Explaining the Lynx ad to my 10-year-old daughter

(12 Posts)
SophRunning Fri 06-Jan-12 18:05:00

The latest Lynx advert has just been on the TV. In it a man prepares for the end of the world by building an ark and watching the women arrive two-by-two to sail off with him. My ten-year-old daughter just turned to me puzzled to ask what it was about. I responded that it was a classic case of advertisers treating women like animals. Now she's looking sad -- caught a glimpse of what's out there -- and I'm boiling with rage. (Particularly when I recall the scene of the empty pole-dancing room awaiting them.) Does anyone else have examples of how to talk about this kind of rubbish with their children? And also: how to stop it or formally complain?

tigana Fri 06-Jan-12 18:09:12

I'd be tempted to minimise the impact by pointing out that Lynx smell like wee, and is worn by spotty pubescent boys....

I say lightly that the advertisers are trying to get said boys to buy lynx by telling them it will get them a girlfriend... but as it smells of wee, and most girls don't find that an attractive smell...it is very silly.

But i am explaining to DS, who is 6. So not getting into the pscho-social side of it all.

tigana Fri 06-Jan-12 18:10:08

Likewise I am not telling him about the whole "twin fantasy" element of it hmm.

lljkk Fri 06-Jan-12 18:20:32

Doesn't that imply the girls will all get off with each other & the lad will be on his own, or just get to watch?
Even I wouldn't share that observation with my 10yo though.

SophRunning Fri 06-Jan-12 18:27:52

Agree, it is deeply silly, and most of these, most of the time, I shrug off. But this time I suddenly saw my girl figuring out what the women were going in there for and what it said about what they're worth (or at least getting the first inkling of what it meant) and feel absolutely livid. And despairing. And that's BEFORE we have the conversation about pole-dancing.
Is it wine o'clock yet?

rubmeup Mon 19-Mar-12 17:05:23

i think your excessive drinking may be a worse example....just a thought

<Offers round the chocolate biscuits>

They are from M&S, I went there for the first time in years at the weekend. Just out of solidarity ifyswim.

Dustinthewind Tue 20-Mar-12 06:35:21

You are right, they are ridiculously sexist adverts and that one is particularly demeaning. But you could point out that he's having to drug them with airborne contaminants to get them to comply.
My DS hates Lynx, he had great fun unpicking the last one for his mates.
'Even Angels will fall' and images of the boy being stalked by lust-filled angels.
So, name an angel.
Michael
Gabriel
Raphael

All male, can you guess where his argument was heading?

wintersnight Tue 20-Mar-12 07:04:33

I don't have any advice but I do sympathise. I think one answer is to use technology (iplayer etc) to avoid adverts as much as possible. I think the less anyone's exposed to them the better.

Dustinthewind Tue 20-Mar-12 07:11:58

We've always used the more interesting ones as a point for debate and analysis, DS didn't understand lying, or sarcasm or all the mindgames that adverts use to get you to buy something, and 30 seconds was a good length to make a point and for him to ask questions.

ANy tips on what to do about the actually-rather-scary one with all the car crashes and explosions?

hedidit Thu 06-Sep-12 11:10:26

The OPs daughter isnt sad because she didnt understand a lynx advert, she is sad because her mum has told her that the world treats women like animals. Hardly a view to hammer into a child of that age. Dont blame the lynx adverts because you are unable to explain to your child in a way that doesnt hurt her feelings. Just say all advertising is aimed at specific people and if men are silly enough to think their deoderant will get them a girlfriend then they are silly. Why hurt her feelings just because you are incensed at the advertising of a product. Being honest is one thing, being brutally honest of your own opinions can be damaging to a child. They should be allowed to come to their own conclusions not have that shite rammed down their throats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now