Pro-Feminist Fiction books for Girls.

(26 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Thu 02-Jun-11 20:57:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 02-Jun-11 21:01:08

TheRealMBJ Thu 02-Jun-11 21:07:52

Thank you SGM. I don't have a DD yet, but would like my DS to be exposed to strong female characters and have some up my sleeves for if I have a DD too.

Mind you I may be a bit ahead of myself as DS is only 17 mo grin

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 02-Jun-11 21:09:54

MitchiestInge Thu 02-Jun-11 21:13:29

new moon girls magazine is surprisingly popular with my 12yo daughter, think I might have seen it mentioned here before but if not is worth linking new moon it's an improvement on anything else aimed at her age group anyway

AyeRobot Thu 02-Jun-11 21:31:30

I can't really remember what I read when I was that age, although I was a voracious reader.

One book that sticks in my mind is The Best Little Girl in the world I don't even know how I came to read it, given that I was lucky enough not to have any eating disorders at the age, although I got a bit screwed up around food a bit later but not to that extent.

LynnCSchreiber Thu 02-Jun-11 21:32:07

Thank you for starting this thread, SGM.

We are working our way through Harry Potter at the moment, and I think we have a Cornelia Funke but not sure which.

Hmm, I might do a Amazon wishlist for DD so that my Mum can buy books for DD instead of her buying Barbie Annuals

Prolesworth Thu 02-Jun-11 21:39:29

Message withdrawn

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 02-Jun-11 22:51:20

GeoPuzzles Thu 02-Jun-11 23:02:15

what is the feminist message?
I have 3 dd

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 03-Jun-11 08:16:38

Bonsoir Fri 03-Jun-11 08:29:15

The Noël Streatfield books (Ballet Shoes, The Painted Garden, White Boots, the Gemma series...) are great female role models - young girls who had to work hard for their living and achieved greatness by identifying their own particular talents and applying a lot of effort, often in difficult family circumstances.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 03-Jun-11 11:02:44

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 05-Jun-11 15:06:42

frikonastick Sun 05-Jun-11 16:22:08

theres the green rider series by kristen britain

and the hunger games series by suzanne collins

these are more teenager though

iskra Sun 19-Jun-11 19:16:49

Definitely the Joan Aiken 'Wolves of Willoughby Chase' series starring mainly Dido Twite

falasportugues Wed 22-Jun-11 00:24:36

prolesworth: spot on. there is Nothing ideologically unsound about any of Catherine Storr's books... she wrote a number of novels for older children too, which show children's responses to various sorts of challenges... interpersonal relationships to kidnaps! one of her later books was "The Mirror Image Ghost" which I really enjoyed.

BillyJoel Mon 27-Jun-11 01:27:36

Thanks for the lists and ideas. My 12 and 10 yr old DDs are always on the hunt for a good book to read, and so i have done a bulk order from Amazon of about eight from Stewie's list. Will last us for a while and take us to DD3 in a few years - still in reception and just learning to read...so sweet.

So thanks all - have saved this thread for when we need more. Might even order Stewie's 2011 list and have a go myself.

hazeybabes Wed 29-Jun-11 14:49:26

'Ribblestrop' by Andy Mulligan. This book is about a chaotic private school with a maverick headmaster. One of the main characters is Millie (the only girl in the school) who has been excluded from all her other schools and is part of a government initiative to pay for excluded pupils to go to private school. She smokes, she steals, she fights - OK, maybe not the best role model in one sense, but she is f**king cool! The female teachers in this book are fantastic as well. One of them is the main 'baddy' and one of them is a professor of science.

QueenOfFeckingEverything Wed 29-Jun-11 14:55:48

The 'Jinny' series by Patricia Leitch.

'The Stream That Stood Still', about a princess who has to rescue her kidnapped brother, but its out of print and £££££ to buy unless you get lucky in a charity shop.

Philip Pullman's 'Sally Lockhart' trilogy - fabulous female lead who has a baby out of wedlock in Victorian London and still manages to run her own successful business.

mumwithdice Wed 29-Jun-11 15:26:56

For young teens, I always liked Lois Lowry's Anastasia Krupnik series.

Takver Sat 17-Sep-11 15:37:20

Coming to this very late as I missed it the first time, but I would add the Roman Mysteries series (Flavia Gemina)

buzzskillington Sat 17-Sep-11 21:08:17

Thanks for this thread. DD brought home 'Twilight' this week - desperately need antidotes! grin

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 18-Sep-11 09:09:46

buzzskillington Sun 18-Sep-11 10:38:28

Oh thank you grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now