Fisher price - learning handbag

(8 Posts)
ScaryFairy28 Tue 13-Dec-11 23:20:21

I think this is a bit wrong what does putting lipstick in a toy for a six month old say about our society? Am I the only one to think this is an odd gift to the daughter of a lesbian who isn't in to pink and overly girlie?

NotADudeExactly Wed 14-Dec-11 15:34:43

It's an odd hift for anyone, IMO.

And "learning handbag" - WTF? It's not as though using one is exactly rocket science!

NotADudeExactly Wed 14-Dec-11 15:35:01

Gift, even!

ScaryFairy28 Wed 14-Dec-11 20:36:58

I was a bit confused by it not that I don't let my dd have girly things she has a pink mamas and papas rocking horse that I love but just think its so wrong! Was so sad got it as part of a secret Santa between 8 friends we all know each other pretty well having spent a lot at our maternity leave together and everyone else got such well thought out bundles of gifts and we got THAT!! Guessing I got matched with the girl I know least! Do hope there not reading this!!

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 26-Dec-11 19:57:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lisaro Mon 26-Dec-11 20:03:53

Don't see what difference her being the daughter of a lesbian makes. Or should they be treated differently?

meditrina Mon 26-Dec-11 20:35:26

Here's Argos's description of it. It is perhaps - from the baby's pov -not as bad as it seems, though personally I don't like this genre of electronic 'educational' toys at all (we were given a similar VTech car ages ago).

It is also however an example of adding more gendered toys to the market. Clearly it sells, or a major manufacturer wouldn't bother with it. So yes, it is a question about why a plain shape isn't enough. I put it down to the need for increased sales - one good (wooden) shape sorter, and one good quality activity centre would last several children of either sex. Gendering is a good way (potentially) to double sales.

TransatlanticCityGirl Sat 12-May-12 23:21:35

I love how the descriptions says the handbag encourages smiling. This is an important life skill for us women.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now