Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline and memory loss

(20 Posts)
flatcapandpearls Wed 12-Aug-09 22:27:07

Does nayone else experience this, I have always been a bit dippy but over the last few years my short term memory loss has got awful. It is so bad now that I do something and then seconds later forget I have done it, it makes me quite anxious and panicky as I am always losing things and then get frustrated with myself.

I had assumed it was just me but was talking to a friend who said she also had really bad short term memory loss and it seemed to get better when she stopped taking the sertraline.

I will of course see my doctor about this at my next review but was wondering if anyone else had this. I have seen it listed as a rare side effect.

flatcapandpearls Wed 12-Aug-09 22:28:06

Sorry that was worded really badly. blush

weegiemum Wed 12-Aug-09 22:30:24

I have been on Sertraline on and off since it was invented, and then on from dd1's birth (Feb 2000 ) to a bad reaction taking me off it (June 2005).

Then on again for the last 7 months.

Never had any memory issues - in fact, sometimes I think dh wishes I did! (joke).
Hope you can find out what is going on.

flatcapandpearls Wed 12-Aug-09 22:32:31

grin

I may just have a really bad short term memory and it is not linked to the medication, but it has just got me thinking.

It frustrated people around me as well, I am always loosing my keys, phone, purse etc... just seconds after putting them down. Or I just have no memory of doing things at all.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 13-Aug-09 16:41:34

Flatcap - I'm on Sertraline and haven't noticed a problem.
The days when I'm having a bad day I forget things, it's very much stress linked for me.

BaronConker Mon 17-Aug-09 10:01:11

Not on sertraline, but on citalopram and I think it makes me VERY dippy. I'm not normally forgetful at all (although I am when pregnant) but since I've been taking this I forget things constantly and just feel like a right dozy twonk. It's a tough one, as I started taking my ADs because of PND quite soon after the birth of DS3, so it may just be that the third pregnancy made me lose so many brain cells that I've become stupid! Or the fact that having 3 kids and working from home is just so much to think about that my brain doesn't have room for anything else. Guess I'll have to wait and see if my brain power improves when I come off them.

wissyssis Fri 21-Aug-09 18:28:31

I've found that my ability to concentrate and multi task has got worse since being on sertraline, but then that might be the depression.....?
It says on the packet about might cause probs with driving/operating machinary so I think it can affect concentartion, memory etc.
I've found I've put on weight recently too

draktripathi Sun 24-Apr-11 03:33:32

yes, i am on sertraline for last 9 months .I do notice loss of short term memory & prolong reaction time .I am thinking of stopping it & see if these side effects disappear.

FriedEggyAndSlippery Sun 24-Apr-11 06:53:42

Interesting because I've just started back on sertraline after a couple of months off. I've noticed myself getting really clumsy.

draktripathi Sun 24-Apr-11 11:02:55

I have been taking Sertraline for 9 months.I do have noticed short term memory loss & prolong reaction time. I am thinking of stopping it to see if these side effects disappear or not.

Orangeflower7 Fri 29-Apr-11 20:50:33

Hi I have been taking sertraline the past couple of weeks, am just starting out with it so maybe it will change but I have found my memory has been terrible, strangely I can kind of remember stuff I need to do next but not that has happened! Someone asked me the other day what I'd done at the weekend and I was flummoxed. Bit embarrassing.

UpsyDaisyDo Sat 30-Apr-11 09:27:39

Same here. I've been taking it for about 3 weeks now and do seem far more ditsy than usual. Have also had other side effects which seem to be going a bit now. Starting on sertraline hasn't been a great experience for me at all!

Pixielovescake Sun 01-May-11 19:06:12

I was on prozac and was exactly the way you described ! i did mention it on here but no one else had felt the same. Nice to know im not alone. I was always ditzy but i got so so much worse. Doing things , forgetting id done them all that sort of stuff. Im a bit better now a couple of months in if that helps anyone ?

WorzselMaamage Sun 01-May-11 19:15:41

Oh wow! I'm on a small dose of sertraline for anxiety and I too have noticed my memory has got worse recently.

Interesting to see it's a known problem.

Pixielovescake Mon 02-May-11 19:55:57

Yes im glad ive seen this. Im still not sure it it is the prozac but at least i know others have felt similar effects from the same sort of drug.

char1i3 Wed 22-Aug-12 01:12:19

I thought the memory loss and differculty in multi tasking was me, but now I read all your comments I'm amazed at how man people too suffer.
I have just finished a degree,and now trying for a baby and it has gone through my mind how would I cope with the frustration of my 2 second memory. I'm now weaning off sertraline and hope to get my mind back. :-)

jennyb16 Wed 29-Apr-15 20:13:23

I know this is an old post but i have been on sertraline for about 7 weeks and my memory has gotten worse and worse to the point its started affecting my life forgetting appointments meeting up with friends and where i just put something its so upsetting and frustrating going go back doctors and see what can be done sad.

Zippidydoodah Mon 04-May-15 07:38:10

This makes a lot of sense! I thought my complete lack of memory was down to the stress/depression.

TongueBiter Mon 04-May-15 07:51:07

I've been blaming menopause for mine! Which it could be, but not helped by Sertraline. I wonder what the go-to replacement is?

Judehooley1 Wed 09-Nov-16 09:13:05

I'm 53 years old and have been taking Sertraline for the last five years (and taking these and other antidepressants for the last 20 years). I have been told by my Dr that the new government health directive is that people who suffer from regular bouts of depression and anxiety should remain on anti-depressants for life! This is because we cannot sustain the right amount of endorphin's. Not great news I know and like many, I'd rather not be on them at all. But struggling along is worse and so I get help.
Recently I've noticed that my short-term memory has been getting worse and I've been too scared to either acknowledge it or go to my Dr. Reading the last post has just washed a huge wave of relief over me, because I was imagining the worst scenario and that is early stages Dementia! I'll now be brave and go and see my Dr!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now