StewieGriffinsMom Sat 26-Feb-11 20:21:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 26-Feb-11 21:22:16

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 26-Feb-11 21:23:01

AgeingGrace Sun 27-Feb-11 00:30:12

This book (old version) fixed my eating disorders. Just sayin'

I love Ms Orbach. But I thought she was considered "not a proper feminist" these days?

AgeingGrace Sun 27-Feb-11 00:33:21

Just seen other thread blush

sakura Sun 27-Feb-11 06:30:19

I'm not sure whether to join this book club, and the reason for this is I don't have any body issues.

I wasn't sure whether to write that statement or not.
But I wrote it because i'd like it to be culturally acceptable for a woman to state chategorically that she has no issues with her body. It's not being smug, it's just the truth.

Having said that I was anorexic for about a year when I was about 12 years old! But because anorexia is connected to control, when I reached 13, became a teenager and gained some autonomy, the control issues surrounding food dissapeared. I grew up in a household where there was never enough to eat, and I think that might be another reason why I actually have a good relationship with food now.

I might join it because I'd like to be able to look out for any problem signs with DD.

sakura Sun 27-Feb-11 06:33:56

IN case anyone "misenterprets" what I meant. I know that fat is an feminist issue, a worrying, awful feminist issue. I think I'm worried I might jinx myself by reading the book and end up thinking more about my body after reading it than I was before IYSWIM.
Is it a good read?

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 27-Feb-11 09:18:59

GlynisIsFixed Sun 27-Feb-11 09:21:25

I read this 1st time about 20 years ago, wonder if I still have my copy........

Will hunt it down and read again, love to join you all smile

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 27-Feb-11 09:23:17

EngelbertFustianMcSlinkydog Sun 27-Feb-11 14:36:14

midnightexpress Sun 27-Feb-11 14:47:21

Well, you might be the scariest group in MN, but d'you know what, I wandered over here to see what all the fuss was about and I've ordered the book. I guess no publicity is bad publicity.

BTW, have you seen today's Observer - there's a big spread in the main section on women and body image - S.O. is contributing to it, among others.

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 27-Feb-11 15:02:29

Drizzela Sun 27-Feb-11 15:13:41

I havent read it and will join and do so, is it suitable for a 12 year old?

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 27-Feb-11 15:52:23

Drizzela Sun 27-Feb-11 19:51:14

Thanks, maybe I'll read it first. I beleive my DSD is showing early signs of an eating disorder and as her mother is from the 'be a good girl, be pretty and marry a rich husband' brigade I would like to find a way of getting DSD to realise that a lot of pressure that is put on women to lose wieght and follow a certain path to attractiveness in order for men to accept and love you is born through masochism.

Im sure anything I say gets lost in translation and interpreted as arguing with her mum's views.

MitchiestInge Sun 27-Feb-11 20:02:29

my copy is 23 years old shock do I need a new edition?

MitchiestInge Sun 27-Feb-11 20:03:57

I mean it's perfectly readable but has it been revised? I feel quite depressed at the thought of reading this again, which must mean it will be Good for me

EngelbertFustianMcSlinkydog Sun 27-Feb-11 20:08:52

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 27-Feb-11 20:11:09

BibiBlocksberg Sun 27-Feb-11 20:28:06

I bought and read it a fair few months ago and struggled with parts of it tbh.

Mainly I don't believe that most women are free to have as much choice over what they eat as the book advocates (unless they only have themselves to feed I mean)

Plus, it states that every woman's wish/desire (struggling for proper word) is to be thin - not at all sure that is true.

Looking forward to having my eyes opened to the parts I found difficult to digest

Drizzela Sun 27-Feb-11 20:44:53

Thanks SG'M I found Beauty Myth challenging to read myself so I don't think DSD would buy in to it, if Fat is a Fem issue is of a similar vain then yes, maybe I'll just leav eit lying about grin

I get Equality illusion confused with 'Living Dolls' as I read them both iver the same weekend, doesn't EI have some rather graffic descriptions of abuse...? Or is that LDs?

I actually think she could handle it even if it was fairly grafic but it has to be pretty soft core else I'll be accussed of supplying her with 'inappropriate and damaging extremist material'

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 27-Feb-11 20:49:55

Drizzela Sun 27-Feb-11 20:53:31

I think it could have been that one... I have a problem with giving books away as soon as I've read them to try to spread the word (even though I'm pretty sure they don't often get read!) so I can't refer to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now