Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Emetophobia - let's confront the fear together!

(847 Posts)
corblimeymadam Sun 20-Jul-08 14:22:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Can I join this thread...?

Would appreciate having some people as barmy as I am around me - especially as we approach the new school year/winter (you know, as in '...vomiting virus'?!). There will be point between now and, say, October half term, where I may well totally melt down thinking, oh God, the vomit is coming! The walls are closing in and one of us, if not all of us going to get it AARRGGHH AARRGGHH AARRGGHH! Do you know what I mean?

I'd love to be able to touch base with other people who really 'get' what this phobia does to you...

Thanks - and for anyone who read my 'health' threadm earlier, so far the night has passed peacefully...

wiggleit Sun 03-Aug-08 21:01:25

Hi everyone! Tis quiet on here but usually that is a good sign!

Welcome misspollysdolly---How are things with you? i haven't read your health thread.. what was that, i'll read it?
Hope all is well with you.

Hi bb! Miss you! How's things with you hun? xx

Thank you for letting me come and play...! Will be good to feel supported by people 'in the know'.

If you have read my Health post and were wondering, everyone here seems fine after DS's vom incident yesterday. Found myself stressing a bit about it tonight - felt a bit iffy - but it has now passed am I feel calmer. DS is fine - no idea what his big V was all about yesterday - just something he does occasionally - but boy I wish he wouldn't!!

However, it is proving to be an important reminder to me that my kids are only human - having adopted a DD who is rarely ever ill and too totally non-sicky babies I was allowing myself to live completely in denial that somehow I would never have to deal with the emetophobia in relation to my kids as they were clearly never going to be sick...! Well, now I'm learning ever so slowly that life(with kids)'s not like that.

Have you all heard of the book about Emetophobia by someone called Nicolette Harris?? It's v good - I would recommend it if only gain reassurance or to hand to family/friends/DPs to read.

corblimeymadam Mon 04-Aug-08 09:03:26

mumtoo3 Mon 04-Aug-08 12:55:22

Hi all,

welcome miss polly

hope you enjoy your holiday bb.

i have my meeting with the consultant on 13th aug, about getting help with this, but not sure what they will suggest yet.

is everyone enjoying our lovely summer!!!! mine want to just go in the garden and play they hate being stuck indoors

i saw a friend this morning and she said her and her kids all have 'd', but i am trying to stay calm because i did not go in to her house, and i did not pick anything up or touch anything, and she said they were at a bbq yesterday and its all of them! so i am trying to be calm (big deep breathes just typing this)
X

wiggleit Mon 04-Aug-08 21:20:40

Hi everyone <<waves and blows a kiss to bb>>

How are you all on here?

mt3- It sounds like your friends kids are suffering from something they'd ate at the bbq, try not to panic too much. My DD has d again..she's been like it on and off for months now, trying to find out if it's some sort of food intolerance.She's just been again! Mare! I have to hold my breath while i wipe her bottom and then bleach everything in the bathroom!

Misspolly - how's things with you? I hope you are all ok.xx

bb - have a fab hol babes. Get in touch when you get back hun! xx

Hi to everyone else! <<waves>> xx

Thanks for asking...we all seem to be fine today. Am feeling good for having coped so well this time. smile

mumtoo3 Tue 05-Aug-08 10:44:45

thanks

misspolly - glad things are okay, you should be proud how well you coped

wiggleit - my older 2 both were milk intolerant as babies, dd1 had the most fowl smelling toxic nappies going, with awful colic, but she grew out of it by abour 4 but she still does not like milk. my ds is 2.5yrs and is still milk intolerant and we know when hes had it lets say wink. Intolerances are very hard to work out and they do a 7 year cycle, its a process of elimination and work from the most obvious down.

bb - enjoy yours hols

Dottoressa Tue 05-Aug-08 21:49:16

I've been really interested to read this thread, and to hear from other emets who weren't keen on the other one!

As I've said before, I'm so full of admiration for BB. I've thought about this a lot, and presumably there does just come a point when you realise that you have to do something about this phobia. I occasionally think it's time for me to seek help, but then find excuses not to do it. I am just hoping that, one day, the moment will come for me!

BB: "I am much calmer and if dd wakes at night I don't get that 'OMG what if she's...' thought as I walk into her room." I would give anything to feel that way - but in that case, why don't I do something about it?

I suppose I'm partly afraid of DH thinking I'm even more of a nut than he already thinks I am grin; I'm also embarrassed about appearing silly in front of the GP; I also can't see how I could fit therapy sessions in with looking after the children. I am also very scared that I'd potentially pay a lot of money for something that made no difference. But those all sound like excuses when I write them down!

I really do hope I find the strength to tackle this. BB does give me hope that it's possible, and that therapy of whatever sort can work!

I personally find the other thread very useful as it's my only opportunity to fret and flap without feeling ashamed/silly, but I shall be following this one with great interest as well (and I shall keep it positive if I write anything!)

corblimeymadam Wed 06-Aug-08 11:16:12

mumtoo3 Wed 06-Aug-08 14:26:48

bb - breathe, it is not like being on a cruise, dover - calais is only 1hr 20 ish, i use to take joyriders before going on the ferry just in case and they really help, i know i am an adult but you can still take them, give them to the kids as well wink, were in august i know it does not feel like it now but its not like january with all the cross winds, it should be calmer this time of year not much help i know i am sorry x

wiggleit Wed 06-Aug-08 15:58:28

Hi everyone!

bb - you have come such a long way, listen at you going on a ferry!!!!! I wouldn't even consider it an option!Like mt3 i'm sure if you went to the chemist and got something to take for you and the lo then that should help just in case there is a rough sea. Go girl! I'm so proud of you and full of admiration! smile xxxx

Dot - Hi, glad to hear you survived your trip to France! This thread is good, but i agree with you that i get something out of the other thread too coz you can go on there and not feel embarrassed or stupid about how we deal with certain things. I'll keep checking on both.

Hi to everyone else <<waves>> xx

Dottoressa Wed 06-Aug-08 16:10:50

BB: you will be fine. You have never been seasick before so there's no reason why you should start now; this is the best possible time of year to go on a ferry from a 'rough seas' point of view; it's only a short trip and will be over before you know it.

You are doing so, so well - I wouldn't even contemplate ferries - so put your bravest face on and go for it. *You will be fine*. Remember that the vast majority of people are absolutely fine on ferries. I went on a ferry with ex-bf (who did get quite badly travel sick), and even he managed a four-hour crossing in August without any mishaps.

Well done you for agreeing to it!!!

xx

corblimeymadam Thu 07-Aug-08 10:51:59

mumtoo3 Thu 07-Aug-08 12:03:20

bb - please dont worry, when was the last time you went on a ferry? what are exactly worried about? sorry if i sound blunt, blush

wiggleit Thu 07-Aug-08 13:45:09

bb - sending you loads of calm sea vibes hun! And even more anti-v vibes!!! grin

I'm sure you will be fine, like other people have said if you haven't been seasick before there's no reason why you should start now. It's a bit like travel sickness in cars or buses isn't it, you either get sick or you don't.

I do appreciate where you are coming from though hun and will be thinking of you on your journey tomorrow.

I have never travelled overseas so don't know what i would be like. I know when i first went on a plane i was worried about that but i was fine, even through some turbulance when DD was saying 'my tummy feels funny, i feel sick!' shock

I don't think i would ever be brave enough to go on water. That does scare me. Good on you for even considering it! wink

Hi to everyone!! xx

ladystardust Thu 07-Aug-08 15:09:50

Hey bb - hope you have good holiday.
I would definitely take travel pill and give them to all the family aswell.
On a ferry I always sit outside, away from the engine - even if it's cold and windy and try not to move!
Someone told me sitting on newspaper helps (don't ask me why) - also sitting with crossed legs.
That may be old wive's tales but the crossed legs thing actually does help dizziness and nausea.

I'm sure you'll be fine with enough drugs!

Good luck.

Dottoressa Thu 07-Aug-08 15:16:39

BB - I'm sending all possible calm-sea vibes your way!!

Remember that checking the forecast won't make any difference to your experience (easy for me to say - I'd never even step foot on a boat!!). The weather will be as it will be, and you will deal with it just fine.

I don't think I'd go for drugs personally(too afraid of being sick to take any drugs, even anti-emets!!! How hopeless is that?!), but you do whatever you need to do to make the situation bearable, and to feel that you are in control of it rather than it being in control of you. Remember that you are a very strong person, and you will not be defeated by a poxy ferry!!!

I shall be thinking of you, and have everything crossed for you!

xxx

wiggleit Thu 07-Aug-08 20:04:07

Dot - you are a bit hopeless really aren't you when it comes to drugs??grin (i rely on my anti-emets!)

Personally i would take the drugs just as a prevention. At least if you do start to feel a bit queasy you'll already have something in your system and it won't take so long for something to work.

I've heard it said too that you should sit in the middle of the boat coz you will feel the least motion there..????Don't know but i would try anything if it was me travelling!!

nicand2 Thu 07-Aug-08 20:53:15

Can I join this thread too?

I've had this phobia for ages at varying levels, it almost dissapered about 6 years ago but at the moment it seems to be getting a grip again. Misspollysdolly - I know EXACTLY what you mean about the walls closing in etc!

Anyway I've had enough of it, it's ruled my life for long enough so I've contacted a hypnotherpist who has experience of dealing with this and I'm just waiting for pay day to start treatment. I am almost certain mine is a learnt behaviour and apparantly the success rates of hypnotherapy are really good in re training your brain not to be irrational about it.

I think the worst of it is I have actually experienced life when I had control of this phobia and life with me or 'it' in control is so vastly different I am determined not to let it get a grip again (difficult some days) ...fingers crossed.

BB I did a ferry last year and was really worried but it was fine and you will be fine. When you have a scarry thought tell your brain 'thank you for that interesting thought' and then forget it, I've been trying this for a while and it does make you feel a bit more normal and in control?

wiggleit Thu 07-Aug-08 21:19:46

Welcome nicand2! Let us know when you start your hypnotherapy and how successful it is. I tried it years ago (have tried most therapies) But i had no success and the therapist said that the fear was too deeply rooted (just an excuse maybe???)

I suppose it depends on where you aare at with the phobia too though coz at the time of mt therapy i was really bad. Maybe now my brain would be more susceptable to new positive thoughts? I still have a severe phobia but years ago i was housebound with it.

nicand2 Thu 07-Aug-08 21:33:57

Hi Wiggleit,

I am fairly hopeful it might work as I have such varying degrees of anxiety with it, interestly after my first husband walked out on me 6 years ago it almost entirely dissapeared which i can only put down to the fact that i threw myself into life and really 'faced my fears' I have had over 5 years now where my phobia was really under control but after a long period of stress last year it has come back. Also I am convinced I know what the triggers have been for me developing such a fear so I'm hoping the hypnotherapist can go back to that and sort me out!

I have never been housebound with it although I can totally understand where you are coming from on how debilitating it can get. I was at my worst at age 15 and my parents thought I was anorexic as i lost so much weight by only eating 'safe' foods I was really underweight.

corblimeymadam Fri 08-Aug-08 04:34:31

mumtoo3 Fri 08-Aug-08 07:44:53

Hi all

welcome nicand2, i hope your therapy works, it would be great to know what happens

i use to go on ferries lots as a child, going on holiday to france, and on the annual 'booze run' wink, but i did take joyriders, that bit is not so bad for me, it is more schools, and small spaces of contact! lucky i dont have any children in school, but my ds starts preschool in january ahhhhh, my dd1 is HE, so thats something

sorry to ramble on blush

mumtoo3 Wed 13-Aug-08 08:05:20

Hi all

Just wanted to let you all know, i am off too see the consultant today, so am a bit nervous as not sure what they are going to say!!!

will post later with what happens

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now