Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Coming off Citalopram - how to do it, any side effects ?

(18 Posts)
Mojomummy Thu 20-Dec-07 13:02:49

I've decided that I should come off this- the restless legs are the main reason & although Citalopram is supposed to take the edge off, I really don't feel any different.

I'm on 40mg at the moment, any advise on how to come off, can I just stop ? what will happen if I do ?

dustystaronthechristmastreeMSC Thu 20-Dec-07 13:11:05

Don't just stop. Discuss it with your gp. They will usually get you to reduce the dose gradually over a period of 2-4 weeks.

How long have you been on it?

Mojomummy Thu 20-Dec-07 13:14:11

Since August. I started with 20mg, then increased to 30mg, then 40mg. I don't feel any different from taking it TBH.

dustystaronthechristmastreeMSC Thu 20-Dec-07 13:26:04

Are you taking it for the restless legs or are they a side effect? (sorry I'm a bit cluelessblush)

Mojomummy Thu 20-Dec-07 13:59:27

no they are a side effect

MascaraOHara Thu 20-Dec-07 14:03:19

I came off Cit once before (back on it now) it wqas fine.. I didn't have any side effects at all.. you need to discuss with your gp though and I was on 20mg not 40mg hth a little

Mojomummy Thu 20-Dec-07 18:06:11

I just feel so tired & lethargic - I'm sure I would be better off them.

I am seeing a counsellor once a week at the moment & I'm finding that helpful & supportive.

Perhaps I'll give my dr a call..

Thanks though..

ConnorTraceptive Thu 20-Dec-07 18:15:26

I came off very slowly so for 1 week i took 40mg one day, 30mg the next day, then 40mg, then 30mg etc, after one week I then took 30mg everyday for a week, then the next week alternated taking 30/20mg and so on. Hope that makes sense. I was fine coming off it was only after finishing completely that I had some side effects (vertigo type symptoms that lasted 2 weeks)

Mojomummy Thu 20-Dec-07 18:57:40

I've started breaking my 40mg down into 20mg. Sometimes I miss a day (well, twice).
Connortraceptive, did you go down to 10mg then 5 mg ? Did this take you about a month ?

warmsummersday Thu 20-Dec-07 19:26:39

Hi. I was just about to start a post for myself on the same subject! Hope you don't mind if I join in.

I am on 20mg. Then got down to taking 1 every 3 days but was having side effects (vertigo symptoms) so hae now been taking 10mg every other day. Don't know where to go from here and will you always have side effects which ever way you come off them? I felt so bad after the 3rd day that I had to take a 20mg one again.

Thanks.

Mojomummy Thu 20-Dec-07 21:01:45

have a look at "MIND"
some quite helpful info here.

ConnorTraceptive Fri 21-Dec-07 19:25:57

Hi mojo, no my last week was 10mg one day nothing at all the next.

took about 7 weeks, i wanted to ttake it really slow

sweetboy Fri 21-Dec-07 19:34:16

I tried to come off them recently but have gone back on (10mg per day) after a few weeks. I don't think I was ready to come off them mood wise as I've had an awful year; but for the sake of this thread - I did have lots of side effects coming off...some headaches, dizziness and the weirdest feeling that my brain was 20 seconds slower than the rest of my body. Thats the only way I can describe it! I would get advice from GP but just do as gradually as possible, although you've not been on them long I guess so it may not be too noticable.
Good luck! x

EyeballsandherSunburntNorks Mon 22-Jun-09 10:45:35

Bumping this even though it's old because I want a bit more advice on coming off it. Am currently on 20mg which I reduced (with GP approval) from 40mg at Christmas. Have been on them since last March so about 15 months now. Would like to get rid of them altogether and am wondering the best way to do it. I don't know if I have the patience to do it over many weeks as I just want them gone now.

TIA

sweetnitanitro Mon 22-Jun-09 10:54:22

Just in case anyone searches for this- I went cold turkey from 40mg and the main side effect was dizziness, I kept falling over blush DH thought it was hilarious angry. I had to go back to my GP and get weaned off.

Eyeball- my GP had me on 20mg a day, then 10mg and then 10mg every other day. I didn't have any strong side effects that way. It only took about 3 or 4 weeks I think, it was a long time ago though so I can't remember exactly. Best talk it over with your GP.

EyeballsandherSunburntNorks Mon 22-Jun-09 12:28:21

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid the gp as I had enough gp visits to last me a lifetime last year. I know I should but I thought I might be able to do it on my own.

sweetnitanitro Mon 22-Jun-09 13:36:57

I guess you could do it on your own, just don't go cold turkey like I did grin I was also on a low dose of lorazepam so I dunno if the way I came off citalopram would work for you as well.

Asquith96 Sun 03-Jul-16 14:57:31

Hi,I have come off vital operant after being on 30mg 20mg and 10mg for a period of a year I have been off them for nearly a week now are there any methods I can do ect to help with the feeling sick and light headed? I feel mentally fine just the physical symptoms that are affecting me smile
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now