Reading books by women...

(116 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

steviesmith Fri 17-Jun-11 15:56:02

I love Sara Paretsky too. I only discovered her recently so I've got lots left to read. It's always great when you find a writer you like and can mine their back catalogue.

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 19-Jun-11 09:30:26

iskra Sun 19-Jun-11 10:22:43

I've ofte thought about doing a year of only reading/listening to female produced stuff. Think Inga Muscio talks about it in Cunt (is that on the list for teenage girls?). Bet someone somewhere is blogging about it.

I'm reading Elizabeth Taylor "Angel" at the moment. I got it in a charity shop because it was a green virago & I tend to find them interesting - this one is fab!

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 19-Jun-11 11:18:02

Message withdrawn

Message withdrawn

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 19-Jun-11 12:36:07

cleverything Sun 19-Jun-11 12:41:35

Does Jilly Cooper count? grin
Getting on this thread for recommendations.
I really don't get on with Joanne Harris's style. Hers are about the only books that I have started and not finished.

TrilllianAstra Sun 19-Jun-11 12:51:13

I am reading Jilly Cooper's "Class" at the moment. Written in 1979. It's funny.

If Joanne Harris is Chocolat then I didn't get on very well with her style either.

Obviously you must all read Caitlin Moran's book.

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 19-Jun-11 12:55:02

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 19-Jun-11 12:55:26

TrilllianAstra Sun 19-Jun-11 13:06:03

Not yet but they're on my list. smile

cleverything Sun 19-Jun-11 18:37:41

Caitlin Moran waiting for when I finish 'Jump!'. No spoilers please!

AliceWhirled Mon 20-Jun-11 08:27:32

ooo Could have been me that mentioned it. I've only been reading books for pleasure by women for a while now. Once I'm finished, I'll move on the the men wink

It's made me realise that pretty much all the academic things I read are written by men, but it's good to be conscious of it as now I'm changing it.

At the moment I'm reading The Women's History of the World by Rosalind Miles and Women of the Revolution by Kira Cochrane. Recommend both.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 20-Jun-11 09:08:11

RIPSambuccaKelly Mon 20-Jun-11 09:13:40

I've decided to do this. I am starting with all the Orange Prize 2011 nominees - ordered them all off Amazon a week or so ago. Currently reading Aminatta Forna's 'The Memory of Love' (funnily enough, all the main characters are male grin) - fabulous writing. She really is incredibly talented, and I am amazed this didn't win the Orange. She has set the bar very high, so am really looking forwrad to reading all the rest, especially Tea Obreht, who won.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 20-Jun-11 11:05:32

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 20-Jun-11 11:51:55

OmicronPersei8 Mon 20-Jun-11 12:26:52

SAF, the first VI Warshawski book by Sara Paretsky is 'Indemnity Only', if you want to read them in order.

falasportugues Mon 20-Jun-11 22:13:22

what about watching telly that's written/ directed by women.... there's a challenge!

sweetpea5 Mon 20-Jun-11 22:24:34

Isabel Allende - love her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now