resurrect feminism and have a demonstration against legal aid cuts and benefit cuts directly attacking women who leave unhappy relationships

(8 Posts)
lizzie479 Wed 06-Mar-13 14:02:42

I am getting angrier and angrier at the proposed cuts to the welfare state aimed at lone parents. Also with the withdrawal of legal aid I feel directly targeted as a single mother who made the difficult choice to either stay in a destructive relationship and pop 'happy' pills or bit the bullet and leave. I chose the latter only to find no legal aid protection for me, a welfare state being eroded, and the media targeting 'single mums sponging off the state attitude'. I would like to earn but where are the flexible, decently paid jobs we are supposed to be applying for? I feel directly targeted by the current coalition government because I am a woman who had the audacity to leave her long term partner rather than stay and suffer in silence. I think we need to have a peaceful demonstration that gets our plight across. The students did it when their fees were increased, the disabled when their disability living allowance was reduced.

BettyBlueBlue Sun 10-Mar-13 12:38:16

Agree with you, lizzie.

I honestly cannot understand how any woman in this country can vote conservative. They do have an agenda against the psychological, financial and personal independence of women in society and they do let you know about it.

By withdrawing child benefit, and legal aid for those wanting to divorce, the message they're sending is: obey your husband, keep your mouth shut and be grateful that you have a roof and food on your plate in these difficult times.

It is obviously cheaper for any government to have a docile, submissive wife at home looking after the children, with no money and no say in society, than having someone who wants to work, develop their skills and knowlegde, and become stronger and independent.

Let's all bake cupcakes like lovely Mrs Cameron at home while the big boy is doing big business!!! And don't forget to take your pills every day so your mind is too foggy to even think about it and get angry.

Unfortunately, the institution of marriage is based on those values. It's a shame because real love between a man and a woman has nothing to do with that. But once you enter the marital contract, you enter a tricky cage, and you either work out a way to survive in it without losing your mind, your soul, and your dignity, or you leave.

Darkesteyes Tue 12-Mar-13 21:51:24

Totally agree. I can NOT understand why ANY woman can vote Tory. What they believe in is ownership of women not marriage.

HillBilly76 Sat 16-Mar-13 16:38:30

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

buildingmycorestrength Tue 19-Mar-13 09:23:29

If men had the sole care of the kids and had taken years out of their career to care for children and clean up other people's messes while supporting the major breadwinner... they probably would need state assistance.

dadsmatter Sat 03-Aug-13 00:29:22

You are more likely to get legal aid as a women and a resident parent.As a for mer union rep I know women make choices. To have babies then. To come back to work and to be fully supported to work part time Why are the radical feminists always playing the victim card this is old fashioned and so wrong.

dadsmatter Sat 03-Aug-13 00:38:11

It seems the person that called for the resurrection of feminism has no idea that the cuts affect men and boys too. We all have dads sons brothers and some of us male partners, do you not think they are equally as affected by this governments cuts.

tomsellecklover Sun 04-Aug-13 11:26:22

lizzie - think I recognise your name from.lone parents ? I'm totally up for this, we are trying to see if you we can formulate a plan to do with campaigning for family law reform at the moment. come join us!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now