Victims of Violence

(483 Posts)
Treats Tue 19-Oct-10 12:57:05

So - this is the first thread I've started within the Feminism section, but I'm a long-time lurker and occasional poster.

I've been motivated to start a thread by this story from last week, and then also by this both in the last few days. (There was another one too but i can't find the link at the moment).

Every few weeks, it seems to me from reading the newspapers, a woman is killed by her husband or lover. Sometimes her children are harmed too.

My DH would like to argue that every single murder is an isolated incident, and caused entirely by factors only relevant to that one man. I argue that these cases are manifestations of misogyny, and that these are not isolated examples, but are all linked. He finds this an uncomfortable point of view, because of what it suggests about him, about us, about our friends.

I think that misogyny is similar to an epidemic - say, swine flu. It's infectious. It affects a significant proportion of the population, but not all. Of those affected, only a minority are severely affected. But it can be fatal - not for the sufferer, but for those close to them.

I don't know how many others here agree with me, but I do see a number of posts from some people who most definitely wouldn't. So the thread I want to start is to collect examples of victims of misogynist violence - women who were killed because they subverted their husbands and boyfriends desire to control them. I want people who visit this board with doubts about why feminism is necessary and justified to read my thread with its examples of victims and to start joining the dots for themselves.

Those posters who think that misandry is equivalent to misogyny are free to post their examples too (of women killing men).

If this thread (or something like it) already exists, then please point me to it and I will post there.

LeninGhoul Tue 19-Oct-10 13:16:02

What always struck me about family annihilators is how they used to be portrayed as some kind of noble, tortured person full of love who just couldn't bear it all going wrong for his family so killed them all. I think this angle has changed a bit recently.

Best I ever read on this was a tweet that said if you feel the urge to annihilate your family do everyone a favour and start with yourself first.

EvilAntsAndMiasmas Tue 19-Oct-10 16:01:41

Excellent idea for a thread - there is a site that collates victims of murder by their husbands/partners/exes but it's never very up to date.

Amanda Sorrell is the latest from my area.

How about we post a link, and then add the name to a running list?

Jane Clough

Unnamed 23 year old, Bradford.

Amanda Sorrell

Treats Tue 19-Oct-10 16:11:28

And this - just on the radio this afternoon. "No one was to blame" apparently. Some of these women are victims twice - first by the men who killed them and then by the officials who fail to investigate or sentence properly.

Jane Clough

Amanda Sorrell

Arsema Darwit

EvilAntsAndMiasmas Tue 19-Oct-10 16:27:17

This was on the news earlier in the week. I'm going to a workshop called "Violence against women as hate crime?" at the Feminism conference this weekend - will report back (info about halfway down)

Jane Clough

Amanda Sorrell

Arsema Darwit

Asha Muneer

scallopsrgreat Wed 20-Oct-10 15:18:59

This was reported yesterday although the murder happened a few weeks ago.

Jane Clough

Amanda Sorrell

Arsema Darwit

Asha Muneer

Geeta Aulakh

msrisotto Wed 20-Oct-10 17:57:15

According to the fawcett society, a woman a week is killed by her ex/partner. Hell of a coincidence isn't it that men simply aren't killed by their ex/spouses.

vesuvia Wed 20-Oct-10 20:50:09

According to The House of Commons Library Domestic violence statistics Standard Note: SN/SG/950 Last updated: 10th March 2010,

"Between 1995 and 2009, 47 per cent of the 3,249 murdered women and 12 per cent of the 6,806 murdered men, were killed by a partner or ex-partner."

I calculate that to be an average of 2 women and 1 man murdered each week in the UK by their partner or ex-partner.

The sex of the murderer is not given in the report.

EvilAntsAndMiasmas Wed 27-Oct-10 15:43:10

Another one here

Jane Clough

Amanda Sorrell

Arsema Darwit

Asha Muneer

Geeta Aulakh

Patricia Bardon

Treats Thu 28-Oct-10 16:15:24

Thanks EvilAnts. At least bail was refused this time - too much to hope that the judge might have learned something from the Jane Clough case though.

They're not releasing too much information on this case yet, but it seems likely that we'll be adding Rebecca Aylward to our list in the future. She was so young sad

PosieComeHereMyPreciousParker Thu 28-Oct-10 16:21:53

As I mentioned on another thread a really good friend of mine is a fellow (as in ship) psychiatrist and she came round last night for drinks. She gets involved in DV cases due to the anxiety suffered by women and getting court orders and so on. She says that a few areas in Bristol breed DV and violence generally. She also has a woman who is so anxious that her exh will kill her that she can't be properly diagnosed as she can't speak coherently, she spends the whole session pacing up and down and looking out of the window. There's no cash to rehouse her miles away, apparently. If these men were threatening their bosses like they have their wives or gfs they would be locked up, no?

I have just delivered cake to a local project who help women escape from DV!! (thanks to the Bristol Feminist Network).

Treats Thu 28-Oct-10 16:53:25

Of course they would Posie. sad Can't believe that women living with the threat of violence aren't re-housed as a matter of priority.

(BTW - what does "as in ship" mean?)

EvilAntsAndMiasmas Thu 28-Oct-10 17:13:41

maybe a psychiatry fellow? as in academic?

PosieComeHereMyPreciousParker Thu 28-Oct-10 17:14:07

fellowship....as opposed to jolly good fellow!!

PosieComeHereMyPreciousParker Thu 28-Oct-10 17:14:40

Yay! Evil

EvilAntsAndMiasmas Thu 28-Oct-10 17:18:03

It took me a minute but I got there (after initial "I didn't know Posie lived on a ship" revelation)

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 04-Nov-10 18:15:41

Looks like another one here although they haven't found her yet.

Jane Clough

Amanda Sorrell

Arsema Darwit

Asha Muneer

Geeta Aulakh

Patricia Bardon

Joanna Brown

Treats Sat 06-Nov-10 00:59:58

They've just found a body in the Joanna Brown investigation.......

No lives lost here but I'm posting it because the victims were so young and because of the systematic way that they were abused.

Jane Clough

Amanda Sorrell

Arsema Darwit

Asha Muneer

Geeta Aulakh

Patricia Bardon

Joanna Brown

Unidentified teenagers, Rotherham

dittany Sat 06-Nov-10 12:43:17

Zahra Baker. A ten year old girl who was put in the custody of her father because her mother supposedly suffered from PND. He then took her from her home in Australia to the US. She survived bone cancer but lost her leg. Her mother had just tracked her down on the internet to get in contact when she was reported missing. Her stepmother is in prison for faking a kidnap note and her father is in prison on other charges.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1326341/Zahra-Bak ers-father-did-kinda-horrifying-childs-body.html?i to=feeds-newsxml

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Sat 06-Nov-10 12:50:59

treats, I think this is a wonderful idea for a thread, but without links, will people (I mean, doubters with a huge invested interest in denying that the phenomenon exists) bother to google these women?

dittany Sat 06-Nov-10 12:57:23

It would be easier to follow the thread actually if each victim had one post, saying who she was and what happened to her (maybe bold the victim's name and age) rather than creating a running list in each post. The thread itself could work as the running list.

dittany Sat 06-Nov-10 13:03:49

It's a very good idea for a thread BTW, should have added that.

LadyBlaBlah Sat 06-Nov-10 13:19:06

And also those who got away with nearly killing their partners. See this 'man' regularly around here.

menmedia.co.uk/stockportexpress/news/s/1081870_med ia_boss_who_beat__up_woman_in_street_attack_escape s_prison_

ElephantsAndMiasmas Sat 06-Nov-10 17:27:38

can't believe that guy got a suspended sentence - is there any excuse for that?

LadyBlaBlah Sat 06-Nov-10 18:16:34

It's a disgrace but unfortunately as we all know, not unusual.

He nearly killed her. She was in intensive care for over a week.

DuelingFanjo Sat 06-Nov-10 18:24:05

"My DH would like to argue that every single murder is an isolated incident, and caused entirely by factors only relevant to that one man"

I tend to agree with your husband in that I don't think that this is a man thing and that all men are capable of this kind of thing. Though maybe I am not understanding you completely?

I too am struck by what seems to be an increase in these kinds of killings/attacks, specifically those where children are harmed or where women are killed/hurt because they have escaped an already abusive situation.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Sun 07-Nov-10 12:32:18

DF - I don't want to speak for the OP, but my interpretation of her post was not that "all men are capable of it". More that there is a pattern of many men who do think it's ok to kill the women with whom they are or have been in a relationship. It needs to stop, and it obviously isn't stopping. There is a pattern and it's dangerous for all of us.

When a lot of teenagers in London started stabbing each other to death, for instance, there were a lot of questions asked about why this was happening, how worrying it was etc. No-one suggested that all teenagers were cold-blooded killers. It's similar here, except the violence is predominantly from one section of the population (men). Cases like the one above show how lightly men who beat up their wives can be treated - a suspended sentence for beating someone until they fall unconscious? It's clear to see how that kind of sentencing gives that particular man, and others reading and hearing about him, a message that your wife is yours and if you want to hurt her or nearly kill her - or perhaps actually kill her because it's all up to chance at that point - you will not be punished.

It is as if the fact that the nearly dead woman was his wife was counted in his favour - well you beat up a woman but she was your wife so that's not as bad. In my view it is worse.

And most incidents of wife-killing are preceded by years of domestic violence and controlling behaviour. Hardly anyone "just snaps" - it is the culmination of years of abuse in most cases.

MrsClown Sun 07-Nov-10 13:29:46

Dont know how to put links in etc but has anyone ever heard of Tracey Thurman in US. All I have to say is OMG.

notjustapotforsoup Mon 08-Nov-10 10:07:27

The parents of Jane Clough are being interviewed on Victoria Derbyshire's programme on 5Live right now. link to listen in top right

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 10-Nov-10 23:06:22

Janet Norton was beaten to death by her husband while he was facing charges of sexual assault against a child. "Preston Crown Court was told he killed his wife because he could not bear the shame his offences would cause her, but lacked the courage to kill himself."

Treats Thu 11-Nov-10 12:54:58

I came on to post about Janet Norton but see that Elephants has got there first. Utterly shock and angry that he defended himself on the grounds that he was trying to spare HER the shame that HIS actions caused.......

Also Banaz Mahmood. This story has been in the news for a few years but some family members have finally been jailed.

Just to clarify my OP. I think that many of these cases are linked by the fact that controlling men feel justified in taking revenge on women who evade their control. The Jane Clough case which prompted this thread is absolutely typical. I absolutely don't believe that all men think this way, nor do I think that it's symptomatic of a wider misogynist culture (although some might say it is). But I DO think that some men share a mindset that women should be controlled and that this is what leads to acts of such violence. This is why I think it's possible to liken it to an epidemic of a serious illness. It doesn't affect all men, but amongst those that do hold this view it occasionally gets taken to extremes. In starting this thread, I just wanted to link together the cases I found to show that there was a pattern of this attitude occurring time and again.

Dittany - to answer your point - I think we have included links to all the cases so far, haven't we?

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 11-Nov-10 13:05:06

Yeah we are linking as we go, but I will link from the name from now on (as in the last two posts).

notjustapotforsoup Fri 12-Nov-10 01:13:02

Karen Brookes Another man let out on bail for previous violence towards his ex partner and told to stay away from her.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 12-Nov-10 01:51:01

notjust. Another one.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 23-Nov-10 02:27:18

Penny Taylor who was pregnant with her third child when her ex-partner came round and stabbed her to death.

darleneconnor Tue 23-Nov-10 12:38:33

I read that the average sentence a man gets for murdering his ex/partner is 4 years!

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 23-Nov-10 12:50:26

Jackie Evans from the news today.

Darlene - that doesn't really surprise me. Although Pennny Taylor's killer was given a life sentence apparently. Presumably because being a poor, black, drug-taking ex-con he doesn't live up to the "but he's such a nice chap, it was just a misunderstanding!" excuses so often made for these bastards.

scallopsrgreat Thu 25-Nov-10 13:39:58

Stephanie Bellinger. He also killed their 10 month old daughter but left their son locked up in the house by himself for 30 hrs until his grandmother rescued him sad

Treats Thu 25-Nov-10 16:09:51

Interesting postscript to the Karen Brookes case on the linked report, and repeats what a judge who phoned into 5Live when Jane Clough's parents were interviewed on there a few weeks ago. He said that you can't hold people in custody just because they've been charged with a crime - there's no evidence that they're guilty yet. Bail will always be granted unless there's a really very good reason not to. On many occasions, the case as it is presented to the judge does not appear serious enough to warrant taking the very serious step of depriving someone of their liberty.

I get the impression that sometimes it's not just the judge making a foolish decision but police/ CPS etc., not making a convincing enough case for the accused to be detained.

Anyway - it was an interesting perspective from the judge's point of view and I was pleased that he called in to the show.

Treats Thu 25-Nov-10 16:11:50

Did anyone see {{http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/1091338-Am-in- shock-My-friend-murdered-his-girlfriend this]] thread in Chat? Very very sad. And shows how devastating these crimes can be - not just for the victim and their family, but for everyone who knew the couple.

Treats Thu 25-Nov-10 16:18:25

Bugger - I meant this thread. Sorry!

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 26-Nov-10 01:58:21

this man didn't succeed in murdering his ex-girlfriend, but gave it a bloody good go. And then tried to coerce her into sex (rape) afterwards shock

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 26-Nov-10 02:01:18

June Jumaily (am presuming surname is same as her daughter) killed by her estranged husband.

scallopsrgreat Tue 30-Nov-10 16:37:59

Ann Geddes killed by her husband who pleaded diminished responsiblity and was found guilty of culpable homicide. Angela Geddes their daughter claimed her father was "a controlling and violent man who was never going to let his wife leave him."

alexpolismum Tue 07-Dec-10 15:30:39

Anni Dewani her husband allegedly arranged to have her killed

Treats Fri 10-Dec-10 09:55:34

Maria Stubbings Another glaring example of police failure.

gorionine Fri 10-Dec-10 10:16:25

Uzma Arshad This happened very close to where I live and really shocked me on many levels.

Another young mum was murdered by her DP in my village a few years back, while their DD was at a sleepover. I have no idea what her name was but I often think about her and her DD.sad

Sakura Fri 10-Dec-10 11:33:09

Kumiko Okumoto, 24, her 5-month-old son, Yuto, and her mother, Takako Ikegami

Down the road from my house, a ten minute walk. I though it happened last month because I remember hearing the police drive past the house, as though it was yesterday

He is sentenced to hanging

My mind can't comprehend this thread. I mean I can't get my head around it.
I keep feeling so very sad for the mother who had her 10 year old daughter taken off her because she supposedly had PND. Since when did we start taking kids away from mothers because they have PND. WHen is society going to start helping women with PND, give them the practical and emotional support they need.

notjustapotforsoup Tue 14-Dec-10 10:26:30
ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 14-Dec-10 11:06:12

Oh Sakura - what a horrible thing to happen. Or rather, for him to do.

I came on to post that last one, notjust. Sounds like he tried to get the other two children as well. BBC version

I do think it's important to keep up this thread. It always seems like these stories just keep coming. And you write them down, and find they really do

notjustapotforsoup Tue 14-Dec-10 11:22:51

And some people wonder why extreme caution is given on the Relationship threads when men display worrying behaviour....... These women are just like you or me or our mothers, sisters and friends.

arudolf Fri 17-Dec-10 09:50:00

this is such a horrific thread - not meaning it should be pulled, just the sheer number of deaths is horrific . I've just seen another on - Sally Cox and her son, suspected to have been murdered by her ex-partner

ElfPantsAtMidnightMass Fri 17-Dec-10 12:35:10

I know arudolf. And I feel like no-one is keeping track of them properly. Sounds like the one you posted is the same as the one that notjust & I posted links to above - they've been named now then.

There are two on the BBC front page this morning, both in Shropshire. This article names one of the women as Jill Nevitt.

StoodAProleyCattleShed Sat 18-Dec-10 11:04:50

I thought of this thread when I saw in the news that the LAPD has published photographs of 160 women found in the home of a man who has already been charged with the murder of 10 women. I don't know their names

ElfPantsAtMidnightMass Sat 18-Dec-10 21:10:41

I hadn't heard about that Proles - have you got a link?

StoodAProleyCattleShed Sat 18-Dec-10 22:28:46

here

It's heartbreaking to read this thread

hellymelly Sat 18-Dec-10 22:35:11

this was on a friends facebook page recently.He thought it was really funny.It wasn't sent to me so I haven't responded yet,I'm lost for words tbh. www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXy1iiQgOAM

StoodAProleyCattleShed Sat 18-Dec-10 22:42:06

I'm at a loss as to why anyone would find that funny tbh, I mean why?!

Re: the news report I linked to, it bloody sickens me that the killer gets glamourized in reports like this (even in a 'quality' paper like the guardian).

hellymelly Sat 18-Dec-10 22:56:41

I was equally shocked by the fact that some of his friends found it so funny that they had to watch it all over again.

StoodAProleyCattleShed Sat 18-Dec-10 23:00:28

confused

I don't get the joke <humourless feminazi>

dittany Sun 19-Dec-10 10:03:17

Some men think the idea of killing women is funny. Women remind those kind of men that they are worthless assholes (see guy in vid) so they need to be eliminated.

Helly, I'd rethink your friendship if I was you, with any men who are laughing at that, because they hate women and they aren't hiding it very well.

notjustapotforsoup Sun 19-Dec-10 11:52:43
hellymelly Sun 19-Dec-10 22:58:23

He is a gay guy,has always seemed really woman friendly,so I was honestly shocked to see that on his profile.Crap isn't it.

Treats Wed 22-Dec-10 09:48:05

Oh good god - I've just been reading the details of this case on the train into work this morning. Feel utterly sick and wretched. Don't read it if you're easily distressed.

Susan Rushworth
Suzanne Blamires
Shelley Armitage

Susan Rushworth had three children including a ten year old son.

The report in the Times made a specific reference to his controlling behaviour with former girlfriends:

"Every relationship he embarked upon with a woman ended unhappily. Girlfriends initially warmed to a man who seemed shy and polite. He had a sharp sense of humour and could be charming. All too soon, each found herself in the hands of someone who wanted to dominate her, utterly."

One girlfriend described her experience:

"He allegedly punched and headbuttd her, once breaking her nose for having the temerity to talk to another man. She was not allowed to leave the flat without him and in public he insisted on holding her hand "in a tight grip"."

The report suggests that he was probably a psychopath:

"To such a person, the only function of Susan Rushworth, Shelley Armitage and Suzanne Blamires was to satisfy his pathological desire to possess and then eradicate them. The act of c*********m was his ultimate power trip."

(My stars - I've blocked out that word in case you haven't read about the case and don't want to know any more.)

This differs from some of the cases that we've highlighted because this man's victims weren't already in a relationship with him, but it seems to me as if the controlling behaviour he showed with former girlfriends was escalated by his psychopathy until he was just appallingly dangerous to women.

There's a lot of speculation in the report about why such a dangerous man was unmonitored by mental health services. To me, it seems that it stems from the same failings that we've seen from the police and the courts - that controlling behaviour towards women falls into the boundaries of 'normal' behaviour and doesn't raise alarm bells.

Treats Wed 22-Dec-10 09:52:14

Just been catching up with the rest of this thread after my earlier post and am really shocked to see how many more examples have been posted just in the last few weeks......

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 10-Jan-11 00:41:05

Wendy Adlard, few details available as yet.

BelleDameSansMerci Mon 17-Jan-11 14:19:07

Laura Smith last July but court result here. The verdict was murder.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 21-Jan-11 01:00:16

Susan Smith from East Dunbartonshire, alleged to have been strangled by her husband, Jack Smith.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 27-Jan-11 17:31:19

Julie Ann Fenton, stabbed to death by her partner David Paul Jones last July.

The BBC reported that "The Crown Prosecution Service said Jones had a history of mistreating woman with whom he had previous relationships".

He was sentenced to life, to serve a minimum of 17 years.

Prolesworth Sun 06-Feb-11 18:10:35

Message withdrawn

dittany Tue 08-Feb-11 17:27:34

Aasiya Zubair Hassan murdered by her husband because she tried to divorce him after a brutal abusive marriage. He also attempted to blacken her name during the trial.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 10-Feb-11 20:14:09

Joanne Oliver killed by her abusive husband Brian Oliver aged just 32. According to the BBC: 'Their relationship was described as "volatile", with Oliver being "possessive and controlling". Oliver told a park workman that his wife had 'cheated on him' The court was also told Oliver would "drink excessively" and was sometimes violent to Mrs Oliver. They were in the process of breaking up and had been living apart, prosecutor Graham Wood QC said."

Another violent man killing his wife as she tries to leave

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 10-Feb-11 20:16:32

Also Toni Rudman, 24, who was beaten and kicked to death by Ryan Backhouse, a complete stranger, after he was dumped by his girlfriend.

Any woman would do for this guy it seems.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 10-Feb-11 20:21:24

God dittany I just read the one you posted shock

"In handing up its guilty verdict, the jury also repudiated the claims of Hassan, 46, that he Ô not his wife -- was the victim of battered spouse syndrome." - one of those guys eh?

And this: "[The killer] also said the judge, prosecutors, police officers and medical professionals who testified against him did so based on their preconceived notion that only women can be abuse victims. In closing arguments, he referred to their adherence to a "religion of patriarchy.""

Isn't it funny how the people who hate and despise feminism never turn out to be the good guys?

Naimo Moalin

Only in the country a couple of days and refused him sex.

Susie Beaney/Smith

She suffered domestic abuse prior to being killed by him. He got manslaughter.

Margaret Kibuuka

She had started divorce proceedings (so yet another one trying to leave). He drugged the children before killing her and then tried to kill himself.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 10-Feb-11 21:02:57

All these women

Do you notice how nearly all - or is it all - of these women had suffered domestic violence for years, or throughout their relationships? So much for "he just snapped".

Yes it is definitely a recurrent theme. That's why I can't understand Susie Smith's killer only being found guilty for manslaughter.

Rhadegunde Thu 10-Feb-11 21:13:36

Lien Li Angelis

Her husband has been convicted of her murder and given a life sentence.

www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2011/02/10/ottawa-a ngelis-sentence-life.html

All these women though. sad

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 10-Feb-11 22:05:55

Claire Webster allegedly killed by her husband to enable him to claim on her insurance. He is also accused of attempting to murder his second wife, Felicity Drumm.

Rhadegunde Fri 11-Feb-11 14:19:18

Two beautiful babies killed by their father to punish their mother:

Alessia and Livia

www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/02/11/swiss-father-twi ns-missing-letter.html

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 11-Feb-11 16:32:28

That is horrendous, Rhad

Amrit Kaur Ubhi, killed by her father Gurmeet Singh Ubhi for having a Western boyfriend. This gives more details on the case, incluing the fact that the killer's second marriage broke down after he attacked his wife with a chisel.

Amrit's brother "said a few months before Amrit's death his father told him: 'I have reached my limit and I will kill one of them if needs be if they push me too far.'

"He was talking about my mother and my sister."

Rhadegunde Tue 15-Feb-11 12:20:40

Joy Small killed yesterday by her husband. He also killed their children: Aubarr Aziz and Chanarra.

Marie Stewart - fiance charged with her murder. Found in a suitcase after being missing for two months.

Rhadegunde - that's awful. All the children killed as well as well as the women.

mdavza Sat 19-Feb-11 12:34:22

And now Marie Stewart's fiance claims he was 'provoked' into killing her? Please tell me this is not a serious defence?

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 25-Feb-11 00:15:59

Corby Craze killed by a man she had just met at the pub, who then set the house on fire with her in it.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 25-Feb-11 00:17:35

Lucy Landry stabbed by her estranged husband and left to die while he went to deliver money to his mistress. He claimed provocation on the basis that she was also in another relationship, a justification disregarded by the court by the sound of it.

mdavza Mon 28-Feb-11 19:33:29

Just wondered if we shouldn't make this a Twitter thread as well?

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 28-Feb-11 22:19:46

I don't know what that means <dunce>

Treats Wed 02-Mar-11 12:27:43

Gabrielle Grady. Apparently her mother was 'warned' by her father....... Evil.

dittany Thu 03-Mar-11 19:29:30

I've just heard that story on the news Treats. He murders his five year old daughter to get back at his wife? Why can't these fuckers just kill themselves? - they always have to attack children too.

Quodlibet Fri 04-Mar-11 11:05:31

More UK citizens are killed every year by their violent male partners than are killed in Iraq/Afghanistan:

Women killed by a partner - average 104 a year according to Women's Aid

Men killed in 2010 in Operation Enduring Freedom (Iraq and Afghanistan) - 103.

I appreciate that there's a massive difference between those two sets of circumstances, but it feels like these female deaths barely register on the public consciousness in comparison to soldiers. And they weren't even in the line of fire.

I agree with you OP - I think violence is contagious.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 04-Mar-11 11:27:45

A woman from Halesowen, named locally as Margaret Wathen who was strangled on Wednesday night.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 04-Mar-11 11:30:22

Zoe Nelson who was 17, alleged to have been killed by her ex-boyfriend Robert Bane.

BingBongSong Tue 15-Mar-11 11:46:29

Lisa Whyte, whose ex-fiancee stabbed her in the neck.

He has been jailed for at least 10 years. The court heard he was trying to kill himself after she called off the wedding, when she got in the way.

Jeez, this is an upsetting thread.
Really worth doing, though.

These are the dramatic deaths. I wonder how many are indirectly killed by spouses/boyfriends/exes etc.?

Example: a dear friend's sister died of alcoholism. She became an alcoholic when in an abusive relationship and never managed to put it behind her.

That man was indirectly responsible for her death. And I bet the example I've given isn't uncommon. I bet there are thousands of woman driven to drink/drugs/suicide because of abusive treatment from a man they thought they loved.

sad

So many lives ruined. Bastards.

mdavza Wed 16-Mar-11 20:09:17

Jia Ashton, murdered in Derbyshire by a male suspect.

Nicola Holden, murdered by her husband last week just down the road from me.

Apparently they were having some 'marital difficulties' which, as everyone knows, makes it perfectly understandable when your husband decides to strangle you. Just couldn't help it, you know?

dittany Sat 19-Mar-11 12:05:48

Darcey Phillips, a four year old girl who was thrown off a bridge in Melbourne (at a famous suicide spot) by her father in 2009.

sakura Sat 19-Mar-11 12:10:47

I bet the mother knew he was a nutcase but the courts forced her to let him have contact

Oh god, dittany that is horrendous. The complete arsewipe fucker! (I can't actually think of word strong enough to describe him). How can anyone do something like that? It is out of my realms of understanding it really is.

sakura Sat 19-Mar-11 12:32:37

I'm so angry that patriarchies force women to let fathers look after their children. they're not the father's children, they're the mother's children. INcidences like this drive the difference between mothers and fathers home. men don't carry babies, they don't give birth to them. In many cases, they are emotionally detatched.

sakura Sat 19-Mar-11 12:35:01

I'm fed up of societies giving men the benefit of the doubt, I really am. these are not bizarre incidences. they're practically the norm. It doesn't take much for men to be granted the "good father" stamp of approval, and this is why

AyeRobot Sat 19-Mar-11 15:09:45
mdavza Sat 19-Mar-11 20:11:13

All this is sad
Here in Scotland domestic violence peaks after big football matches.

mdavza Sun 27-Mar-11 13:17:09

bump

dittany Sun 27-Mar-11 19:35:09

Sian O'Callaghan murdered at 22.

mdavza Tue 29-Mar-11 20:00:34

Tracey and Louise Donnelly. Just shocking. See [[www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-12892416 here]

mdavza Tue 29-Mar-11 20:01:00

The poor little lad. I'm guessing that was his mum and gran.
sad

AyeRobot Tue 05-Apr-11 13:48:15
vesuvia Tue 05-Apr-11 16:13:03

This sad thread of violence and tragedy sends shivers down my spine every time I see that it has been updated.

Treats Tue 05-Apr-11 16:26:50

Paula Fields and Melissa Halstead And they're trying to trace three other women that he was in a relationship with.

They've also named the other victim in the Sian O'Callaghan case Becky Godden Edwards

Treats Tue 05-Apr-11 16:27:26

Sorry AyeRobot - I didn't see that you'd already posted that.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 08-Apr-11 01:37:21

Not sure if anyone else has posted about Diana Garbutt

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 08-Apr-11 01:39:42

And an as yet unnamed 55 year old woman from Turton, stabbed to death.

AyeRobot Tue 12-Apr-11 16:07:30
AyeRobot Tue 19-Apr-11 14:23:22

Robin Garbutt has just been found guilty, E&M.

As yet unnamed woman in Southampton

Prolesworth Wed 20-Apr-11 22:31:23

Message withdrawn

AyeRobot Sun 01-May-11 09:42:59

Three as yet unnamed women in separate incidents.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-13248943

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-13247867

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-13248016

And the woman in Southampton was Anita Bawtree and her partner has been charged with her murder.

Treats, if you are still looking at this thread, have you shown it to your DH? Would love to know his thoughts. I wish this thread wasn't necessary, but I am so glad that you started it.

AyeRobot Sun 01-May-11 21:59:31

FFS, another one. RIP Kelsey Marie Shaw She was only 17 and leaves a 3 year old daughter.

I say again, it's because of cases like this that unpalatable-to-some advice is given on the Relationships board. Perhaps this thread should be linked on there when ever there is a cry of "ffs, why does everyone always cry out 'leave him'?

AyeRobot Wed 04-May-11 09:10:53

Lianne Burns. Looks like her boyfriend/flatmate has been arrested.

GypsyMoth Wed 04-May-11 14:25:40

aAyerobot....that first link was Chrissy Peters,mum of 6 from Bedford

Prolesworth Mon 09-May-11 17:03:19

Message withdrawn

Joanna Yeates. She wasn't killed by her partner but she knew her killer and he lived in the same building (next door flat).

Prolesworth Thu 12-May-11 23:51:44

Message withdrawn

JemAndTheHolograms Fri 13-May-11 20:12:33

Kelsey Shaw She was a friend of my DSD. sad

AyeRobot Tue 17-May-11 19:49:43
AyeRobot Tue 17-May-11 20:08:41
ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 18-May-11 23:25:22
vesuvia Thu 19-May-11 10:33:44

This thread has been running for 7 months and lists about 70 women who have been murdered in that time.

Horrific and heartbreaking.

AyeRobot Sat 21-May-11 00:19:21

Julie Dorsett

She went missing in 2002 and her body was discovered in 2008. Her former partner has been arrested.

AyeRobot Sat 21-May-11 00:22:05

I don't know why the last line of the report mentions her working as a prostitute at the time of her disappearance.

queenofthecapitalwasteland Fri 27-May-11 08:47:39

Angela Hoyt
Apparently her ex-boyfriend is wanted for questioning but no previous DV is mentioned.

AyeRobot Mon 30-May-11 00:16:24

queen, it looks like he's done the decent thing and done away with himself.

<becomes less tolerant with every posting on here>

I am sure I saw Treats earlier. Did you show your DH the thread?

MissClavel Mon 30-May-11 12:11:24

RIP Angela Hoyt. Strong, passionate, principled and incredibly good fun.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 01-Jun-11 12:30:02

sad

Did you know her, MissClavel?

MissClavel Thu 02-Jun-11 10:13:21

I did, Elephants. Hadn't seen her for a couple of years though as lives moved in different directions.

It's hard to say this without it coming out wrong, but I will try: she was the most gutsy person, the person who would never hesitate to speak her mind, the person whose smile lit the room. She was the least 'victim' ish person I've ever met. I suppose I'm trying to say that the women this happens to aren't the weak cowering victims of the stereotype. Often they're supremely strong, and I imagine in Angela's case that it was that that drew that bastard to her in the first place.

And I'm sure that applies to many other women in this thread too.
sad

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 02-Jun-11 10:57:47

I'm so sorry.

She sounds like an amazing person, what an absolute bastard that man was to take her away from her family and friends that loved her. And I read that she'd gone to the police for help - another woman let down by them it seems sad

AyeRobot Sat 04-Jun-11 08:28:51
queenofthecapitalwasteland Mon 06-Jun-11 16:42:30

Christine Chambers and daughter Shania

I don't even look for these stories, they just stare you in the face evry day sad It just gets to me that every time a police spokesperson says "Yes, we failed so-and-so but lessons have been learnt" and barely a week goes by without another family destroyed, another woman failed sad angry

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 06-Jun-11 16:52:50

I was just going to post that, queen. What a bloody surprise that the police have been called before.

There needs to be a Stephen Lawrence-style inquiry into institutionalised sexism that prevents these crimes being taken seriously, and women's worries being taken seriously, until it's too late.

queenofthecapitalwasteland Mon 06-Jun-11 17:01:42

Too bloody right Elephants, why does it have to always go this far? How can so many forces miss all these warning signs that neighbours and relatives warn them about? I can't help but think that one visit should be emough to put people on some sort of 'at risk list' which is consulted every time a report is made. grrr, still angry....

DuelingFanjo Tue 07-Jun-11 10:54:42

so, so awful sad

aliceliddell Tue 07-Jun-11 11:01:59

I just put Christine & Shania on a new thread because I --am too thick to remember--forgot about this one. Elephants - agree re Stephen Lawrence type campaign. What do we think about contacting Women's Aid about that idea?

aliceliddell Tue 07-Jun-11 11:03:36

I am nevergoing to work out how to use that strikethrough thingy

aliceliddell Tue 07-Jun-11 11:04:14

FFS! See?

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 07-Jun-11 14:15:10

There's a long thread about the case here, with other people suggesting that MN should do a campaign. I would be right behind that. All these women, all these children.

AyeRobot Wed 08-Jun-11 00:28:41
AyeRobot Thu 09-Jun-11 21:12:41

Deborah Langmead and Donna St John

Deborah had got a harassment order a few days before she was killed, along with her friend.

DirtyMartini Thu 23-Jun-11 15:16:24

Rebecca Aylward

Saw this at the supermarket today. Her 15-year-old ex is on trial for murdering her in exchange for his mate buying him breakfast.

DirtyMartini Thu 23-Jun-11 15:30:00

(obviously there is more to it than that)

Julie Tottle. Her partner in hospital having jumped out of 1st floor window. He is the only suspect. Her body was found on Tuesday but it is estimated she died 3 days earlier sad. Presumably her partner jumped out of the window when the police arrived.

AyeRobot Sun 10-Jul-11 09:08:00
AyeRobot Tue 19-Jul-11 13:10:49
ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 27-Jul-11 16:57:32

Just saw Joshua Davies has been found guilty of battering 15 year old Rebecca Aylward to death - further to the post below.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 27-Jul-11 17:14:54

Laura Davies Jones's husband Richard has also been found guilty. I see she was another one who expressed terror that she would be killed, and her children are still afraid for their lives sad

AyeRobot Fri 29-Jul-11 08:08:14

Victoria Meek and her children Luckily, they weren't killed, but not for the want of trying by her ex, who has now been found guilty of attempted murder.

AyeRobot Tue 02-Aug-11 07:57:30
ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 02-Aug-11 14:30:40

I just saw that, Aye. sad

Another attempted murder in Caldicot

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 03-Aug-11 09:55:14
ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 03-Aug-11 09:57:19

That's about 25 in the last 3 months. sad

AyeRobot Wed 03-Aug-11 22:04:41

Edite Titane

E&M, sadly, it seems like we're right on track for yet another year of two women being murdered every week by their current or former partner.

RIP

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 05-Aug-11 10:29:46

Isabel Trindade who was killed last year despite repeatedly calling the police. Two constables are apparently facing a "misconduct meeting" over this, I'm sure they'll be disciplined appropriately for ignoring death threats etc. Well actually no, I'm not at all sure.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 05-Aug-11 10:31:29

Anna Banks

Her boyfriend is claiming it was an accident during a "sex game", yet did not call an ambulance for 24 hours.

Linda Merigo

I actually read this in The Sun (don't ask!) but their coverage of the victim was dismal and I thought she deserved better than that.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 11-Aug-11 17:47:27

What an absolute fucker, Scallops.

I see that Daniel Lancaster was cleared of the murder of Anna Banks, but the court accepted his plea of guilty to manslaughter. Bear in mind this bloke left his dead girlfriend for 24 hours before calling the ambulance. He got 4 years. He'll be out in 18 months I imagine.

Joseph Loughran meanwhile has been jailed for 9 years for subjecting 5 different women to domestic abuse/attempted murder.

AyeRobot Fri 12-Aug-11 22:42:37
AyeRobot Mon 15-Aug-11 07:29:04
HerBeX Mon 15-Aug-11 23:16:17

I came on to post that one Herbex. It almost deserves a thread on its own it is so tragic. sad

AyeRobot Sun 21-Aug-11 23:38:49
AyeRobot Wed 24-Aug-11 18:33:33
AyeRobot Sun 28-Aug-11 19:13:47
AyeRobot Sun 04-Sep-11 19:22:22
ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 05-Sep-11 11:32:16

I see that's not even in the main news section of the England page on BBC any more, now they know it was the husband of one of the women.

It is terrfiying how many people are at risk in their own homes sad

ElephantsAndMiasmas Sun 11-Sep-11 12:13:24
AyeBelieveInTheHumanityOfMen Tue 13-Sep-11 09:44:14
ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 14-Sep-11 07:50:28

Did anyone else see this about possibly changing the bail laws in the wake of the Jane Clough case?

AyeBelieveInTheHumanityOfMen Mon 19-Sep-11 18:11:40

Linda Bakewell Yet another "sex gone wrong" defence.

E&M - will check that out after dinner. I am still full of rage about Jane's murder and circumstances surrounding it.

KRITIQ Mon 19-Sep-11 21:34:39
AyeBelieveInTheHumanityOfMen Wed 28-Sep-11 09:13:39
AyeBelieveInTheHumanityOfMen Sat 08-Oct-11 09:09:40

Beena Bhatt

Bit puzzled by "The Crown Prosecution Service said Miss Bhatt's death was a "shocking and tragic case of extreme domestic violence".

No, it was murder. Not a domestic that went too far.

AyeScream Mon 17-Oct-11 13:01:48
AyeScream Tue 18-Oct-11 12:41:48

Casey Brittle

11 reports of dv in 2 years and the Police still did nothing sad.

AyeDunnoReally Sat 29-Oct-11 21:34:46
AyeDunnoReally Sat 29-Oct-11 21:35:43
KRITIQ Wed 02-Nov-11 22:18:27
KRITIQ Thu 03-Nov-11 10:58:45
AyedaBWells Thu 03-Nov-11 13:20:34
AyedaBWells Thu 03-Nov-11 13:23:02
AyedaBWells Thu 03-Nov-11 13:25:24

Julia Tottle's killer is pleading not guilty to murder on the basis of diminished responsibility, though has pleaded guilty to manslaughter. Ties in with this thread

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 08-Nov-11 16:32:03

Mary Griffiths killed by a man allegedly after saying she would not have a relationship with him, despite her seeking help from the police and the fact that he worked in an abbatoir, had access to weapons and was being considered for sectioning.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 08-Nov-11 16:34:44

Julie Rutherford luckily survived this attack, when her partner cut his initials into her abdomen sad

AyeBelieve Mon 14-Nov-11 23:38:23
KRITIQ Fri 18-Nov-11 23:30:06
ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 25-Nov-11 14:52:35

Rosie Mayer

"They were described at the hearing as an unlikely couple, with Ms Mayer vivacious and independent while Mr Barrett was said to be insecure, with a controlling nature and was said to resent her spending time with her own children.

He had received counselling for his problems and Ms Mayer had been optimistic that he could overcome them, the inquest was told."

God, reminds me of some of the threads on Relationships here. sad

AyeBelieve Sun 27-Nov-11 09:42:06

Tracy Jones

She contacted the police 5 times in 4 weeks before the fire. When are the authorities going to take women seriously and actually protect us? Investigations after the event are not working.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Sun 27-Nov-11 23:00:29

Do you think we can find out how many complaints the IPCC has dealt with relating to domestic violence? Freedom of information?

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 28-Nov-11 09:48:40

I see Patricia Bardon's killer will have to serve at least a whopping six years (link) for beating her up and breaking her neck before throwing her to the ground and killing her. Unbelievable.

AyeBelieve Mon 28-Nov-11 15:08:12

E&M shock

""demonstrated that he was completely indifferent to Ms Bardon's well-being, an attitude compounded by his failure to seek medical help for her"" - and because of a lack of mens rea for murder, prosecutors accepted his guilty plea to manslaughter.

Just like in rape where for some rapists consent is neither here nor there and so can wriggle out of a conviction on lack of mens rea, this couldn't give a fuck attitude for women's well-being in crime situations means that the crime figures don't reflect the amount and seriousness of the violence that is committed by men against women.

Apols - that isn't very coherent but it makes me so fucking angry.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 28-Nov-11 15:40:23

Yes, as if the men who just hate women so much they don't even think of them as people can't possibly commit murder, as that would involve some degree of giving a toss about whether somebody lives or dies.

AyeSmagic Fri 02-Dec-11 22:53:29
AyeSmagic Sat 03-Dec-11 07:38:05
AyeSmagic Sun 04-Dec-11 21:21:20
AyeFartedOnSantasLap Fri 09-Dec-11 12:28:46

The Day family

"TWO teenagers were being treated for serious injuries today after their former police officer father killed their mother and sister before killing himself.

Neighbours said Tobias Day had recently lost his police job.

He killed his wife Samantha and his seven-year-old daughter Genevieve, and attacked his two other children Kimberly and Adam before taking his own life yesterday."

AyeFartedOnSantasLap Fri 09-Dec-11 13:43:03
AyeFartedOnSantasLap Sun 11-Dec-11 11:57:01

2 as yet un-named women in Toxteth 1 woman murdered, 1 woman seriously injured, 1 man arrested.

AyeFartedOnSantasLap Sun 11-Dec-11 15:58:22
ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 12-Dec-11 12:59:14

Michelina Lewandowska survived by escaping after she was tasered and buried alive by her fiance.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 12-Dec-11 15:08:15
KRITIQ Mon 12-Dec-11 18:37:16
MJinSparklyStockings Mon 12-Dec-11 22:43:13

sad

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 13-Dec-11 16:38:08

Clair Smith and her sons Ben and Aron, murdered by her husband and the father of the boys.

The second family in a week killed by the so-called man of the house. sad

"Mr Taylor added: 'Ben's advent calendar is not opened on the Saturday so we believe something's happened overnight Friday or the early hours of Saturday'

Mrs Smith's family, including her parents Alan and Norma Smith, released a statement in which they described her as 'an exceptional person, loving and caring to everyone'.

They added: 'She was a loving mum, her children were her life, and everything centred around her family and home. She was our daughter and our best pal.'"

ScarlettIsWalking Wed 14-Dec-11 21:46:47

This thread is so heartbreaking

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 15-Dec-11 11:03:45
AyeFartedOnSantasLap Thu 22-Dec-11 13:17:31
AyeFartedOnSantasLap Sat 24-Dec-11 15:41:15
AyeFartedOnSantasLap Tue 27-Dec-11 23:39:48
AyeFartedOnSantasLap Tue 27-Dec-11 23:44:08
AyeFartedOnSantasLap Wed 28-Dec-11 16:04:27
Dworkin Thu 29-Dec-11 13:13:43

Sorry can't do the link/name of victim. Ruby Love.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2079473/Ruby-Love-murder-Man-arrested-womans-body-Londons-Grand-Union-Canal.html

This thread is horrifying to read but an excellent idea. It is shameful that so many lives are lost and so many families are crushed and all under the euphemistic term of 'domestic violence'. It's murder, plain and simple, and it's of epidemic proportions - think of the headlines if two healthy people a week were dying of some 'flu'.

AyeRobot Mon 02-Jan-12 23:46:05

Susan McGoldrick 47, her sister Alison Turnbull, 44 and her niece Tanya Turnbull, 24 "There were 40 fatal injuries from crimes involving firearms in 2009-10" - and how many women were killed at the hands of men they knew in that time? More than double that number. So why is the focus on the BBC website about firearms killings and not about the murder of women by men they know?

AyeRobot Tue 03-Jan-12 00:00:48
KRITIQ Wed 04-Jan-12 22:17:47

Katy Winchester, age 21.

Murdered by her boyfriend who then committed suicide in April 2011, but the coroner's inquest being held now. Inquest has heard about his violent and controlling behaviour in the relationship.

KRITIQ Wed 04-Jan-12 23:27:30

Claire O'Connor

"The man being held was arrested shortly after the grim discovery and is believed to be her boyfriend, Aaron Mann."

AyeRobot Thu 05-Jan-12 12:32:05
KRITIQ Thu 05-Jan-12 14:27:46
ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 06-Jan-12 14:45:06

God, so many of these over Christmas sad

AyeRobot Sat 07-Jan-12 13:08:33
KRITIQ Sun 15-Jan-12 11:12:01

An as yet unnamed woman, 31, and her 8 year old daughter in Kirkby Avenue, Garforth, Leeds.

AyeRobot Sun 15-Jan-12 20:55:59

Was just coming on to post, KRITIQ, so thank you. Sarah and Abigail Laycock

RIP.

No sidebar with an analysis of male violence against women, unlike the firearms analysis on the murders of Susan McGoldrick, Alison Turnbull and Tanya Turnbull. Perhaps I'll send this thread to the BBC to help them.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 17-Jan-12 11:39:08

I know. What a total shocker that the police didn't think that numerous violent incidents against his partner were grounds for removing his DEADLY WEAPONS.

Why make it too easy for women in violent relationships eh? Dealing with a man who probably massively out-does you in height and weight in definitely not enough of a challenge, let's just let the guy have guns in the house as well.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 17-Jan-12 17:49:06

Anyone see this?

Mentions Jane Parker, Jackie Evans and Dawn Clinton.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 31-Jan-12 00:28:31
BasilRathbone Sun 05-Feb-12 11:40:02

You know the awful thing about Edite Titane?

The bastard who murdered her, has been sentenced to life but has been told that he only has to serve 13 years before being eligible for parole.

So if he behaves himself in prison (and seeing as there won't be any women there to beat up, he probably will) he will be 38 when he comes out of prison. Easily young enough to find another victim and subject her to the same sort of controlling persecution to which he subjected Edite before he murdered her.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 06-Feb-12 10:24:23

A 74 year old woman in Blackpool.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 07-Feb-12 11:22:40
AyeRobot Wed 08-Feb-12 11:14:57

The woman in Blackpool was Josephine Gilliard

The Leeds woman was Patricia Cairns

ElephantsAndMiasmas Sun 12-Feb-12 18:36:36

Cheryl Tariah, a 17 year old girl.

AlistairSim Sun 12-Feb-12 19:16:36

Saddest thread ever.

sad

theothersparticus Tue 14-Feb-12 16:35:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarsAndBoulevards Wed 15-Feb-12 01:46:32

Manzoor Begum was killed by her husband. I don't want to type this up. They'd been married 60 years. How long had she suffered?

StarsAndBoulevards Wed 15-Feb-12 01:51:26

Kelly, 39, was killed by a former lover. Article is particularly triggering.

Heyyyho Wed 22-Feb-12 14:20:24
TakingBackSaturday Sun 26-Feb-12 23:03:11

Sarah Gosling

Gosling had been in contact with police earlier on the same day she was murdered. sad

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 27-Feb-12 15:13:51

I see Joanne Rennie's killer will have to serve "at least" 13 years.

He'll be out by the time he's 43, plenty of time to go through this cycle again - and will future partners ever get to know about his past?

"Officers responding to a 999 call at her home before she died had found her calm and uninjured and so had left."

The police don't care about women being killed in their homes, is what this thread has taught me sad

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 27-Feb-12 15:16:12
ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 28-Feb-12 17:31:59

Gaynor Brockwell.

This is probably a bit wrong, but compiling this list is making me feel sad that these women had (in many cases) taken the name of their killers. Such an act of trust, and it makes me wonder whether to some of these men it was just one sign that their partners were just a subsidiary part of them, and therefore their lives were less important.

GeekCool Fri 02-Mar-12 14:24:32

Brockwell denies murder but admits the lesser charge of manslaughter, claiming he killed his wife of 26 years after losing control.

How can this even be a defense?!

BasilRathbone Mon 05-Mar-12 19:27:45

Jennie Banner

Her murderer (who has only been convicted of manslaughter) had already served 5 years for the rape of a woman in front of her child.

He was very obviously a danger to women. But he was allowed to roam our streets.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 06-Mar-12 17:59:43
AyeRobot Wed 07-Mar-12 17:43:10

I listened to that last night, E&M. Curate's egg.

Gemma McCluskie

AyeRobot Wed 07-Mar-12 18:05:44

Shauna Lee (distressing report, although they all are, of course)

AyeRobot Tue 13-Mar-12 13:09:51
YuleingFanjo Tue 13-Mar-12 13:15:37

just read about Leanne McNuff. so sad.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 15-Mar-12 11:04:08

And Gemma McCluskie, whose brother is appearing in court charged with her murder.

truthwillout Mon 19-Mar-12 21:52:41

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 26-Mar-12 14:40:52

Sian Rees.

"Prosecutors told the court the couple rowed after Mr Doyle got drunk while Miss Rees underwent cancer treatment.

The prosecution alleges that Ms Rees was stabbed and strangled at the couple's home in Merton."

ElephantsAndMiasmas Sat 31-Mar-12 08:58:51
AyeRobot Tue 10-Apr-12 18:15:29
KRITIQ Wed 11-Apr-12 00:36:17

Sally Ann Harrison in Devonport

vesuvia Fri 13-Apr-12 20:32:07

Tina Nash, who is alive. She was strangled, severely beaten and had her jaw and nose broken by her "boyfriend" before he blinded her by gouging out both of her eyes. He has blamed Tina for the attack.

AyeRobot Sun 15-Apr-12 09:32:24
AyeRobot Sun 15-Apr-12 14:19:04
ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 16-Apr-12 07:12:07

Just coming on to post about her.

sad

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 24-Apr-12 09:26:33

Emily Longley

I am annoyed about how some sources are reporting this, that they had a lot of "arguments", as if they were both responsible, when in fact you read closer and see she was constantly battling his jealous, possessive and angry behaviour.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 24-Apr-12 13:58:21
ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 24-Apr-12 14:00:16
AyeRobot Wed 25-Apr-12 22:11:28
ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 26-Apr-12 07:52:11

I see Northumbria Police's response to the IPCC report on Raoul Moat is pretty pathetic:

"Mr Adamson said subsequent court cases and the inquest into Moat's death had showed "how absolutely fixated Raoul Moat was on causing this devastation".

He said: "To try and suggest that we could have prevented that I think is a step too far. I am convinced he would have done what he intended doing, such was his focus."

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 26-Apr-12 08:24:56

I mean is that what they'd say if, say, someone was fixated on assassinating the Queen? Or stealing the crown jewels? "Well, he really wants to so what can we do?" <shrug>

shock

AyeRobot Mon 30-Apr-12 20:23:47

E&M - I am beyond livid about the way that actual intelligence that would have prevented Moat causing so much harm was so casually ignored. Leads me to believe that the prison service and the police hear this stuff all the time and just shrug it off. How many beatings happen as a result?

Natalie Esack

AyeRobot Thu 10-May-12 08:28:15
AyeRobot Thu 10-May-12 18:00:49
AyeRobot Sun 13-May-12 19:59:54
ElephantsAndMiasmas Sun 13-May-12 21:18:29

Was just going to post that, Aye. So fed up with "suicide pact" nonsense that's been talked about some of these. It's not a suicide pact if only one person wants to die sad

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 17-May-12 17:50:17
seaofyou Mon 21-May-12 11:30:05

Tina Nash on This Morning nowsad

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 29-May-12 13:35:13

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/man-stabs-woman-to-death-in-lisburn-then-turns-knife-on-himself-16165116.html Ksenija Vorosilina]] in Lisburn.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 29-May-12 13:35:34

Sorry link

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 06-Jun-12 22:39:37
ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 11-Jun-12 17:46:53
ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 15-Jun-12 15:59:56
AbigailAdams Sun 01-Jul-12 14:01:44

Unamed woman in Bristol Man arrested.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 02-Jul-12 12:25:09
ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 03-Jul-12 13:51:54
AyeRobot Tue 03-Jul-12 18:09:22
AyeRobot Tue 03-Jul-12 18:09:58
AyeRobot Tue 03-Jul-12 18:11:05
ElephantsAndMiasmas Sun 08-Jul-12 23:33:07
ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 10-Jul-12 18:25:53

Eva Rausing one of the UK's richest women has been found dead and her husband arrested.

DuelingFanjo Thu 12-Jul-12 14:13:53

to be fair, it looks like Eva Rausing was a victim of long term drug abuse and her marriage appears to have otherwise been a happy one. Rather jumping the gun to suggest that she was killed by her husband.

AbigailAdams Fri 13-Jul-12 20:57:06
AbigailAdams Sat 14-Jul-12 18:39:01

Marie McGrory Husband convicted of her murder.

MildewMayhew Tue 17-Jul-12 01:59:52

Jennifer Findlay

Hayley Jones : Warning, the Hayley Jones article tries to blame Facebook, or Hayley's actions on FB. The only person responsible for Hayley's death is her murderer.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 19-Jul-12 13:04:10
PosieParker Thu 19-Jul-12 15:08:17

The suicide is to leave more shit for the intended victim, the children are often killed just to upset the ex and the suicide is so that none but her pays. Fucking bastards...every last one.

AbigailAdams Tue 07-Aug-12 20:42:47

As yet unnamed woman

NameGames Wed 08-Aug-12 18:28:40

The woman in Birmingham is Natasha Trevis

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 22-Aug-12 15:41:44

IPCC find that police made mistakes in the case of Christine Chambers and her daughter Shania who were killed by Shania's father David Oakes.

Apparently the fact that the police had seen the aftermath of his attacks before and he'd previously tried to run over his partner weren't enough of a clue that he was a murderously violent misogynistic dangerous bastard or that maybe they should work on enforcing the non-molestation order put in place to protect Christine and Shania.

TheDoctrineOfEnnis Wed 22-Aug-12 17:08:29

Ah, Elephants., I was just coming on to post that. So sad.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 24-Aug-12 11:32:45

Samantha Laney aged 19 whose ex-boyfriend stabbed her to death in front of her family. Staffordshire police had refused to protect her due to staff shortages despite the fact that he had told her he would "slice her open" after the relationship ended. He also attacked her dad.

SmellsLikeTeenStrop Tue 18-Sep-12 15:07:29

Buckley http://www.metro.co.uk/news/912301-three-generations-of-same-family-killed-in-house-fire-in-south-wales, her mother Kim and baby daughter Kimberly. Killed in a house fire. Kayleigh's ex boyfriend, and the father of baby Kimberly has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

SmellsLikeTeenStrop Tue 18-Sep-12 15:08:01

oops, that should be Kayleigh Buckley.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 01-Oct-12 16:00:09

Just marking place.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 09-Oct-12 11:27:31

Claire Boswell survived being stabbed in the chest by her ex-boyfriend who had been let off with a suspended sentence after coming to her house and threatening to kill her on a previous occasion.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 15-Oct-12 15:27:23
ScarahScreams Fri 19-Oct-12 14:18:33
runningforthebusinheels Fri 02-Nov-12 15:18:14
EmmelineGoulden Fri 09-Nov-12 18:11:34

Kimberley Frank and Samantha Sykes, killed by Kimberley's sister's boyfriend.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 12-Nov-12 23:10:05
ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 12-Nov-12 23:10:38
ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 03-Dec-12 15:08:35
ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 04-Dec-12 11:50:00
ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 04-Dec-12 11:50:22
AnyaKnowIt Thu 27-Dec-12 18:35:42

Charmaine MacMuris Mother of 3 children was murdered on christmas day

ElephantsAndMiasmas Sun 30-Dec-12 08:36:54

Julia Thurgaland a 70 year old churchwarden from Maplebeck, Nottinghamshire, found strangled on Friday. Her husband has been arrested.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Sun 30-Dec-12 08:49:41

Rebecca Sessacar a 25 year old from Croydon, stabbed to death. Her 6 year old daughter was also hurt. Her husband has been arrested.

KRITIQ Sun 30-Dec-12 22:08:26

Judith Anne Brierley in Ealing, West London.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Sat 05-Jan-13 10:10:54

A man has been arrested for the murder of Janelle Duncan-Bailey who disappeared following a "domestic incident" at her former partner's address.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 09-Jan-13 10:14:38

Anastasia Voykina was found beaten to death. Her boyfriend has been arrested.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 18-Jan-13 14:27:34
AnyaKnowIt Tue 29-Jan-13 18:21:27
ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 06-Feb-13 21:07:15
TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Thu 14-Feb-13 22:24:34
ElephantsAndMiasmas Sat 16-Feb-13 19:51:00
ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 19-Feb-13 17:35:27
TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Tue 19-Feb-13 21:17:58

I didn't know about Samantha Medland. So sad.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 20-Feb-13 11:13:11
ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 20-Feb-13 11:14:19

Sabrina Bebb-Jones whose husband has finally admitted killing her and her dumping her body in 1997 sad

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 22-Feb-13 22:13:27
ElephantsAndMiasmas Sun 03-Mar-13 23:42:17
AbigailAdams Thu 07-Mar-13 12:20:43

Unnamed 16 yr old girl stabbed on the way to school. Tragic.

The woman in Devizes was Victoria Rose.

EmmelineGoulden Fri 08-Mar-13 18:26:13
SabrinaMulhollandJjones Sat 23-Mar-13 13:18:47
ElephantsAndMiasmas Sat 23-Mar-13 14:35:39

The judge gave the man who killed Gaby just seven years because she had "emotionally abused him" by saying she would leave him due to his irresponsible behaviour (out drinking all day leaving her with a tiny baby and who knows what else). I would be astonished if he hadn't hurt her before this - who goes straight to murder? She even said "please" when asking him to stop killing her - if anyone was scared it wasn't him sad

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Sat 23-Mar-13 14:49:48

The justice system fails victim of male violence again.

DaffodilAdams Thu 28-Mar-13 15:36:29

http://kareningalasmith.wordpress.com/2013/03/25/counting-dead-women/ This is a really excellent article about domestic violence. 112 women were killed last year due to domestic violence.

DaffodilAdams Thu 28-Mar-13 15:36:51
KarenIngalaSmith Mon 01-Apr-13 09:27:20

Thank you DaffodilAdams for the link to my blog and your comment.

You may also be interested in this link to a list of the names of 112 women killed through male violence against women in the UK in 2102: wp.me/p3jI2H-15

This is a list of the 22 women killed so far this year (January - March 2012) in the UK through male violence against women: wp.me/p3jI2H-1b

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Mon 01-Apr-13 11:19:59

Thank you for your tremendous work on this Karen thanks

DaffodilAdams Tue 02-Apr-13 12:15:14

Yes thank you Karen.

AnyaKnowIt Tue 09-Apr-13 18:52:42
runningforthebusinheels Thu 25-Apr-13 11:40:04
AyeRobot Sun 05-May-13 23:22:54

I've not been around in ages for various reasons (not least that feminists weren't much welcome here), but I popped in and noticed that this thread was sadly a tad neglected, barring a few stalwarts (thank you!).

So, I did an unscientific search on news items since I was last on here and wanted to recognised those women who have lost their lives at the hands of the men who perhaps once professed to love them. The list won't be recognising all who lost their lives in domestic violence in the last 10 months or so, and I bow my head in recognition of those below and all I have not mentioned.

RIP

Alexis Durant

Salma Parveen

Heather Arthur

Christine Baker

Farkhanda Younis

Nalia Mumtaz

Lesley Caile

Un-named woman in Birmingham

Un-named woman in Oldham

Khanokporn Satjawat

Dawn Warburton

Debbie Simister

Christine Haye-Levy

Virginja Jurkiene

Sarah Groves

Jill Meagher

Althea Taylor

Mary Roberts

Maria Barbosa - attempted murder, luckily

Ksenjia Vorosilina

Lydia Spence

Debbie Linsley

Georgina Hackett

Claire Morris

Jennifer Rennie

Chantelle Barnsdale-Quean

Un-named woman in Aylesbury

Susan Cole

Louise Evans

Catherine Gowring

Dimitrina Borisova

Un-named woman in Northampton

Kim Russell

Hayley Pointon

Georgiana Stuparu

Tina Casey

Debbie Levey

Chloe Siokos

Debbie Starbuck

Surjit Kaur Pandher

Eileen Doherty

Kathleen Milward

Un-named woman in Westerham

Anastasia Voykina

attepmted murder on un-named woman in Brecon

buildingmycorestrength Wed 22-May-13 18:16:37

I haven't been on this thread before but you all might want to support the call for an inquiry into police handling of DV

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/public-inquiry-into-police-and-state-agency-response-to-domestic-violence

Apologies if this is not an appropriate place to post this.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 27-May-13 19:31:07

Pamela Jackson whose body has been found in West Yorkshire. Her partner has been charged with murder.

CoalDustWoman Fri 31-May-13 23:25:25

Georgia Williams

buildingmycorestrength, absolutely the right place to post. I've signed. Clicky link to the petition for a public enquiry into State reponse to DV

buildingmycorestrength Sat 01-Jun-13 07:11:40

Thanks for that, Coal.

KarenIngalaSmith Sat 01-Jun-13 16:17:42

Up to date (as far as I know) list of UK women killed through suspected male violence from January - May 2012 here: wp.me/p3jI2H-3T

41 so far this year, that's one woman killed every 3.66 days.

Bunnylion Sun 02-Jun-13 23:02:44
YoniBottsBumgina Mon 03-Jun-13 13:11:41

Named as Yvonne and Harrison Walsh. sad The suspect is her boyfriend, who was known to police before this happened.

Awful.

Bunnylion Mon 03-Jun-13 20:17:41

It's so heartbreaking.

I completely agree with the OPs opinion that this is an epidemic. But how bad does it have to get before there is an awakening in social awareness of what's happening to so many women?

Bunnylion Wed 26-Jun-13 08:12:47

Yvonne and Harrison Walsh

Little Harrison was 7 months old.

EmmelineGoulden Sun 30-Jun-13 16:59:08
AnyaKnowIt Sat 06-Jul-13 09:50:22

Rebecca Thompson age 11, her father has been charged with her murder

EmmelineGoulden Fri 26-Jul-13 09:26:30
Bunnylion Fri 26-Jul-13 19:56:31
EmmelineGoulden Fri 02-Aug-13 04:11:16
dadsmatter Sat 03-Aug-13 00:18:58

I wonder do any of these bloggers think that women are capable of perpetrating abuse? The torture to the 4 yr old if not entirely dished out by mum was always supported by mum. We must remember women are just as capable of abuse neglect and malicious allegations.

Wuldric Sat 03-Aug-13 00:39:12

Women are capable of domestic violence and murder, to be sure. But the overwhelming majority of dv cases and domestic murders are by men, are they not?

dadsmatter Sat 03-Aug-13 00:53:27

Yes women are just as capable. But by nature are protected stats distorted to suit . unless we treat domestic violence in a non gendered way we will never break the cycle

KarenIngalaSmith Mon 12-Aug-13 22:21:46

Women are not "just as capable". Hence the great majority of victims of domestic violence murders are women and the great majority of killers are men.

CaptChaos Sat 14-Sep-13 17:16:53

Until we realise that domestic violence, and indeed most violence is gendered, and that men are the perpetrators, we will never move forward.

The overwhelming majority of violent crimes are perpetrated by men, whether they be VAWG or violence toward other men.

Some women are violent, true. However,when they are, they get harsher sentences on average than a man committing a similar crime. Stats are often distorted. Not in favour of women though. Odd that.

KarenIngalaSmith Sun 15-Sep-13 23:06:18

I've started a petition demanding that the government properly record and take action to end fatal male violence against women.
Please join me and sign: http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/theresa-may-home-secretary-to-record-of-fatal-male-violence-against-women?utm_source=guides&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_created

link

Good article in the Guardian today Karen, shame about some of the commenters...

GarthsUncle Sat 08-Mar-14 00:20:00

I know she's named upthread but with the trial ongoing, Reeva Steenkamp

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 17-Mar-14 20:54:05

Jayden Parkinson, aged 17, killed by her ex boyfriend

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26609932

GotMyGoat Mon 17-Mar-14 21:03:50

My housemates mother was killed by her husband 10 years ago, justice has still not been done due to lack of evidence. Long history of domestic violence and abuse...

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 17-Mar-14 21:07:25

So sorry, GotMy.

GotMyGoat Mon 17-Mar-14 21:09:41

She is still fighting - unfortunately their children were all traumatised by years of abuse, and so didn't tell police the whole truth in their statements which means police haven't been keen to be as helpful as they might be - over such a long time you forgot that their really is institutional misogyny and racism but it is still there.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 17-Mar-14 21:12:17

If it would help to post her name here, please do flowers