December 2011 Non-Fiction Club: Marilyn French's Woman's Room

(10 Posts)
stuffedauberginexmasdinner Wed 28-Dec-11 21:27:34

I read it a few months ago. Didn't finish it because I didn't like the university bit as much as the early marriage/kids bit.

Would recommend it though- I found it to be like a fictionalised version of the feminine mystique. I've also heard that it was semi-autobiographical.

I have a few of marilyn french's non-fiction books but haven't got round to reading them yet.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 28-Dec-11 21:17:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SweetTheSting Wed 28-Dec-11 21:08:40

Posting from my phone without the book here! I am finding it sad that the various women have all kinds of marriages but they all seem to be miserable in different ways. I knOw this is partly a reflection of the time it was describIng but it was tough to read about such inequality. Though I'm sure a lot of women are still living with that mismatch.

Things seem to be looking up for Mira in the bit I've reached now. smile

DS2 is not settling well so I may not be able to post a lot.

SweetTheSting Wed 28-Dec-11 21:05:15

Posting from my phone without the book here! I am finding it sad that the various women have all kinds of marriages but they all seem to be miserable in different ways. I knOw this is partly a reflection of the time it was describ

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 28-Dec-11 10:01:53

SweetTheSting Wed 28-Dec-11 09:39:47

I am really enjoying The Women's Room but only about halfway through! If the internet works from my parents tonight (!) I'll try and post otherwise will do so in a few days after the holidays!

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 26-Dec-11 19:42:54

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 26-Dec-11 19:41:52

SweetTheSting Tue 13-Dec-11 10:51:35

Hello!

I had a bit of trouble starting this one, as I didn't really get the 'structure' at first (one of the disadvantages of Kindle, you can't flick through to see how a book is put together) but I am finding it compelling now (and bookmarking a lot!)

I haven't started 'Cold Comfort Farm' though blush but am out tomorrow night anyway (is it still on tomorrow?)

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 07-Dec-11 12:28:55

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now