Victims of Violence

(384 Posts)
Treats Tue 19-Oct-10 12:57:05

So - this is the first thread I've started within the Feminism section, but I'm a long-time lurker and occasional poster.

I've been motivated to start a thread by this story from last week, and then also by this both in the last few days. (There was another one too but i can't find the link at the moment).

Every few weeks, it seems to me from reading the newspapers, a woman is killed by her husband or lover. Sometimes her children are harmed too.

My DH would like to argue that every single murder is an isolated incident, and caused entirely by factors only relevant to that one man. I argue that these cases are manifestations of misogyny, and that these are not isolated examples, but are all linked. He finds this an uncomfortable point of view, because of what it suggests about him, about us, about our friends.

I think that misogyny is similar to an epidemic - say, swine flu. It's infectious. It affects a significant proportion of the population, but not all. Of those affected, only a minority are severely affected. But it can be fatal - not for the sufferer, but for those close to them.

I don't know how many others here agree with me, but I do see a number of posts from some people who most definitely wouldn't. So the thread I want to start is to collect examples of victims of misogynist violence - women who were killed because they subverted their husbands and boyfriends desire to control them. I want people who visit this board with doubts about why feminism is necessary and justified to read my thread with its examples of victims and to start joining the dots for themselves.

Those posters who think that misandry is equivalent to misogyny are free to post their examples too (of women killing men).

If this thread (or something like it) already exists, then please point me to it and I will post there.

link

Good article in the Guardian today Karen, shame about some of the commenters...

GarthsUncle Sat 08-Mar-14 00:20:00

I know she's named upthread but with the trial ongoing, Reeva Steenkamp

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 17-Mar-14 20:54:05

Jayden Parkinson, aged 17, killed by her ex boyfriend

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26609932

GotMyGoat Mon 17-Mar-14 21:03:50

My housemates mother was killed by her husband 10 years ago, justice has still not been done due to lack of evidence. Long history of domestic violence and abuse...

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 17-Mar-14 21:07:25

So sorry, GotMy.

GotMyGoat Mon 17-Mar-14 21:09:41

She is still fighting - unfortunately their children were all traumatised by years of abuse, and so didn't tell police the whole truth in their statements which means police haven't been keen to be as helpful as they might be - over such a long time you forgot that their really is institutional misogyny and racism but it is still there.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 17-Mar-14 21:12:17

If it would help to post her name here, please do flowers

GotMyGoat Mon 17-Mar-14 21:18:31

Chamlong Allen - we will continue to fight for justice for you and your beautiful daughters.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 17-Mar-14 21:27:19

She looks like a lovely friendly person.

RIP Chamlong Allen flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now