Trying to find my niche in the feminist movement. Need advice..

(4 Posts)
dashoflime Wed 17-Jul-13 19:40:18

Hi All,

Bit of background: Been a raging left winger for many years, always considered myself a feminist and been fairly active. Mainly in women's caucuses within wider left wing groups.

Recently moved to a new town and decided to get active in the women's movement proper. Have found a couple of feminist groups and got involved but found the movement (such as it is) hopelessly split into factions comprising:

1. Very young crowd of very 3rd wave types. Many enthusiasts for queer theory. Frankly incomprehensible politics, which if carried to their conclusion would mean the complete negation of women's solidarity with each other. So PoMo they make my teeth itch. I've posted about them in despair and confusion before.

2. RadFems. Slightly older. Less mad politics- based on material conditions at least. I feel would naturally feel more drawn to them; EXCEPT for their confusing and paranoid focus on trans people. I can't, in all good conscience, get involved in any political current that regards attacking another marginalised group to be an integral (or legitimate) part of their activity.

Obviously both sides hate each other. Any attempts to work together seems to end in hostility and mutual recriminations. Which is shit because there are really only enough feminists to make up one reasonably sized group.

Am I missing something? Is there another feminist movement full of sensible, progressive people who just want to get on with improving things for women? Or is this really it?

Those of you who are active in real life please help me out here because I am confused and depressed my this.

kukeslala Thu 18-Jul-13 12:40:16

I'm not part of any groups. So I really dont know about the differences and options.

Why not start your own to fill a gap?

proudmum95 Thu 29-Aug-13 23:14:14

if you are struggling to support the movement do not support it

Hebemajeebe Thu 29-Aug-13 23:23:57

I have no advice sadly but am interested in any responses. Have often wondered what sort of feminist I am and have found it hard to get much enthusiasm when confronted with the sorts of groups you describe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now