Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Emetophobia - let's confront the fear together!

(847 Posts)
corblimeymadam Sun 20-Jul-08 14:22:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumtoo3 Mon 21-Jul-08 21:35:48

Great idea bb, look forward to being involved, i have decided to be more positive how long it lasts i dont know but im in

corblimeymadam Mon 21-Jul-08 21:37:16

Dottoressa Mon 21-Jul-08 22:22:56

Now there's an idea, BB!

As I have mentioned, I am trying to be more positive, but find it all too easy to become anxious and gloomy about this phobia, so it will be interesting to see how this works!

Maybe this will be the emet thread for positive thinking, and the other thread can be for "aaaaargh, I have yet another irrational worry that means I can never go to a branch of Debenhams again as long as I live"?!

I was struck on the other thread by the very sensible comment that we spend years of our lives worrying about literally days of sickness. That does act as a kind of reminder to keep this in proportion...

wiggleit Tue 22-Jul-08 14:34:15

Hey, what a great thread bb..i'm all for positive thinking, it definitley helps. I agree with Dot though, it's all too easy to get down about this phobia.

Thanks for starting this thread bb! xx

I think it's a fab idea to have a 'positive thoughts' thread. Perhaps we can keep the other one open for our 'irrational, negative musings' At the moment, I am clinging on to the fact that 'V' bugs are pretty minor and short-lived. Your DC will 'V' a few times - most of it will be water (except the first). WE CAN AND WILL COPE. THE REALITY IS NEVER AS BAD AS THE EXPECTATION

corblimeymadam Thu 24-Jul-08 22:14:44

Califrau Thu 24-Jul-08 22:19:56

I didn't make a single appearance on teh other thread cos I knew it would be a fear feeding downer. This one has a much better title!

Califrau Thu 24-Jul-08 22:21:48

hurrah Bun! I really hope you are.

Niecie Thu 24-Jul-08 22:27:58

I posted on the other thread in the early days but like Califrau, I found it was winding me up rather than helping me look at things positively. Comparing encounters with the dreaded v got a bit much for me and I had to leave it. This might be a much idea.

How long did your course of treatment take BB? Do you know for sure that you are cured or are you waiting to be 'tested' by RL events before you know for sure?

Great to hear of somebody who is finding a way of dealing with it. Well done.smile

corblimeymadam Fri 25-Jul-08 09:03:48

Tatties Fri 25-Jul-08 09:27:48

I will check in here too (was also too scared to look at the other one!)

BB you sound great, the CBT seems to have been very thorough, and it has clearly had a very positive outcome for you!

Niecie Fri 25-Jul-08 16:16:58

The words 'rough ferry ride' have started a chain of thoughts now!

Perhaps I should get me some therapy pronto!

Again, well done BB.

mumtoo3 Fri 25-Jul-08 19:14:47

well done BB, thats great news, i have my initial assessment on 13th august, but they said it may take a while for cbt to start, but at least i am on the right track

Would like to add my support here as a fellow sufferer. I used to periodically read the other thread but I never posted on it because, well, not to be mean ladies, but I do enough worrying by myself without wanting to share other people's worries. I hope that does not sound rude.

While I am here..... dh went on a course (for work) the other week. Lots of psychological exercises. One of the people running the course is a therapist living nearish us and dh told her about his emetophobic wife. She recommended NLP (which dh has wanted me to do for ages now) and she has since got in contact with dh to give him a list of suitable practitioners working relatively near us. Dh wants me to contact one and start therapy. No way do I want to do this, but it seems such a negative response for me to have. I know everyone will say "go for it" and I really don't want to so I don't know why I have posted this, but if I can't mention it to fellow sufferers, who else can I mention it to?!

corblimeymadam Fri 25-Jul-08 20:16:02

No offence to you or anyone else, but I do not believe in a cure, not for me anyway.

corblimeymadam Sat 26-Jul-08 10:06:05

corblimeymadam Sat 26-Jul-08 11:56:03

Totally agree with everything you say BB. From reading the other thread, I know I am not as badly affected by some situations as some other emetophobes are, but that is just making excuses isn't it? Me trying to pretend I am not "bad" enough to need treatment.

There would not be any money for treatment right now, so I do have another excuse.

I think it is a huge leap of faith going in to any one of these therapies. For me, I just see endless sessions confronting something I would rather not confront, with no gain at the end.

I am delighted that you feel so much happier and positive about the whole thing BB, but personally I would think I was cured until I had endured an "episode". Dh agrees with you though, that just to feel better in between times (which you have certainly achieved) is worth attaining.

that should say "personally I would not think I was cured until....."

wiggleit Sat 26-Jul-08 20:53:46

Hi everyone!

bb - you sound fantastic, you give us all hope! I can't believe the difference in you, it's great!

As you've said you did try to inject positive stuff on the other thread, which i for one found a massive help. You do inspire me. I really hope that one day i can face the therapy and get my life back. I am so very pleased for you. xxx

corblimeymadam Sat 26-Jul-08 21:36:36

corblimeymadam Fri 01-Aug-08 19:54:24

mumtoo3 Fri 01-Aug-08 21:36:22

Hi bb,

how have you been? i have been checking in but i suppose no news is good news wink

mt3 x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now