Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

citalopram and weightloss?

(21 Posts)
copingvquietly Tue 01-Jul-08 00:59:06

ive been on citalopram for a few weeks and ive actually been eating more.but im losing weight.not a bad thing but am worried about how much.my trousers hang off me right now.anyone else noticed this?

copingvquietly Tue 01-Jul-08 10:42:39

anyone around that recognises this?

WigWamBam Tue 01-Jul-08 10:47:15

All ads can cause fluctuations in appetite, and either weight loss or weight gain. It would be ususual for it to cause weight loss without increased appetite, though.

Another thing which can cause unexplained weight loss is an over-active thyroid, so it would be worth going and having some blood tests to rule out anything else rather than just assuming that it's the Citalopram.

WigWamBam Tue 01-Jul-08 10:47:41

Without decreased appetite, of course ... blush

copingvquietly Tue 01-Jul-08 10:57:53

i had a full blood count done last week and nothings come back except my anaemia which we knew about anyway.would thyroid not show on that blood test?

anxiousmax Tue 01-Jul-08 11:39:50

I've lost weight since starting Citalopram too. For the 1st couple of weeks & in fact before I started taking it I had no appetite due to the anxiety. I am eating normally again now but I have lost over a stone.
I think i'm still loosing slightly despite eating relatively normally.

copingvquietly Tue 01-Jul-08 11:53:29

i think ive lost about a stone so far maybe morehmmi did need to lose weight but not like this!im hoping it slows up at some point or i will end up with nothing to wearshock

WigWamBam Tue 01-Jul-08 18:06:40

Thyroid problems won't show up with a FBC - you need a thyroid function test.

Have a word with the GP next time you're there.

MindingMum Tue 01-Jul-08 18:43:39

IME my substantial weight loss was due to the fact that my dose was too high. My dose was adjusted and unfortunately the weight went straight back on sad

Arabica Thu 03-Jul-08 23:38:40

I don't want to sound disrespectful to anyone who is unhappy about losing weight. But I posted a few days ago that citalopram was making me eat loads more & I was gaining weight (when I'd been put on it in the first place to help with binge eating) so when I read your posts my first response was, it's not fair! [stamping foot emoticon]

copingvquietly Fri 04-Jul-08 21:37:48

sorry arabicablush

Snowstorm Fri 04-Jul-08 21:42:01

I used Citalopram for a year and gained weight on it ... but only because it hugely reduced my state of anxiety and therefore I ate a bit more (can't eat if I'm stressed) and wasn't running to the loo with the runs, (caused by stress) all the time.

Not sure if that helps or not though!

Arabica Fri 04-Jul-08 23:45:19

No need to be blush, everyone reacts differently to medication...I am waiting for a referral to the local eating disorders unit and maybe they'll be able to prescribe something a bit more helpful.
Interesting point about the anxiety--I'm finding that I'm less anxious in some situations since starting citalopram, such as meeting new people.

copingvquietly Sat 05-Jul-08 00:34:14

the problem is that before i was on citalopram i wasnt eating because i was too stressed so i was losing weight.but now im still losing weight even though im eating semi properly now.it seems like i cant win either way.

littlewoman Mon 07-Jul-08 19:29:19

I get weight and appetite increase on ADs. Even though you may be eating semi properly, it may not be enough to sustain your current body weight, CVQ. And weight gain can take up to a month to show, anyway. So don't be too disheartened. Perhaps give it another couple of weeks and see how it goes?

Fo0tprint Fri 15-Oct-10 22:19:15

I am about to start a course of citalopram and i am dreading it. Everyone tells me i will put on weight but on here i read that people have lost weight. I put on weight with the mirena coil and i am really body concious anyway. I am over bullemiarexia battle after 11 years and have been discharged from my councelor and dietician for 6 months.

But i am so depressed over body shape , mostly the overhang of skin from my cesarian section. i had twins some time ago 15 years. tried to save the money for the op and its getting me down so bad. if i put on weight id be suicidal.

I eat healthy and go to the gym 6 days a week.

Please mums what do I expect ??

orangeflutie Sun 17-Oct-10 08:10:05

It's difficult to say because everyone's different. However Citalapram is an SSRI and is known as an appetite suppressant.

I managed to loose half a stone on Citalapram over six weeks as I completely lost any desire to eat. I went to the doctors and was taken off it. Had I been on it much longer I would probably have become quite ill as I had a lot of unpleasant side effects.

I take dosulepin now, an older tri-cyclic AD and feel very well. My appetite increased slightly when I started it and my weight when back to normal.

Maybe when you next see your GP have a chat about your weight concerns.

streets2go Sat 05-Nov-16 16:52:08

Has anyone on citalopram. experienced more visits to the toilet? me I have gone from 3-4 times a week, to 3 times a day. + more wees too.. could the drug be relaxing my bowels ? I wonder?

streets2go Sat 05-Nov-16 16:59:00

Has anyone on citalopram. experienced more visits to the toilet? me I have gone from 3-4 times a week, to 3 times a day. + more wees too.. could the drug be relaxing my bowels ? I wonder?

SecretSaffron Sun 06-Nov-16 08:49:06

I have been on citalopram twice. Both times I initially lost weight, but the second time, when I was on it for longer (around 3 years,) I ended up gaining significant amounts of weight. i am off it now and just about trying to shift some of my massive weight gain.hmm
I think you may find it evens out for you, but not a bad idea to check with GP to rule anything else out.

SecretSaffron Sun 06-Nov-16 08:50:52

oh sorry, just realised this is an old thread! blush I imagine you are sorted by now OP! sorry!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now