A statue of a suffragette in Parliament Square

(7 Posts)
OddBoots Mon 09-May-16 10:30:42

This campaign seems to have been running a couple of months but I have only just heard of it through my twitter feed.

"There are eleven statues in Parliament Square. Not a single one is of a woman."

Wow!

Telegraph article

Petition

Catnuzzle Tue 10-May-16 06:43:52

Signed.

Theydontknowweknowtheyknow Tue 10-May-16 06:47:34

Well there's a worthy campaign if ever I saw one. grin

CCP is so good at understanding the way these things affect girls.

Wyldfyre Tue 10-May-16 06:48:45

Lovely idea - aiming for 2018 would be good to mark 100 years.
Also I'd like to see a statue of a normal "foot soldier" suffragette rather than one of Mrs Pankhurst.

Signed

Catnuzzle Tue 10-May-16 21:22:17

Bumping.

OddBoots Wed 11-May-16 17:55:31

There has been a sort of update:
---
11 May 2016 — Dear Petitioner

Thank you for the petition submitted on the change.org website regarding a statue in Parliament Square dedicated to the Suffragettes.

The Mayor has said he will be a proud feminist in City Hall and is committed to breaking down barriers to success for women and full gender equality. He believes that the Suffragette movement was a key milestone towards achieving this goal, which should be commemorated. There are of course certain practical issues to consider, but he is keen to explore a suitable high-profile site for a statue, whether this is in Parliament Square, or another high-profile, appropriate location in central London

Yours sincerely

Public Liaison Officer
City Hall
---

This sounds hopeful, hopefully there will be space for it in Parliament Square itself, it really don't feel right to only have statues of men there.

WhirlwindHugs Wed 11-May-16 18:11:41

Parliament square would be excellent - glad Sadiq Khan has replied so soon after being elected too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now