More picture books for toddlers!

(12 Posts)

I've seen the thread about books with female characters, and some of the suggestions were great. However, I was wondering whether there were any books which really had a strong message of equality, rather than just containing female characters.

We've read quite a few, some specifically dealing with equality between men and women (e.g. What mommies do best, What daddies do best), but would love recommendations for others.

They're for my 3.5 year old son. I am trying my best to stop his dad's opinions becoming his own. He was shocked at the sight of a woman driving a van a few days ago, which has led to lots of conversations about men and women being able to do the same things. It's become one of his favourite activities!

QueenOfFeckingEverything Tue 30-Aug-11 22:28:30

[[ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paper-Bag-Princess-Little-Hippo/dp/0439973406 The Paper Bag Princess]] maybe.

Helpers by Shirley Hughes.

Both of those show someone doing things that are not generally depicted as being typical of their gender in children's books - not sure if that is the same as a strong message of equality but we like them smile

QueenOfFeckingEverything Tue 30-Aug-11 22:29:30

Paper Bag Princess

stupid computer

OverthehillsandfarawayNL Tue 30-Aug-11 22:32:41

I don't think Peepo is bad tbh. Mum and Grandma are around a lot but so is Dad and it's Dad doing the bath night and pouring tea whilst mum puts her feet up.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Tue 20-Sep-11 21:19:48

DS loves Pirate Gran Goes For Gold. I kinda hunted it out specially, as I was getting fed up of every "adventure" book we came across being male centred, and every female centred book being a bit... shit.

The Night Pirates went down well as well; Although I would have preferred Tom to have been a girl, but the main pirates of the story were girls.

falasportugues Sat 08-Oct-11 18:09:58

Princess Smartypants I love Babette Cole!

We have Pirate Gran too, v popular with both DS and DD in this house.

I really like a Quentin Blake one we had when I was younger called The Wild Washerwomen, not sure if its still in print.

Oh good, here it is

pallymama Sat 08-Oct-11 18:28:18

We have Princess Smartpants, and the Paperbag Princess. I'd say they are more "strong female characters" than "strong message of equality". They are both great books though. smile

My DD was given a set of Maisy books. She drives a bus, her male friend does and equal share of the cleaning, and shares the food shopping too. Trying to think if there's anything in them that's less than equal, but I can't think of anything.

falasportugues Sat 08-Oct-11 19:09:40

I loved the wild washerwomen too!

falasportugues Sat 15-Oct-11 23:42:07

this website looks like it has what you are after LetterboxLibrary

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now