Victims of Violence

(511 Posts)
Treats Tue 19-Oct-10 12:57:05

So - this is the first thread I've started within the Feminism section, but I'm a long-time lurker and occasional poster.

I've been motivated to start a thread by this story from last week, and then also by this both in the last few days. (There was another one too but i can't find the link at the moment).

Every few weeks, it seems to me from reading the newspapers, a woman is killed by her husband or lover. Sometimes her children are harmed too.

My DH would like to argue that every single murder is an isolated incident, and caused entirely by factors only relevant to that one man. I argue that these cases are manifestations of misogyny, and that these are not isolated examples, but are all linked. He finds this an uncomfortable point of view, because of what it suggests about him, about us, about our friends.

I think that misogyny is similar to an epidemic - say, swine flu. It's infectious. It affects a significant proportion of the population, but not all. Of those affected, only a minority are severely affected. But it can be fatal - not for the sufferer, but for those close to them.

I don't know how many others here agree with me, but I do see a number of posts from some people who most definitely wouldn't. So the thread I want to start is to collect examples of victims of misogynist violence - women who were killed because they subverted their husbands and boyfriends desire to control them. I want people who visit this board with doubts about why feminism is necessary and justified to read my thread with its examples of victims and to start joining the dots for themselves.

Those posters who think that misandry is equivalent to misogyny are free to post their examples too (of women killing men).

If this thread (or something like it) already exists, then please point me to it and I will post there.

Nathfr Sun 08-May-16 21:42:32

Hi all & Zhxr, I have signed & tweeted the stalker register.
Reminding me how shocking it all is. Forgot for a while. Take care N

Zhx3 Sun 17-Apr-16 13:11:35

Petition to create a stalkers's register.

www.change.org/p/rt-hon-theresa-may-mp-create-a-stalker-s-register

BarefootAcrossHotLegoPieces Sun 06-Mar-16 11:53:19

Hopefully this pregnant woman will make it, her Dd has been saved:

www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/35736983?client=safari#

BarefootAcrossHotLegoPieces Sat 05-Mar-16 08:28:43

Thanks Palmer

PalmerViolet Thu 04-Feb-16 21:04:46

Katelyn Parker

So sorry to hear that Margaret.

TheDowagerCuntess Wed 03-Feb-16 08:18:30

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

No - hell hath no fury like a man scorned. Or rejected. Or made angry. Or annoyed. Or wound up.

Sophie Elliot was stabbed by her ex 216 times and then disfigured. In her bedroom, while her mother was forced to listen from the outside, unable to do anything.

MsMargaretCarter Wed 03-Feb-16 08:05:58

I knew Guida, though hadn't seen her in a few years. I can't believe this has happened to the vibrant woman I knew. I hate that this now defines her life, if you know what I mean. Thank you for keeping up with this thread.

PalmerViolet Wed 03-Feb-16 08:01:32

Geraldine Newman and children.

PalmerViolet Wed 03-Feb-16 07:56:43

DM article, sorry

Guida Rufino

YonicScrewdriver Fri 11-Sep-15 09:20:31

Around 690 women (and around 2,100 men) on 9/11, victims of 19 violent men.

RIP flowers

YonicScrewdriver Tue 01-Sep-15 09:13:32

Natalia strelchenko (Strelle) - died of head injuries, her husband is being questioned on suspicion of murder. RIP.

JustTheRightBullets Thu 30-Jul-15 13:50:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeyondTheWall Thu 30-Jul-15 13:46:42

And

Bobbie Stokoe

Killed before this thread started, but was a friend of mine from school

BeyondTheWall Thu 30-Jul-15 13:44:10

Its not new, but cant see it on the thread

Jessica Watkins

A friend of my sister, stabbed 27 times by her boyfriend.

BakingCookiesAndShit Thu 30-Jul-15 13:31:46

Majella Lynch

Killed in an horrendous way by a man she invited into her home.

Massive Trigger Warning

YonicScrewdriver Tue 07-Jul-15 15:22:17

RIP Jennifer Williams

Her family believe an ex-boyfriend is responsible for her death.

flowers

blueBooby Fri 12-Jun-15 15:40:35

Phyllis Hayes. Her son has been arrested.

Rip.

YonicScrewdriver Mon 25-May-15 06:06:32

sad Bertie

BertieBotts Sun 24-May-15 22:15:29

Janet Jordon, six year old daughter Derin Jordon and Janet's partner. Murdered by her older son. RIP.

YonicScrewdriver Wed 13-May-15 21:55:43

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32722891

A mother and her twin daughters have been found dead at a house in east London, police have said.
The 37-year-old and two girls aged 13 were found at a property in Grove Road, Chadwell Heath at 13:10 BST on Tuesday.
Shigi Rethishkumar and sisters Niya and Neha, all named locally, had not been seen since Sunday.
Their father, Rethishkumar Pullarkattil, 44, who was missing from the address, was found hanging at Woodford Reservoir in Walthamstow.

YonicScrewdriver Tue 31-Mar-15 07:17:35

Shirley Souza, pregnant and strangled by her boyfriend (in Brazil)

YonicSleighdriver Fri 12-Dec-14 19:25:29

Erica Perez, in LA, whose ex husband is a person of Interest in her homicide and who then kidnapped their four sons (now safely found)

RIP flowers

YonicScrewdriver Sat 15-Nov-14 17:59:52

Deborah Ruse, 39, killed by her husband Oliver
after their separation.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2833999/Police-investigate-body-woman-discovered-house-Suffolk-village-hours-man-dead-car-park.html

RIP flowers

YonicScrewdriver Fri 07-Nov-14 22:34:36

Cerys Marie Yemm, killed by Matthew Williams who was released after serving half his sentence for assault of a previous girlfriend.

RIP flowers

YonicScrewdriver Sun 12-Oct-14 23:50:08

As yet unnamed woman and two kids -
RIP
m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-29591058

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now