Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Mirena coil and depression/anxiety?

(136 Posts)
Molesworth Thu 19-Jun-08 12:40:06

Has anyone else using the mirena coil experienced side effects such as 'brain fog', depression and anxiety?

I had mine put in at the beginning of 2004, and since then I have been incapacitated by depression and anxiety. I've always been prone to depression and anxiety, so I put it down to some traumatic life events over the last few years, but I have never been this unwell for this long. I have mentioned the possibility that the Mirena may be a factor to several health professionals, only to be told that it can't possibly have anything to do with my mental health since the progesterone level is much lower than that of the pill. However, I've come across a recent research study that found hormone levels to be double that of the minipill!

Having done some research on the internet I can see that thousands of women are reporting side effects from the Mirena, some of them very serious. In a lot of cases these symptoms have disappeared or lessened greatly after having the thing removed. Some women are taking legal action against the manufacturers and the FDA (in the US).

I've made an appointment to have mine removed next week. It'll be very interesting to see what difference it makes (if any!). If I make a miraculous recovery I'll be relieved, but also furious that this supposedly harmless device has effectively ruined my capacity to cope with life for four years.

I could be barking up the wrong tree, but thought it worth posting to see if anyone else has had similar experiences with Mirena.

RelievedRamona Sun 02-Jun-13 21:24:26

I thought I was becoming a monster. I had my Mirena placed in April 2013. I've only had it for about a 6 weeks. In these six weeks I've experienced aggression, uncontrolled anxiety, EXTREME mood swings, and aggressive thoughts and suicidal ideations.

Now, I've dealt with PPD and that stemmed into manic-depression. Never have I ever felt this low or this unstable. I don't feel in control. The past two weeks my actions and feelings have caused me a separation from my son's father and I have become a person to fear in my family. I've even become afraid of myself! I'm grateful that my son has not seen any of my outlandish behaviors.

Anyhow, I made the decision to research the root of the cause of this sudden change and first spoke with my psychiatrist about it possibly being due to other hormonal issues I've experienced and not just an extreme manic/depressive episode. I explained that I've had to go through various methods of hormone therapies to tackle some uterine issues and was advised by my ob/gyn that an IUD would be last resort. I simply asked my psych, "Could the hormones that I'm on and off with and possibly the Mirena hormones trigger depressive episodes for me?" The doctor told me it could send me into a depressive state but he wouldn't relate it to the Mirena. I thought What?! Did you just say yes and no in the same sentence? So I did research on all the medicine that I've recently had to take and find a root to this new behavior.

I started in on the anxiety, the negative thoughts, and the constant crying. It began with the Mirena. So I looked up side effects and even checked out forums because I feel like sometimes manufacturers omit some serious stuff. Sure enough I've found that I'm not the only person going through these extremes. Some women didn't have them until later than others or didn't realize it until later but the symptoms are linked nonetheless. There was so much hopelessness that I've dragged into in the past few weeks. I seriously feel like such a monster.

I've found hope. I'm calling my ob/gyn doctor first thing Monday morning and getting this thing removed!!

PMR12SD Tue 13-Aug-13 17:08:07

I'm 49 and had my Mirena fitted in January this year as I had very heavy, irregular and prolonged periods, fibroids causing pain, plus a history of endometriosis and surgery between babies. After a 6 months of irritating bleeding/spotting without letup, I finally stopped bleeding. However, I have put on a load of weight despite exercising and eating the same, I have lost my sex drive, I feel rubbish, tearful and deflated a lot of the time, and feel like an old lady constantly forgetting things and not being able to explain what I want to say. I've also started having the abdominal fibroid cramping pain again, which goes on for 36 hours at a time. Mirena was my last resort to postpone the inevitable hysterectomy. I've made an appointment to have my coil taken out next week. I know it works for lots of people; obviously not me. This thread and also another relating to the weight gain on Mirena, have been very insightful. Thank you.

Veryrelieved Sat 14-Sep-13 10:14:48

I'm 47 and have had 2 coils fitted. The first one I had for around 4.5 years, it was very painful when fitted and I felt like fainting as the doctor did it and it went right up into my womb. When the Dr. came to remove it it got stuck so had to have it surgically removed under general anaesthitic and another put it. I realise now that I have never felt right, as in feeling depressed and over anxious with either coil and was told after having my two children that as the progesterone would only be in my womb that it wouldn't cause side effects. The second coil I seemed to have a lot bleeding with and after a couple of months couldn't sleep without the light on, something I'd never had a problem with, 2 years later my Dr. prescribed more progesterone on top of the coil to reduce my bleeding, followed by a little white progesterone pill to stop it while on holiday. Next thing I was experiencing horrific panic attacks (having never suffered one in my life before), fear of going into dark small places (again never encountered before), even shops and supermarkets if I couldn't see a window. Also, part of my tongue went numb for over a week. Thought I was having a break down, realise it was this synthetic progesterone, threw the tablets away and have just had my coil which came out quickly and easily at the surgery taken out yesterday. I feel so much better already and realise now the anxiety and depression I've been suffering is down to this merina coil which should be banned.

Had personal stories from around 10 people, colleagues and friends who have had this coil and all have suffered symptoms of either depression with suicidal thoughts, anxiety, painful breasts and breathing difficulties at times; which they have now linked to when they had the coil in apart from one who seems to have been fine. I believe the copper coil is fine but I'm not having anything in after this and my husband is going to have the snip.

kiera26 Wed 20-Nov-13 11:53:50

I have read how well St. John's Wort works for anxiety and depression and wish I could use it myself but you really shouldn't be taking it if you have a Mirena iud, it can stop it from working as a contraceptive! I tried looking around for info to back up what I've read but I couldn't find anything substantial. It is written in the Mirena leaflets and booklets not to take it though, it might be worth disussing with your doctor or gynaecologist (although even some professionals seem confused as to whether or not it would interact with Mirena).

kiera26 Wed 20-Nov-13 11:56:10

*discussing not disussing

*it interacts with not would interact with #badgrammar!

AshleaUK Wed 27-Nov-13 22:02:00

Hi, had mu mirena put in 2 years ago after my first baby. I have previously had the mini-pill (progesterone only) and only took that for 1 month as the side effects were so bad, complete loss of sex drive, minutes of contemplating suicide, depression, mood swings. I didn't have any periods for 5 months after this. So this made me realise that i must be very sensitive to progesterone.
I did a good bit of research into Mirena and decided that whilst it has the progesterone in it, it is localised and the company and doctors were confident that any side effects should me very minimal.
2 years of ups and downs (not helped by money worries) I tried my best to hang in there and allow the mirena to settle in.
I got to a point where I realised that despite having a period each month I would instead have 5 days a month of feeling exhausted and anxious and low. I have definitely put on half a stone in weight that is purely a consequence of the mirena. But the final straw was when every other month I would end up having a nervous breakdown. I would be a wreck, shaking, anxious and incredibly upset. I realised that I couldn't go on like this.
So a week and a half ago I had the mirena removed, painless and effortless (like the insertion).
Couple of days later I started to bleed heavily and then heavier again. Then came the blood clots. I would notice a cramp/contraction as it was passing too which made it even more uncomfortable. The clots varied in size between half an inch to 2 inches in diameter. I was exhausted too and very dizzy. I also had night sweats for 6 days. (just like after i had my baby). I ended up having to take 2 days off work to recover. I upped my iron intake to help with the blood loss and it seemed to help. My doctor meanwhile checked I had no infection with a swab, clear and advised me to keep an eye on things.
9 days after having the coil removed and the bleeding stopped. Still felt bit tired.
Last night (11 days after mirena removal) I felt very lethargic and flu like. I went to bed and all night i experienced nightmares. These were nightmares that exhausted me, I felt very anxious in my sleep and no matter how many times I turned over I still couldn't shake these nightmares. (I may have the odd anxious dream now and again but nothing like this).
By 6am I decided to sit up and go to the toilet to try to stir myself out of the dreams. It took me a few minutes to stand as I still felt exhausted, confused and dizzy. I knew the time because the heating had just come on, usually it is still quite cold at this time but i noticed I felt very hot and nauseaous.
I made my way to the toilet and collapsed on it, sitting right back. My fiance came in as he didnt realise I was in the toilet and I told him i felt sick, I was at this point coherent but still dazed and not in full control of my exhausted body.
He went to check on our son, meanwhile I fell unconscious and collapsed onto the floor (hurting my neck and head also). He came in to find me screaming at the top of my voice. He tried to tell me to calm down and was tapping me to get me to respond. All I remember was feeling like I was screaming but I couldnt hear myself screaming. I was aware of one out of 15 words that my fiance said, the other words I just didnt hear. I also was unresponsive and delirious until he started yelling louder telling me our son was scared because I was screaming. He repeated this over and over until eventually I managed to hear this and it took all my power to try to regain control of my body and mind. My fiance managed to pull me up and prop me in a slumped position against the wall. I then realised that what had just happened was not at all normal so told him to ring for an ambulance.
By the time I got to hospital my obs were perfect, no temperature, good blood pressure, normal heart rate. Whatever had happened my body had recovered almost instantly. They took my blood and tested for everything. Only thing found was a minor cold (which I have had a slight runny nose from but nothing else). They decided that as nothing was found to be a cause and as I am healthy (as can be) that it was possibly due to stress and exhaustion. I mentioned the mirena and the many side effects that doctors aren't widely aware of, but he couldn't really say other than it could have been a factor.
I feel ok now, very tired, I could sleep forever and a bit groggy.
I have been reading about nightmares from the mirena and it appears other women have had them too. I am now going to carry on reading to see if there is anything I can do to help with the mirena progesterone withdrawal effects and go to my local doctor to discuss it.
If anyone else has a similar experience then please share. I hope my experience helps others too. Good Luck to everyone!

passion3flower Sat 02-Aug-14 01:45:32

There's a very informative site with lots of information on how to lose weight and get rid of the mirena iud side effects and find other natural birth control options. Check out: mirenadetox.com/mirena-weight-gain/ Her detox has also been immensely helpful to my recovery and I seriously recommend it

Claireblack10 Sat 25-Oct-14 23:05:53

I had depression for 11 years in my twenties and was on the pill for all of that time. I was then diagnosed with a dermoid cyst the size of a grapefruit in 2005 and since it was removed have not suffered from depression at all. So nearly 10 years!

With my family now complete I decided to have the mirena coil fitted. I felt fine for the first 6 weeks and then started to feel extremely anxious. It came on very quickly and I know the symptoms all too well. I lasted 48 hours feeling this way (how I stood 11 years I'll never know) and have removed it myself. I don't want it to escalate further and am not prepared to wait and see if the symptoms calm down. Life is too short.

I'm sure the mirena coil works well for loads of women but certainly not for everyone. Go with your gut instinct. I know my own body now and will continue to listen to it. It's a shame I didn't do that a long time ago!

Pricesamantha Tue 28-Oct-14 00:54:26

Hay everyone couldent help but comment ,,I have felt like I I have been living in a nightmear since January ,,I sufferd an ectopic pregnancy in jan which it burst in my tube ,,with the shock of it I then had a mild stroke at the aged of 27 ,,left with one tube that was found to be damaged to the doctor told me it wouldent be possible to get pregnant until its cleared ,,I later found out in may I was pregnant over the moon I'd say ,,but in June found no heart beat ,,I was told by the doc to have a mc coil fitted for a good space of time to let my body and mind recover and oh my lord it's felt like a slow labour since June curled over in pain ,,I am having sharp pain in my left side ,,my eating habits are descusting and my stomach looks like am pregnant ,,I have gone from 9st 3pound upto 11st 2 in a few mths I Cba doing anythink I am speaking to my partner like somethink off the end ov my shoe ,,I have been with my partner 10 years and enjoyed are relationship up until June ,,I am not in the mood for sex atall ,,I am getting my mc removed at 4 tomorrow and carnt wait smile xxx

Jillyo1 Sat 22-Nov-14 22:58:24

Hi just wondered if it's worth me having the mirena coil taken out I have had this in for about 3 yrs I am basically suffering from anxiety? I have seen the gp had my hormones tested, thyroid, and everything else all negative. Back in August I had my first panic attack whilst on holiday it was awful and my holiday was ruined by this attack it felt as if I was on drugs and I have never taken drugs at all! I even had the doctor out on hols and he gave me tablets and injection to calm me down but it didn't really help I couldn't wait to go home �� I am even seeing a counsiller which I pay privately, I am just waiting to see someone at the doctors for more help getting a bit desperate. Anyway any advice would be welcome? By the way I have decided not to take any tablets off the doctors I tried them but just felt awful just made my throat even tighter. Thanks

tazz86 Fri 28-Nov-14 00:15:57

I'm so glad I read this thread!! I had the marina fitted last November due to constantly bleeding for 6 months after having my daughter. Didn't hurt when fitted and I felt ok for the first 6/7 weeks. I then started to feel low, irritable, crying all the time, was horrible to my husband, just couldn't be arsed with anything. Finally went to the doctors and was told I had post natal depression. I was on tablets for 6months and by the end of the 6months I started to feel more normal.
I've now been off them for a few months and it's all happening again but worse. I have never suffered with depression before, always been such a happy go lucky person, but the last year I have felt like a different person. It's now got to the point where I don't have any interest in playing with my daughter, which makes me feel like a bloody awful mum. When I've been to the doctors previously and mentioned the coil may be causing it, they have always said it has nothing to do with it, but after reading this I'm convinced it is the problem. I've also got family and friends who have had the maremma fitted and have had no problems, so I guess I'm just the unlucky one. I'm going to make an app to have it removed x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now