StewieGriffinsMom Wed 16-Nov-11 17:01:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SenseofEntitlement Wed 16-Nov-11 20:46:16

Excellent smile

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 16-Nov-11 21:07:14

SweetTheSting Wed 16-Nov-11 21:08:56

Hi all!

I liked the parts where the monster was observing the family and trying to understand how the world worked.

I didn't understand Frankenstein (the creator) as a character - I couldn't work out why he wasn't trying to track and restrain the monster after its first murder, especially as he seemed to have no real feelings for it. Or to have some protection for himself once he decided at the last minute not to create the companion. F did carry a gun near the end but I didn't really understand why he wasn't doing so earlier! F repeatedly tried to run away at the first sign of trouble (e.g. moment of the creation) and never seemed to learn this wasn't going to solve things. So I got frustrated with F!

stobes Wed 16-Nov-11 21:14:21

This is the first time I've contributed to an online book thing... not sure I know what to do

Anyway, I like Frankenstein a lot although from a feminist pov it's pretty tricky isn't it? Victor is a prize idiot but at least he has some defined characteristics. The female characters are a pretty one dimensional lot.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 16-Nov-11 21:15:46

stobes Wed 16-Nov-11 21:18:17

I love the fact that the language acquistion stemmed from listening to Paradise Lost.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 16-Nov-11 21:20:33

SenseofEntitlement Wed 16-Nov-11 21:21:03

I think a lot of the feminist analysis should focus on the fact that Victor is taking on the role of "mother" by creating the monster (isn't he called Adam, or was that a QI thing?), but then he abandons his creation. The monster isn't, in himself, evil, but he is compelled to do evil things by rejection, starting with the rejection by the one person he should have been able to trust - his creator.

stobes Wed 16-Nov-11 21:22:48

Absolutely re the behaviour justification, even at the end.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 16-Nov-11 21:23:06

SenseofEntitlement Wed 16-Nov-11 21:23:43

I think he tried to ignore the monster after he had created it as a way of attempting to deny what he had done. Victor is very grandiose - he thinks he knows more than anyone else, even God. Because of this, he is unwilling to face up to the fact that he has done something he shouldn't, and is unwilling to face the consequences.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 16-Nov-11 21:25:20

SenseofEntitlement Wed 16-Nov-11 21:26:28

Incidentally, have any of seen the Mark Steel programme on Mary Shelley. Highly Recommended

stobes Wed 16-Nov-11 21:27:21

Hmm, or are the female characters marginalised by the author rather than the male character? I think she was just more interested in Frankenstein and his role.

Yes, he usurps the role of the woman and that is the order of nature upset.

SenseofEntitlement Wed 16-Nov-11 21:27:56

I think that, at the time, there was a lot of unease about science taking over from nature, and this book is an embodiment of that.
I agree - nature as feminine and science as masculine.

SweetTheSting Wed 16-Nov-11 21:28:33

Yes, even at the end he was trying to persuade his new friend to risk his life plus those of his shipmates to go north destroy the monster - despite saying, "Seek happiness in tranquility and avoid ambition."

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 16-Nov-11 21:30:11

SweetTheSting Wed 16-Nov-11 21:31:23

I KNEW I didn't like him wink

stobes Wed 16-Nov-11 21:32:05

Good quotation! Yes, ambition is presented as something inherently male, isn't it?

stobes Wed 16-Nov-11 21:33:17

So IS the monster his doppelganger then?

SweetTheSting Wed 16-Nov-11 21:33:49

Victor was loved/worshipped by his family and even as a 'broken man' almost persuaded the narrator to risk his life. It is strange that the narrator did not seem horrified by the 'perversion of nature' that Victor had undertaken.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now