"cheerleaders" "dancing" on ITV4 DFL cricket - please email to complain to - viewerservices@itv.com

(7 Posts)
Sausageeggbacon Thu 03-May-12 12:36:44

DS1 plays sports and loves watching sport on TV. Having seen the cheerleaders it depends on the team how their dancers are dressed. One team has all the dancers in traditional hindu outfits. DS1 says the cheerleaders and the speed of twenty20 cricket (he insists this is how to write it) is so the sport can try to gain a foothold in the USA. Would say only two teams I would really question on the outfits, you can tell who rules the tv in my house. The only sport so far I have drawn a line at is the lingerie football league which thank heavens is so far only in America.

MoChan Thu 03-May-12 11:54:34

Do people then think that 'normal' cheer-leading is okay? There was a cheer leading display by the top class at our local primary school and I found it creepy. Especially as it was all girls doing it, in little short skirts. And no sporting event nearby. But I think cheer leading in general is a bit horrible, anyway.

niksat Tue 24-Apr-12 15:11:24

not sure, but even if they do, i presume it can be organised so that they cut to something else when they are being shown, and if there are enough people that complain about it, i would think it would affect what coverage they agree to accept in the future, which could possibly have a knock on effect on whether they continue to be shown in this way. if people just think that there's nothing we can do about it, that's a sure way for nothing to be done about it!

Gigondas Tue 24-Apr-12 14:58:52

I can't say I am delighted with this type of thing at sport (it's different to us cheer leading which is quite athletic and part of the sports game ).

However don't ITV buy the programme in from Ipl so not sure it's up to them to broadcast it.

niksat Tue 24-Apr-12 14:56:51

they only have three girls at a time dancing, in very skimpy clothes and the cameras go very close in (as there's only three of them) and the moves they were doing the other day (bending over and putting their bottoms to the camera) were more like lapdancers than cheerleaders.

Technoviking Tue 24-Apr-12 14:52:57

Is it not the same as cheerleaders in other sports, particularly American ones?

niksat Tue 24-Apr-12 14:50:24

am i the only one that thinks that showing young girls in minimal clothing "dancing" nearly every time a 4 is hit during the ITV4 cricket coverage during the day and evening is wrong. it is surely objectifying them and teaching any children (boys and girls alike) that are watching that this is what is expected of girls for them to be "liked". in a way, it's more harmful than lads mags as it is being shown as if it's the norm, whereas a lads mag is specifically targeted.

if anyone else thinks this is a very bad example to youngsters, please email itv on:
viewerservices@itv.com
the more people that raise the issue with them, the more likely they are to take notice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now