Starting a feminist society at university

(14 Posts)
Robbiann Mon 11-Feb-13 12:30:38

This is a truly disgusting website. How hackneyed and colloquial has it become to foment and foster the Women V Men polarity? This site actively encourages and foments misandry. This is the 21st century and women still believe that life on earth is a conspiracy by men to undermine and marginalise women? A self-fulfilling prophesy it seems?

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Thu 31-Jan-13 17:04:46

How did you get on baby lann?

Greymalken Thu 24-Jan-13 18:18:33

You could ask here https://www.facebook.com/groups/149644498393099/ Usually your campus will have an SU who is responsible for clubs and societies they can point you in the right direction. First week in February tend to be a refresher week which is the best chance to create a society.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 03-Jan-13 13:20:34

My advice would be to start a thread on here (or ask HQ to change the title of this one) saying where you are in the title and see if there are other people on MN who might want to join in. Decide what sort of place you want to meet in (a quiet meeting room, a cafe, a pub, students' union etc) and publicise the first meeting round uni, making sure you have moral support from friends so at least you know you won't be sitting there on your own.

(Oh and being in a feminist group is great, only downside is people assuming you're talking about men all the time! Feminism =/= talking about men, the clue's in the name really.)

MrsClown1 Wed 19-Dec-12 20:35:58

Good luck to you. Please let us know how it goes.

Grumpla Mon 26-Nov-12 01:42:45

hmm @ Frans

Anyhoo, does your SU have a women's officer OP? Perhaps worth getting in touch?

Good luck setting up your group! Ignore the arseholes, they are legion but not invincible smile

Frans1980 Mon 26-Nov-12 01:07:50

"but also a place where people can meet to discuss feminism."

Translation: "a place where women can sit and shit talk about men over coffee"

Bridgeface Tue 20-Nov-12 11:37:15

Hi, I'm also at staffs uni (stoke campus) and would be interested in setting up this group with you. I'm on the fine art course, level 6.

Newcastle some good femsocs and groups here. "Feminism: Back by popular demand!" Good luck OP

staceface Sun 18-Nov-12 22:09:39

I am so pleased to see this message. I have returned back to Stoke after a five year stint up North and have been very disappointed that there are no Feminist Groups up and running. I would be very interested in helping set up the group.

EmmelineGoulden Wed 14-Nov-12 14:55:08

You could try emailing the women's groups at Birmingham, Manchester, or Leeds (I added Leeds because the other two don't claim to be specifically feminist). Or any other university really, but the closer geographically they are the more likely you can persuade a member or two to come visit you guys when you first get going.

It's a long time since I was at university, I can't imagine there not being a feminist society at a place of higher education. I find that quite depressing.

babylann Wed 14-Nov-12 14:06:56

Ahhh I'm sure I've outed myself enough times on here by now. My uni is Staffordshire university, here is a site with the list of their societies http://www.staffsunion.com/activities/clubsandsocs/

No feminism on there!

Also, a quick google search couldn't find any feminist clubs in Stoke-on-Trent as a whole, though a more thorough search might find one.

EmmelineGoulden Tue 13-Nov-12 07:42:50

Baby - I find it a bit shocking that a university wouldn't have a feminist group shock (<--see?! wink ) Will you out yourself if you tell us which Uni?

I haven't set up a feminist group, but I've set up groups at university. I found they come under the Students' Union unbrella and your Students' Union will have information on how to set one up and what support is available - usually meeting space, advertising to the student body, material on ways to run a group (e.g. how to keep accounts, officers etc.) and possibly even a little bit of funding). An alternative, if you're reading a related subject, might be to set up a departmental group. In which case get some faculty on side and see what they can provide.

Good luck!

babylann Mon 05-Nov-12 17:13:23

I'm interested in starting a feminist society at my university after being disappointed to find one doesn't already exist. I'd like it to be an activist group but also a place where people can meet to discuss feminism.

After discussing with a few friends, I know I have their support. I'm not entirely sure how to go about setting it up but will contact the university to find out.

It's a daunting task, because although I'm very determined and serious, I'm shy and anxious.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience in setting up a feminist society or group, who could give me an idea of the positives and negatives I'm likely to experience. Or any advice about how to make it work and get others involved.

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now