October Fiction Book Club: The Elegant Gathering of White Snows

(17 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Sun 13-Nov-11 09:50:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sakura Sun 13-Nov-11 06:27:51

It arrived yesterday, and when I read the blurb on the back cover a frisson ran through me. I've been reading it outside in the garden today.
Lovely.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 09-Nov-11 22:09:57

sakura Mon 07-Nov-11 13:34:50

Obviously I'm very late to the party (!), but your posts on this book sound so fascinating that I've just ordered it. I can't wait to read it.

SweetTheSting Fri 14-Oct-11 12:04:33

Finished!

SGM, I agree a bit about the epilogue - I didn't mind so much knowing what had happened to the characters but the pace didn't really go with the rest of the book which had let stories unfold over time. So I think it would have been better without it or with another couple of chapters devoted to 'the return'.

sAf for me, I meant the fantasy was that both families and strangers seemed so supportive of the walk (that was before I had got to the letters part of which a couple were vitriolic) but I think you are right also that having that time and space in today's world is quite a fantasy! Especially without three months of meticulous wifework-style trip planning first!

The story about the teas was just lovely. I wonder if it's a real tea (could Google but don't really want to know either way, I think!)

Have either of you read any of her other books?

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 12-Oct-11 22:31:47

it is very much a fantasy i think in that it has a kind of eutopicness (made up word) which is telling given there's nothing so outlandish about the story - just women having time and space together. think that goes to show how bizarrely rare that phenomena is that it reads like a fantasy confused

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 12-Oct-11 21:58:23

i read it - sorry - forgot the date.

i really enjoyed it - it captured that hunger that women have for friendship and deep communication and how it can be lost because women's lives tend to isolate them from one another. it covered the 'big' things that effect women - pregnancy, abortion, rape, losing children, etc etc.

i think that was the main thing for me - the isolation of their lives and the power that coming together and sharing had for healing.

sorry i forgot the date.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 12-Oct-11 21:33:26

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 12-Oct-11 21:16:06

SweetTheSting Wed 12-Oct-11 21:01:23

OK, I am clearly NOT going to finish by 9pm so I will post then sign off as I don't want to spoil the story to come!

I think it's beautifully written so far and I love how each of the women's stories is written in a different style to reflect their different voices. I think it's a bit of a fantasy as no-one so far seems to wish the women any ill and most seem very empathetic with them.

I really like how, although the friends have all taken different paths in life, there's no value judgement of e.g. Mary who wants to go back to her life as a homemaker vs, say, Chris who is much more career driven - just a lot of support and love between the women themselves.

Hopefully I will be back when I've finished it!

SweetTheSting Wed 12-Oct-11 20:18:24

Up to 40%!

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 12-Oct-11 14:06:17

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 11-Oct-11 16:45:55

SweetTheSting Tue 11-Oct-11 16:38:31

I am enjoying it very much so far but only 21% of the way through (says Kindle!) so might not finish by tomorrow night!

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 04-Oct-11 20:26:40

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now