Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone had a baby whilst on Sertraline?

(64 Posts)

I'm currently on 50mg/day of Sertraline and have been for the last 8 months or so; and just had a positive pregnancy test at the weekend. During my previous pregnancies I had severe and extreme pre-natal anxiety, insomnia and OCD. I'm currently on the Sertraline for anxiety and insomnia and I really don't want to have to stop if I can avoid it as I am terrified of how unstable I was during my last pregnancies. Does anyone experience of taking Sertraline in pregnancy?

LackaDAISYcal Fri 05-Jun-09 23:01:33

Jamma, just seen your post and hope you are OK.

Welcome to MN smile but sorry you are feeling low. I've got a seven month old DS and have been taking ADs since I was three months pregnant with him and swapped to sertraline when he was born. I've done lots of research on it and am happy it's the best drug for me, and also for him in terms of it tracing in my milk.

I hope that you start to feel better soon.

how old is your DC? If you look in the being a parent section and at postnatal clubs, there are chat threads for each month and year. Lots of advice and support and empathy from mums with similar aged babies to be had on those. don't feel daunted by the fact that the other mums already "know" each other....people join in all the time on my november 08 thread and are always welcomed with open arms.

heli99 Wed 10-Jun-09 14:01:23

I have been on sertraline for 15 months since having my first son 2 years ago. I this morning went to the doctors for a repeat prescription and when I told her that we trying again for another baby she recommended that I wean myself off them and thus has reduced my doseage, slowly from 100mg to 50mg on alternate days for two weeks then onto 50mg.... Any advice would be appreciated as I'm dubious about coming off them for obvious reasons. Do i need to worry if I get pregnant on them? hmm

madmissy Mon 15-Jun-09 17:46:36

just wanted to bump this back up

hangingbelly!

wow i have 2 dd's also dd1 3 and dd2 is 2 sept
i have had pnd with both and suffered and also
i have just started sertraline on 50mg after coming off my mirtazapine of 100mg (gp was not keen on that in early pg) im on day 4 and i know it takes a while to kick in

things got pretty heavy wioth me end of last year and i now have lots off help and care with my hospital to support me and i have been assigned consultant care by midwife

my main prob is my anxiety

anyway just i was glad to read of someone in similar position!

Pelepeg Sun 15-Nov-09 14:14:46

Just wanted to resurrect this thread because

1) I was put on Sertraline 50mg when disgnosed with PND at ds's 8 month check (antually at 9 months). Dr chose this one because I refused to stop bf and he said this was the only safe one to take.

2) I'm still on it and wanting to try for number 3, so have found reassurance that it's ok to carry on with it, so thank you ladies!

grin

doggus Sat 28-Nov-09 21:05:52

Message for mummytopebs, I have bad OCD and took clomipramine throughout pregnancy. I started off on 100mg and dropped to 50mg for the last few weeks. Unfortunately my ds had withdrawal symptoms (jittery, rapid breathing, high pitched cry) but the docs thought it was because I had to take dihydrocodeine throughout pregnancy for another physical health issue. His withdrawals were horrible to watch but were very mild according to the nurses and he was on the general ward, not special care. He is now a strapping perfectly normal 2 and a half year old.

As for miscarriages I have had four since having him but have never put it down to the drugs, more my advanced years! Please do contact me if there is anything else you want to know, I know how hard it is to make decisions involving meds and pregnancy.

UpsyDiasy2 Wed 04-Aug-10 09:59:45

It was good to read all your messages as I am on 50mg of sertraline recently as since I had my daughter my mood has got worse each time before my periods and was hoping to try for another child

DorisMorris Wed 13-Jul-11 12:03:21

Hi everyone

I am new to mumsnet. I am nearly 22 weeks pregnant and I have been suffering with anxiety and depression. This is the third time that I have suffered an episode like this (previous 2 unrelated to pregnancy).

I have been trying to manage without medication as I am concerned about the effects on my baby. However, I have got to a point where I am not sure if I can go on without some extra help (i.e. medication). My doctor (perinatal psychiatrist) has recommended Sertraline...50mg to start with...

Can anyone offer any advice/ reassurance about this and anyone who has had healthy babies having taken this drug?

Really appreciate any advice/ experience as I feel caught between the devil and the deep blue sea - wanting to do what is right for my baby and know that part of that is a healthy, happy mum :-)

x

Zwitterion Thu 14-Jul-11 19:33:19

Hi Doris

I started taking setraline again (50 mg and then 100 mg) when 12 weeks pregnant. It made a huge difference to me and greatly reduced the intrusive thoughts and anxiety.

I stayed on them throughout the pregnancy, no complications with or after the birth, and I breastfed until 14 months.

The way I look at it, for ethical reasons there will never be any conclusive evidence that sertraline or other SSRIs are safe or not during pregnancy. However, there is plenty of evidence to suggest that raised levels of the stress hormone cortisol can cause problems to the mother and to the baby. It's a very stressful decision to make though!

My DD is now 18 months, happy, healthy and developing well. I'm certain this wouldn't have been the case if I hadn't taken sertraline.

Good luck!

Zwitterion Thu 14-Jul-11 19:33:58

And welcome to mumsnet!

LawrieMarlow Thu 14-Jul-11 19:43:27

I posted on this thread a couple of years ago in a previous name - I took 100mg of sertraline from 12 weeks pregnant until well after my DD was born. I breastfed her for 10 months.

She is now a very happy, healthy and it would appear quite intelligent 5 year old. Without my taking sertraline things could have been different.

mummy2mihoney Sat 30-Jul-11 10:06:15

Hi I am currently 8 weeks pregnant and have came off my citralopram meds as wasnt sure if it was safe to continue I have now been put on sertraline as doc said was best during preg and was really not coping and my anxiety and depression were worse than ever due to stopping the citralopram so sudden. I have only been taking the sertraline for 2 days but am hoping they will help. I was uncertain at first about taking meds whilst preg but after the last month I no its the est thing to do as the state i was in and the stress i was under was not good for baby at all. So if anyone is worried about taking this ask yourself if the risk to baby is greater if you are not taking them. smile

2of6 Thu 04-Aug-11 14:26:43

Hi - first time on Mumsnet so not sure if I'll do this right - just been to doc and he said I had to come off Sertraline if I wanted to try for another babe. i'm currently on 100mg trying to wean myself down to 50mg then off but terrifyed of going back to that place. diagnosed with severe pnd but ironically really really would love to try for another. any thoughts...?

mrscupcake Thu 06-Oct-11 19:30:27

Hi 2of6 - I've just been prescribed sertraline (by my psychiatrist) because I want to try for another baby - I have suffered anxiety and depression for years on and off, took sertraline for around 4 years before weaning myself off for first pregnancy. Pregnancy sadly went wrong, became pregnant again within a few months and had healthy ds 4.5 years ago but then suffered severe pnd (in silence for many months). I was then put onto an old MAOI drug which cannot be taken in pregnancy, I weaned myself off of that over six months and was drug free in February this year - fell pregnant in April and miscarried in June. My depression and anxiety are back with a vengeance, unsurprisingly, and my psychiatrist is adamant that I should not become pregnant again until more stable on the sertraline and that it is safe in pregnancy - I'm happy to take his advice - he says sertraline is safe in pregnancy and safer than depression and anxiety in pregnancy too and has written to my GP to that effect.

Maybe worth asking another GP at your surgery for their opinion or even referral to your local mental health team?

Hope this helps and Good Luck! smile

loula24 Thu 31-May-12 16:55:51

Hi, thought I would resurrect this thread as would love to hear from others in a similar situation. I have just been upped from 50mg of Sertraline to 100mg of Sertraline. I have been taking the 50mg for two weeks. How long does it take for this to work? I am 32 weeks pregnant now and in an awful state of anxiety and really want things to get sorted before baby comes. Would love to hear from anyone going through similiar.

Hi loula- I was prescribed 50mg of sertraline in the third trimester of pregnancy after suffering quite severe pre-natal and post-natal depression in my previous pregnancy. I continued to take it through the next 2 1/2 years whilst breastfeeding with no real side-effects other than weight gain for me.

My DD is now a healthy, bright 11 year old and the whole family was protected from the nightmare of severe PND and psychosis. It was well worth it, please hang in there I know it's difficult when you need relief from anxiety immediately.

Regarding time to kick in, the standard reply from doctors is 6 weeks to be at a level where it will begin to have a reasonable effect, but in my experience there is usually some benefit from 3 weeks. You should hopefully start to notice a difference soon and the timing of full benefit should be around your baby's birth.

Good luck with everything,smile

madmomma Fri 01-Jun-12 12:09:23

yes I took 100mg per day and baby is very healthy. Do whatever you need to be well.

loula24 Fri 01-Jun-12 15:19:19

Thank you for your replies. Yes, I'm just finding it difficult as I feel so anxious right now. I am on day 17 of taking it (only had 100mg for the last two days) and I have heard when you up the dose it can increase anxiety for a little while?

Did you find that it worked to totally reduce anxiety in the long-run? I also seem to have the side-effect of insomnia which is not very nice - did you have this at all too? Thank you.

Raemammywanabe Sun 12-Aug-12 13:31:09

Hi I'm new to MN and am relieved somewhat to discover that life can continue whilst on sertraline. I was under the impression that pregnancy was a big no no whilst on meds and after a very difficult and unexpected start to married life (married on april 14th this year, then 6 wks later my husbands ex died suddenly leaving a 4yr old behind whom we are now full time parents to) I'm really not comfortable with the idea of coming off meds which I've taken for 3 yrs. Obviously things have changed a lot and our plans for starting our own family have been put on hold until the little one is settled more with all the changes but I really don't want my dream of having a baby to be forgotten. It gives me hope that even if Im not ready to come off meds I can still try for a baby and protect myself and my new family from the hurt and upset my anxiety and depression can cause.

cupcake78 Mon 13-Aug-12 10:32:36

Been to see my dr today about getting preg and ADs. Very positive outcome don't panic. It is possible, little effect but as with everything preg related there are risks.

Remember getting out of bed each day is a risk as well gringringrin

feeno Thu 23-Aug-12 10:59:00

Hi. Im 33 weeks pregnant and consultant psych has strongly advised I start up on 50mg sertraline for terrible anxiety and depression. Ive read so much about the increased risks of breathing issues if started in third trimester. I also won't be allowed to give birth in the unit of my choice if I take the medication as its midwifery led only.

I know it'll take a few weeks for med to take affect anyway and I always suffer terrible side affects when starting AD's. I just feel like I am in a no win situation. I'm so scared of ending up with PND again but just as scared of ending up with a child with lung issues and/or withdrawal symptoms. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

ambersun Wed 24-Oct-12 13:20:31

Hi feeno, I am new to mumsnet, and have joined because of this very thread! I have found the stories above really reassuring, which is what I was looking for after being prescribed Sertraline this morning. I hope they have made you feel a bit more reassured too?

I suffered with PND following a traumatic birth, difficulty feeding and re-admission to hospital 22 months ago. I suffered in silence mostly out of fear and my symptoms have been heightened since becoming pregnant with baby #2 (I'll be 16 weeks on Friday).

I find it difficult to get dressed in the morning let alone with coping with the rest of the day, and I have recently found I don't have the energy to cope with dd's terrible twos. I felt really guilty taking my first tablet knowing the risks, but have felt so much better since reading this thread so a great big thank you to those above who have shared your experiences over the years thanks

Bozz16 Tue 08-Jan-13 13:17:21

Hi I was put on sertraline over a year ago for depression after citalopram wasn't enough. I am now 15 weeks pregnant and have only just been told today what possible risks it could pose to baby. Scared the shit out of me! So had been hoping for midwife led care as my daughter was delivered with no complications. I have now been told even though I will probably be fine in the delivery aspect of things I have to be consultant led for baby. Feeling gutted but I'd do anything so long as baby is healthy!

WithanAnotE Thu 10-Jan-13 21:07:39

Yes, 100mg and then BF with no problems - now a fine 3 year old.

Lozzypops84 Thu 28-Feb-13 10:00:17

Hi everyone,
I am currently 19 weeks in to my first pregnancy and having previously taking Sertraline for the past 2 years I was advised by one of our doctors when I first tested positive to stop taking it all together as I was on such a low dose of 50mg pd. I have battled on with out it as best I could but in the last month or so have found my anxiety and general low mood has become too much and I am struggling day to day. I was advised by my midwife and another doctor yesterday to start taking it again just at the 50mg.
But after taking my first tablet last night I woke at 4am this morning riddled with guilt at any potential effects it may have on my baby so I am very relieved to come across this thread which has given me much needed reassurance. Thanks x

AF77 Fri 22-Mar-13 15:18:28

Hi, I am 13wks pregnant today and have been taking 50mg of Sertraline for the last 7yrs for anxiety and panic attacks. I started to reduce my dose to 3x weekly a couple of months ago but when I found out I was pregnant 8wks ago, my anxiety went sky high.

I went back to my GP who recommended going straight back on the 50mg daily and (touch wood), things have been pretty 'normal' since. My notes say to monitor breathing and jitteryness of the baby at birth.

To be honest, the GP was of the opinion (and I agree) that my mental health needed to be stabilised so I am more than happy to stay on the meds for as long as necessary.

Don't worry about possible side effects or harm to the baby (easier said than done I know). I honestly believe the doctors know best and wouldn't advise me to stay on it if it was going to be harmful.

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now