TESCO Inappropriate/Sexist Content

(14 Posts)
clare626 Fri 21-Jun-13 23:54:04

i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w657/clare626/SEXISTPOSTERATTESCO_zpsdf10b8e5.jpg

I wondered if anyone else had encountered the poster (see link above) whilst shopping at Tesco.

Promotional material for the latest Grand Theft Auto game, the game itself infamous for its sexual content, is currently on display in my local Tesco Home store. I do my best to avoid such images as I find them offensive, however in this instance, I had no choice but to view the poster, due to the material's sheer size and placement.

Furthermore, as a firm believer that girls are being sexualised at younger and younger ages, I take steps not to expose my young nieces to such images, but as with myself, the girls had no choice but to be confronted by this "cartoon" bikini clad youth. In addition, given that the release date for the game is September, the material is likely to be on display throughout the school holidays.

Having discussed the matter with in-store customer service I was told that, as this was the only promotional material for the game sent to the stores, it could not be neither be moved or removed. Furthermore, I was also told that I would find similar material in stores such as GAME and HMV.

Whilst I would disagree with the display of the image in any context, I was particularly concerned to find it within Tesco. I had until now, regarded Tesco as a family-friendly store. The same cannot be said for the other stores mentioned. The fact that the image was the only material supplied is no excuse for displaying it within stores.

Having then emailed my concerns to the online customer service team, I was assured that although Tesco has "no intention of causing any offence...This game is going to be very popular with many customers and it is something that we need to advertise." Does this mean then that however inappropriate, out of place and potentially harmful the item, as long as it is popular with many of their customers, Tesco will continue to stock the item?

As Tesco "will continue to monitor all customer feedback (they) receive relating to this product," I would urge anyone who feels the same way to feedback either in-store or via

0800 505 555

customer.service@tesco.co.uk or online@tesco.co.uk

https://en-gb.facebook.com/tesco (Tesco Facebook page)

https://twitter.com/UKTesco (Tesco Twitter page)

Ultimately I believe Tesco has been irresponsible in its decision to display this material and is willing to dismiss the potential harm this could do in favour of popularity (and profits no doubt).

Many thanks

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 21-Jun-13 23:57:18

I'm with you.

Without clicking on the link, I know exactly which image you mean. Because I also saw it and thought hmm

Pretty shit of Tesco to be promoting Grand Theft Auto in that way.

SunshineBossaNova Sat 22-Jun-13 00:12:09

I've seen that poster (no need to click) at our local Game.

Jarrod Fri 02-Aug-13 07:01:13

Really? Its a poster! No one cares.

DoveDovePigeon Fri 02-Aug-13 07:05:43

You should post this to @everydaysexism on twitter

MaMattoo Thu 08-Aug-13 21:55:03

Complaint email sent..

Cheeseatmidnight Tue 20-Aug-13 21:40:54

Complaint email sent. I had a little rant!

vaudevelle Tue 28-Jan-14 16:34:49

Semi-naked flesh of is around us all the time, TV ads use examples of youthful beauty from both genders. Why does this example have you so shocked and would you have been so mentally terrorised had it been a hot man?

moonshinestar2 Wed 19-Feb-14 20:43:13

I believe that bikini clad woman are no worse than topless men, who are often used in swimwear and beach ware campaigns in Tesco...

TwittyMcTwitterson Sun 02-Mar-14 14:33:49

I completely agree children are oversexualised at a young age and women degraded sexually on a daily basis.

However, this is a girl in a bikini? And also a cartoon. It's not sexual. It's a pretty girl in a standard stupid pose. She's not legs open, face down arse up. wink

Do you not take your children swimming/to the beach?

the girl is wearing a bikini, do you not go to the beach? jeez, have you nothing better to do with your time than complain about an advert???

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Wed 12-Mar-14 11:13:00

The image doesn't offend me, however the promotion of GTA is more of a worry.

911lol Tue 18-Mar-14 10:56:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

allakhazam Thu 24-Jul-14 09:51:15

I am deeply distressed to hear that you and your neices had to bear witness to a cartoon of a woman in a bikini. It certainly puts bearing witness the ritual slaughter of my parents into perspective. I shall pray for you all as I walk the 15 miles to my nearest clean water supply. Stay strong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now