"The first feminist mystery novel" - do you agree?

(54 Posts)
meditrina Mon 30-May-11 17:40:01

I found that quotation in wiki (sourced from a master's thesis) about Gaudy Night (1935) by Dorothy L Sayers.

Has anyone here read it? And if so, to what extent would you agree with that description?

edam Sun 05-Jun-11 22:15:38

Ah, that's right, Chimneys is Agatha Christie. JPW did a good job on the novel, but Sayer's short stories in WW2 are well worth reading.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Thu 17-May-12 13:01:05

Dilys Price - love your commetn about how Harriet does not need MN advice to leave the bastard grin
The thing about Bunter that bugged me was when the Dowager Duchess was showing Harriet pics of LPW as a boy that Bunter took confused

SweetTheSting Fri 18-May-12 22:23:40

Yeah, I never got that bit about the photos either - I have post-rationalised it as the Dowager was talking about the baby photos but Harriet was looking at a set of adult photos and commenting on those and it was just a lack of clarity from the author.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it grin

GetDownNesbitt Sun 10-Jun-12 20:44:10

These are my favourite books ever. Introduced to them at university as part of a module on detective fiction, where Gaudy Night was taught from a feminist angle - my copy still has my blinding obvious observations written in the margin.

The biographies of Sayers are fascinating - I recommend 'Such a Strange Lady' by Janet ????

One of my DC is named after the books...not a co-incidence at all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now