StewieGriffinsMom Wed 08-Jun-11 10:24:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 15-Jun-11 08:32:55

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 15-Jun-11 19:48:07

falasportugues Thu 16-Jun-11 21:30:00

hello, I am new here, but love reading... it is my relaxation in the evening. I find it very hard to get into books written by men, so was interested in this thread. I have just read Pepita by Vita Sackville West, which gives a biography of her Spanish dancer grandmother, and her illegitimate mother. I so enjoyed reading about family history with the women in centre stage. I am wondering what to read next, and notice the poison wood bible suggested... what is it about? I am interested.

falasportugues Thu 16-Jun-11 21:36:20

ps Half of a yellow sun I found completely gripping. It really gave me an insight into human existance in war, i recommend it thoroughly

falasportugues Thu 16-Jun-11 21:37:28

perhaps i will try to get hold of a copy of purple hibiscus.

LeninGrad Thu 16-Jun-11 21:39:32

Anything by Sarah Waters is good. Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood I really liked too.

Try it with music too, I give you Skin from Skunk Anansie for starters.

steviesmith Thu 16-Jun-11 21:50:52

Poisonwood bible is a very harrowing read about Africa and post colonialism; it starts with a American missionary family going to live in what was then the Congo and follows the lives of the daughters of the family. I think I would recommend it although I also wonder if it's better to read Africans writing about Africa.

I deliberately chose books by women from the library at my last trip. It was hard as I also found a stash of Henning Mankell's which I hadn't read. But I ended up with a Ruth Rendell who I can just inhale in one go, a Doris Lessing who I haven't read for years and something by Joyce Carol Oates who I now realise isn't Carol Shields.

falasportugues Thu 16-Jun-11 21:56:00

stevie, yes i know what you mean about african writing. still it sounds interesting, as am curious about post colonialism.... when is it set?

falasportugues Thu 16-Jun-11 21:57:25

lenin grad, i'll look for sarah waters in the library... anything in particular that makes you rate her?

LeninGrad Thu 16-Jun-11 22:01:36

I think I like the Victorian era stuff from a female perspective.

falasportugues Thu 16-Jun-11 22:10:13

i have never heard of sarah waters... i also enjoy historical books. what do you think would be a good starting point?

LeninGrad Thu 16-Jun-11 22:18:40

Probably Alias Grace by Atwood, just brilliant. Then maybe Fingersmith by Waters, although sometimes I confuse myself if I read two similar-era ones close together!

falasportugues Thu 16-Jun-11 22:20:33

When is Alias Grace set?

LeninGrad Thu 16-Jun-11 22:21:54

1850s, a bit earlier than Waters' first couple of books.

falasportugues Thu 16-Jun-11 22:27:37

thanks, lenin... i'll see what my local 2nd hand bookshop has got, because i shouldn't think the library will have these recommendations.

LeninGrad Thu 16-Jun-11 22:31:32

The library will, also we can order from our library for free now.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 16-Jun-11 22:32:33

falasportugues Thu 16-Jun-11 22:35:03

I will check the library on saturday. i have been very frustrated requesting books there... lots are on the catalogue but missing, also you have to pay up here!

OmicronPersei8 Fri 17-Jun-11 01:18:25

I read a book I'd never heard of before yesterday. I used to enjoy reading Sherlock Holmes books, so yesterday I read 'The Beekeeper's Apprentice' by Laurie R. King. It continues the Holmes story after his retirement (it is set during WWI), when he meets (and from the perspective of) a teenage girl, who is his equal intellectually. She is a pretty modern woman, and I thought it was great.

Currently I've also got some Dorothy L. Sayers and Nancy Mitford saved up to read. And for a more modern flavour, some Ali Smith too (I met her, years back. Great woman).

OmicronPersei8 Fri 17-Jun-11 01:20:43

Oh, and waiting for the latest Sara Paretsky to come out in paperback. I love her books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now