Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Meeting at work so anxious

(8 Posts)
Crazy789 Wed 16-Nov-16 10:43:26

Iv a meeting at work comming up I think about my performance and probation . I'm so anxious presuming the worst Iv already started looking for other jobs . Is anyone else like this . Managers a bitch and I'm nervous she will make me cry

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 16-Nov-16 14:36:52

I have been exactly where you are..

I was seriously ill with Sarcoids and it triggered my manic depressive see saw into a full on "man in a dressing gown" depression. Management took against me because I was behaving so badly, and put me on a capability review ... i recognised it as a process to sack me.

I saw my GP who recognised I was in a bad way and signed me off work for a month... In the end I was off work for 5 months.. Once signed off work I was safe from the so called process. By the time I was ready to go back to work, management had retracted the capability review.

However, if you are in your "probation" period, it may change the situation. Can I suggest you speak with CAB?

CotswoldStrife Wed 16-Nov-16 14:44:50

Do you know what the meeting is about Crazy or are you just assuming? What did the company say about the meeting?

AnxiousCarer Wed 16-Nov-16 18:38:00

crazy are you a member of a union? Could you discuss with union rep? They may even be able to go with you. Where I work probationary interviews are just part of a process and you would hopefully already have discussed any issues that might come up. We do them at 1 month 3 months and 6 months and can extend furthur if felt its needed. We would meet new staff fortnightly to discuss their performance and learning needs in between this anyway.

Crazy789 Thu 17-Nov-16 10:08:53

Hi - I emailed and asked its about probation and training . Feel part releaved . My anxiety is a massive issue and I over think -'and don't know how to stop . But My manager is a bully which really puts me on edge . She hadn't done any training and I think my probation will be extended . When I have asked for help she is to busy - but tbh I have avoided it as well as she is vile - takes the mick etc

AnxiousCarer Thu 17-Nov-16 10:35:31

Sorry to hear you don't find your manager approachable, is there anyone you could discuss this with, e.g. other more senior staff in the team? Or speak to about training etc. Glad you are feeling better, it will be an opportunity to discuss training needs and how to meet them too. My advice would be to prepare by jotting down a few notes. What do you feel has gone well so far, what are your strengths? What could have gone better, what are your weaker areas, that you want/need to develop? What opportunities are there for you to develop furthur? Are there any barriers to this?

I alway find if someone comes to these meetings well prepared and comes across proactive it gives a good impression. I also find when attending these types of meetings with senior staff it helps me feel more in control having done this preparation beforehand.

Crazy789 Fri 18-Nov-16 09:37:14

I have written some notes and trying to stay positive x

AnxiousCarer Fri 18-Nov-16 13:15:40

Good luck crazy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now