Sudanese woman sentenced to death by stoning

(18 Posts)
cris47 Mon 17-Jun-13 11:02:48

Trolls4us, interesting thought. Men and power? Look at it? war, bloodshed, hysteria, calls for annihilation. What, are they mad? I was moved to grief with the sight of the little boy in red Wellington boots, dead on his doorstep, killed as he tried to escape into his home, probably screeming for his mum, oh no, silly me, she was dead on the path! Bless his little heart. Why don't all these people of all these religions draw a big line under their historical grievances, start from now, today, armistice, weapons down, and create a new peaceful world order. No, of course not! Just keep throwing stones and playing soldiers and then we can all blow up and that will be the end of us all. Men and power! You should be ashamed, you kill the children of the planet - not in my name you don't! What to do? Mothers against war? World Peace? That's what John Lennon and Yoko Ono were saying but, no, the guns of war rage on, and we are impotent! so unbelievably sad. Thank you ladies for the space to rant! Hugs. X

Childrenofthestones Wed 02-Jan-13 07:32:12

Lucky lady. Plenty have been dispatched despite the lack of evidence.

Frans1980 Sun 23-Dec-12 04:32:12

I know this is an old thread but it's worth mentioning the woman was released without any charges.

Not because of petitions/campaigns, but simply because there wasn't enough evidence

www.sihanet.org/index.php/news-and-events/80-intisar-sharif-abdallah-released-because-of-lack-of-evidence

trolls4us Tue 25-Sep-12 13:32:25

looks like the sudanese need reorganising by any one! smile wrking class women or middle or even the queen...there is such a thing as the womens holocaust and it has been going on since time memorial...and a lot of people think this is still acceptable to persecute and abuse women and refuse them basic human rights ...how can that even be the slightest bit right in this century ? why are men around the world so afraid of female power and surely if we are not given human rights we will end up taking them by force and men will be the underclass one day who are treated as animals because they cannot be trusted with power....come on surely there is a bettr way than that for the future for our sons? and daughters

Childrenofthestones Mon 03-Sep-12 20:21:50

whooshwhoosh Thu 21-Jun-12 19:32:47
Would you like it if Sudanese came to UK and told you how to organise your society? I think perhaps we should fix our own country first before we go about self-righteously preaching. They have been living that way for centuries and suddenly a group of middle class women think they know best.

You, are a sickening apologist of the lowest order.

YoYoYoItsTillyMinto Wed 04-Jul-12 19:57:00

condemning death by stoning does not = we go about self-righteously preaching.

HelpWithActivism Tue 26-Jun-12 17:37:41

Worried it is horrific - its a horrific punishment and women are disproportionately convicted of these crimes.

HelpWithActivism Tue 26-Jun-12 17:35:18

Thank you for the replies. The woman in question would love people to champion her cause. It helps no one to appease the behaviour if really atrocious regimes.

There is a Sudanese organised petition ongoing and demo planned for this week.

whoish you are misguided.

yellowraincoat Thu 21-Jun-12 19:43:52

We don't execute anyone in Britain whooshwhoosh. In fact the USA is the only Western country that has the death penalty. Which Amnesty International also campaign against.

There really isn't a grey area as regards the death penalty as far as I'm concerned.

whooshwhoosh Thu 21-Jun-12 19:40:30

And we execute people by lethal injection/hanging/electric chair in the West. When our society is perfect then maybe we have the moral authority to go about deciding how other countries should be run.

Unfortunately, for the rest of the world, the West has done a terrible job of running foreign countries better than the natives, yet still we try and do it under many guises including feminism it appears.

worriedwretch Thu 21-Jun-12 19:39:03

Just because things have been happening for a long time doesn't make them right or acceptable.

This is pretty horrific really sad

Thistledew Thu 21-Jun-12 19:36:34

Because there is so much of a grey area when it comes to someone being stoned to death. hmm

If you sit on the fence about everything you really do become as thick as two short planks. angry

whooshwhoosh Thu 21-Jun-12 19:32:47

Would you like it if Sudanese came to UK and told you how to organise your society? I think perhaps we should fix our own country first before we go about self-righteously preaching. They have been living that way for centuries and suddenly a group of middle class women think they know best.

FeministPixie Thu 31-May-12 22:53:41

Find a way to raise money for a DNA test? Although, actually, this could go horribly wrong.. nevermind.

QueenEdith Sat 26-May-12 11:50:14

Here is the Suanese Tribune on this story. Some of it does seem bizarre - the man has denied fornication and been acquitted. She has not however retracted her statements that the baby is not her husband's, so has been found guilty.

Shariah Law applies (they also have provision for amputations for theft), so to change this one is up against changing a whole country's judicial system and that has to come from within, surely? But the Tribune article states that there is no record of extreme sentences (stoning or amputation) actually being carried out. This case has been referred to the Supreme Court for final approval. This must surely be the place to apply pressure now.

HelpWithActivism Sat 26-May-12 11:44:57

Thanks Huge

Bump, will help in any way i can.

HelpWithActivism Sat 26-May-12 11:29:12

"A 20-year old Sudanese woman was sentenced to death by stoning on 13 May, on charges of adultery. She did not have access to a lawyer during her trial, and was convicted based on testimony she gave after being beaten by her brother. She is being detained with her baby. She in psychological distress and does not understand the nature of her sentence." ua.amnesty.ch/urgent-actions/2012/05/149-12

I have not had much experience in activism and I would love some pointers on how to get involved and galvanise people behind this campaign.
I have so far come up with:
1) posting on facebook and asking people to repost (does that work?)
2) a petition at change.org
3) Writing to the Sudanese President, Justice Minister etc as part of an Amnesty urgent action....

Thats it....

Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now