Mary Daly Reading Group

(39 Posts)
Prolesworth Thu 13-Oct-11 13:43:54

As discussed over here - some of us are up for having an ongoing reading group to work through those texts that don't lend themselves to the usual monthly book club format.

So it's been suggested that we kick off with Mary Daly's Beyond God The Father: toward a philosophy of women's liberation (bonus: it's available for cheap on Amazon marketplace)

We could keep this unstructured and just post here as and when, or have some sort of schedule eg one chapter per fortnight/month. I favour a bit of structure myself.

Any thoughts as to how this could work best for you?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Prolesworth Sat 07-Jan-12 01:09:28

How brilliant - you must've been meant to get that message somehow smile What a find!

Prolesworth Sat 07-Jan-12 01:06:30

what a brilliant inscription - wow, did you know it was signed when you bought it?

Prolesworth Sat 07-Jan-12 00:24:25

Signed! How cool is that? Touched by Mary's hands!

I'm off to add Outercourse to my wish list

Prolesworth Fri 06-Jan-12 09:45:48

Oh that's funny, because I enjoyed the intro so much and then I was a little disappointed when I started the first chapter and it's written so differently, a more conventional style of writing I suppose. I like the poetic/incantational style of writing in the intro and the way she works with words.

TheBrandyButterflyEffect Wed 04-Jan-12 17:45:24

SweetTheSting Sun 04-Dec-11 15:37:19

I think we have the same edition, Pride - I eventually decided to skip the intro. I think it must be for people who'd already read the book when it first came out and so knew the specific language she used (which is presumably defined in the book later...).

Anyway, still haven't got very far but I also underlined the passage about the maleness of Jesus as one to come back to!

PrideOfChanur Fri 02-Dec-11 14:42:43

I am loving this,having nearly given up because I found the intro to my version so impenetrable..."since Crones understand thirteen to be an auspicious number,the timing would seem to be Crone-logical" was my favorite confused sentence.
Liked "women are in a unique sense called to be the bearers of existential courage in society"
I was struck by the passage in which she speaks about the male Jesus,and how the fact he was a man trumps all other aspects of his life,with regard to how women are treated in the church - women cannot be priests because priests are identified with the "man" Jesus, but this doesn't apply to ethnicity,age,any other characteristic which he possessed.It made me realise how very strongly women are seen as "other".

Like the "superhero names",SGM. It's the freedom of choosing a name to represent yourself,or aspects of yourself,without all the baggage attached in RL.

SweetTheSting Thu 01-Dec-11 09:58:43

Thanks for your thoughts, SGM. Gives me something to bear in mind when I read.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 30-Nov-11 21:39:32

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 30-Nov-11 21:32:11

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 30-Nov-11 21:16:51

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 30-Nov-11 21:06:06

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 30-Nov-11 20:44:25

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 30-Nov-11 19:18:53

SweetTheSting Tue 29-Nov-11 12:44:12

Haven't got very far yet but I will lurk tomorrow night!

Prolesworth Wed 23-Nov-11 13:48:19

just go for it vezzie, chat away: I could do with a spur to get on with it (still on the early bit of chapter 1 here blush)

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 23-Nov-11 13:44:09

vezzie Wed 23-Nov-11 13:37:19

Is this the right place to discuss BGTF? Is there a date or an agenda or certain sections, or just general chat any time?
My last 2 attempts to contribute to book threads on here were met with stony silence sad

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 16-Nov-11 17:21:31

Prolesworth Fri 14-Oct-11 21:36:32

ooh where are you off to PoC? Have a great time wine

PrideOfChanur Fri 14-Oct-11 20:46:37

Thanks for sorting this,Prolesworth and SGM.I am off on holiday now with BGTF as one of my holiday reads smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now