermid

Prolesworth Wed 04-Jan-12 19:51:31

In fiction, Room by Emma Donoghue was brilliant and v pro-woman, and A Visit From The Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan was pretty amazing as well.

In feminist nonfiction, Loving to Survive by Dee Graham. OMG that book is EPIC.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 04-Jan-12 17:36:06

The Help Kathryn Stockett
Also second Kris Radish - Elegant gathering... Just read that and it was great!
Crimson China - Betsy Tobin. Was an MN book club book a few months ago.

Hogmanayhoneyblossom Fri 30-Dec-11 14:25:36

I've not read much but liked Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir.

chibi Tue 27-Dec-11 16:31:43

i second the lacuna
also The Year of The Flood (margaret atwood)

i am in the middle of reading the latest sara paretsky (v i warshawski novels) and it is v good indeed

BarfTheHeraldAngelsHeave Tue 27-Dec-11 16:27:49

SGM, if you liked Lisa See then you will probably enjoy Anchee Min. I've read a few of her books now and they are those rarest of things - good books that concentrate on a female lead and deal with history from a female perspective.

I'm reading Pearl of China at the moment which looks at the early life of Peal S. Buck and concentrates on a frienship with a Chinese girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now