Reading books by women...

(116 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

falasportugues Mon 20-Jun-11 22:42:31

I was going to dedicate some time to spotting some... but I think it might take up a little too much of my time!

fluffles Mon 20-Jun-11 22:47:23

Can i highly recommend Barbara Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer... it isn't subtle and it isn't high literature but it is an interesting story if you're interested in eco-feminism and other elements of women and nature.

Also, if you're outdoorsy (or even if you're not, my mum loved it) there's Shooting Boh by Tracy Johnston which is a about taking on a challenge in life just as your body is starting to age and you feel you're becoming invisible to men (around the menopause). Really really interesting stuff.

OmicronPersei8 Tue 21-Jun-11 18:37:29

falasportugues, I just googled women TV writers, one of the first things that came up was this piece on Mad Men. (Warning: there are spoilers if you've not yet watched it/much of it). I didn't realise that 7 (out of a total of 9) on the writing team are women.

When I watch it, I feel that the women on the show are the most interesting characters, and have at least as much weighting as the men.

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 21-Jun-11 21:56:07

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 21-Jun-11 21:56:34

Message withdrawn

falasportugues Wed 22-Jun-11 00:16:46

wow I hadn't realised. I haven't seen Mad men yet, so that'll be a treat

steviesmith Wed 22-Jun-11 09:05:09

I agree TV is incredibly depressing from a feminist perspective. I've started watching Treme (by the blokes who did The Wire) and yes it's alright but there are barely any women. And it's not even worthy of comment.

But it is great to read books by women. I didn't realise how many of the books I've been reading recently are by men.

I've rediscovered Doris Lessing and she is fantastic. Also found Stella Duffy a crime writer for a lighter read. I'm going to try and find some Dorothy Gilman as well.

TrilllianAstra Wed 22-Jun-11 18:12:03

What do you think about reading books that are written by men but in which the main character is a woman?

(I'm reading the new George R R Martin book when it comes out and you can't stop me - I've been waiting for it for years!)

TrilllianAstra Wed 22-Jun-11 19:23:09
TrilllianAstra Wed 22-Jun-11 19:23:29

Book Bechdel test - love it. smile

Prolesworth Wed 22-Jun-11 19:24:43

Message withdrawn

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 22-Jun-11 19:46:05

TrilllianAstra Wed 22-Jun-11 19:56:34

I'm afraid my literary knowledge is not up to much - what of the old woman in Candide?

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 22-Jun-11 20:16:32

TrilllianAstra Wed 22-Jun-11 20:44:21

Um, what? Not sure I get it.

LeninGrad Wed 22-Jun-11 20:47:03

Kate Atkinson chatting on MN now.

TrilllianAstra Wed 22-Jun-11 20:48:26

Looking to get how you feeling like the old woman in Candide relates to this thread... confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now