August Non-Fiction Book Club:

(94 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Mon 08-Aug-11 18:28:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 08-Aug-11 18:33:19

PettyCoat Thu 18-Aug-11 16:45:50

It was v expensive on Amazon so I have bought a copy on ebay, hope it arrives soon!

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 29-Aug-11 16:28:22

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 31-Aug-11 19:39:06

PettyCoat Wed 31-Aug-11 21:04:03

Hello, this is my first book club! Managed to finish the book yesterday. I liked her points about both genders 'getting something' out of monogamy early in the book (chapter 3, I think)

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 31-Aug-11 21:06:11

PettyCoat Wed 31-Aug-11 21:08:15

I think that there is such a strong social message of 'women like monogamy, men don't' that it was good to have a counter argument of it being best for both genders in terms of furthering the gene pool.

PettyCoat Wed 31-Aug-11 21:08:51

I mean their individual gene pools (genome?)

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 31-Aug-11 21:09:08

bigkidsdidit Wed 31-Aug-11 21:09:28

Hi everyone!

I loved that chapter too. I'm a biologist so theorising like that appeals to me smile it didn't shock me so much though - perhaps a consequence of studyig evolution etc. Brilliant though, I thought

bigkidsdidit Wed 31-Aug-11 21:10:15

My first club too

Yes her discussion of the pill really did blow me away

SybilBeddows Wed 31-Aug-11 21:10:25

Hello, I read it about 10 years ago when my friends started getting married, haven't reread since.
But it is very good.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 31-Aug-11 21:10:53

bucaneve Wed 31-Aug-11 21:11:04

Hello! This is my first book club too. Haven't actually read the book blush (but have read reviews/interviews online) so I'll mainly just lurk

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 31-Aug-11 21:14:45

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 31-Aug-11 21:15:51

bigkidsdidit Wed 31-Aug-11 21:17:17

I struggle with wifework. For example, we forgot a birthday of one of DH's sisters the other month and I felt guilty. He didn't think it was my job to remember, but deep down I evidently did! Absurd, isn't it

PettyCoat Wed 31-Aug-11 21:17:52

Yes, I think I saw MillyR's posts. Interesting!

I didn't know how strong the bias was to divorce proceedings being started by women. I thought that was interesting, especially as I guess a lot of countries used to mandate divorce proceedings being started by men only (can't find the page now so not sure which country or countries she was referencing!)

PettyCoat Wed 31-Aug-11 21:19:58

Hi bigkidsdidit, largely because of other posts on here referencing Wifework, I told DH a few months ago that I wasn't sending any birthday cards or gifts to his side of the family. He doesn't do it. I assume he never did it before we got married, and no ILs have mentioned it!

bigkidsdidit Wed 31-Aug-11 21:20:11

Yes Pettycoat that was fascinating wasn't it! And the remarriage rates after divorce being so high for men

bucaneve Wed 31-Aug-11 21:21:12

The review that struck me the most was saying that she seemed a bit resigned to the fact that even if they got men to 'help' more, women should just have to accept a sort of base level of unhappiness in their marriages because marriage is statistically better for the children.

I've heard that about homosexuality too, something along the lines of if everyone had kids they wouldn't all survive so it'd be better for one sibling to be gay so that they could help rear their siblings/villages kids without actually having any themselves. I think this happens in the animal kingdom as well.

PettyCoat Wed 31-Aug-11 21:21:15

It was hard not to buy a present for new DN though! I have reminded him to get one before he visits - so I haven't entirely quit the 'planning' part of that wifework!

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 31-Aug-11 21:24:53

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 31-Aug-11 21:26:46

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now