Best Books Written by Women You've Read this Year!

(30 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Mon 26-Dec-11 19:29:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

24HourPARDyPerson Wed 20-Jun-12 23:38:53

Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson - just amazing, dreamlike, almost eerie fluid, about.... the different ways women drop out, I suppose.

Not overtly feminist, but definitely female centred. Was going to suggest it for the book club (even though i'm not a bc reg under any of my names, but I thought someone else may think it worth considering)
then I thought, well it's not overtly feminist, is it? Then i thought, well yes it is, if you consider it a feminist thing to write a Slim Book about the Big Things, meaning of life, loss etc purely from a female perspective with hardly any men even as bit parts.

Rambling now

puffylovett Thu 21-Jun-12 10:27:00

I've just finished The House at Riverton by Kate Morton - amazingly great book, I loved it. It was that good I didn't skip to the end or abandon it mid through as I usually do. Set in the early 20th century and overtones of women moving from the suppressive Victorian era to the freer twenties and gaining independence. But with a lot of sacrifice along the way. And it's a mystery / love story. Beautifully written.

IamtheSnorkMaiden Tue 31-Jul-12 22:45:36

The Lacuna - Barbara Kingsolver
The Help - Kathryn Stockett
The Vagrants - Yiyun Li
I Heard The Owl Call My Name - Margaret Craven

Currently reading Wide Sargasso Sea.

phdlife Tue 31-Jul-12 22:52:45

I have become a big fan of Anita Heiss this year. She writes glossy Koori chicklit with a shedload of race politics thrown in: glamorous, smart, ballsy, and fun!

I was also bowled over by Catherine Jinks's The Gentleman's Garden, though most of her other stuff hasn't appealed as it's too vaguely dan brownish (and I say this purely based on cover blurbs)

Tancub Sat 04-Aug-12 21:35:29

Just reading: The Women's Room by Marilyn French - I want to talk about it, it has filled by head!

Just read, and enjoyed:

The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood

Room by Emma Donahue

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now