Only rehab in the country for pregnant, drug-addicted sex workers being closed due to cuts

(6 Posts)
JuliaScurr Sun 15-Apr-12 12:02:23

Join your local group - ours just went on a march

JuliaScurr Sun 15-Apr-12 12:00:00
mummy23x Sun 25-Mar-12 20:45:04

Surely a petition can be organised....this is ridiculous....you'll find the government are cutting most things like this...selfish bastards, if they were getting a profit out of it they certainly wouldn't cut it!!

GothAnneGeddes Thu 01-Mar-12 22:12:36

There's only one in the country, goodness me, there should be one in every town! There is sadly a lot of call for this kind of service.

WoTmania Sat 11-Feb-12 14:23:19

WTF! i read an artic;e about it recently and was really moved by the work they are doing. How can they close something that works - surely the long-term cost will be far higher

perfectstorm Thu 09-Feb-12 19:58:46

I put this on AIBU last night because I was so upset, and (reasonably enough MN moved it to In The News... which isn't widely read.

I don't really know if anyone here has any campaign experience/contacts/advice to offer. But if any women are victims of patriarchal oppression, I'd say sex workers, especially ones controlled by pimps (apparently many of these are) are. And this is the only unit in the country seeking to help them specifically. I don't know what I'm asking, really - advice I guess. I know there are a lot of terrible stories atm, but this one really hit me hard. It's so nonsensical to remove this support, as well as just wrong in itself. Talk about kicking people who are already down.

Thread on In The News is here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now